Crack found on tyre

Ftco

Just found a crack on the sidewall of right rear tyre when washing. It extends about 1 inch from the sidewall to the thread area. Is it safe to use this tyre for another few months?

Tyres just done about 32k km and was fitted in Jun 2010.

post-15277-1322893205_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

1. Impossible to tell the depth of the crack from the photo

2. Self help method you can try include squeezing super glue into gap to stop it from widening (and observe the damage over few days);

3. Good to let a trusted tyre shop to give their opinion as well

4. Seems like your thread has not much left either, suggest to do early replacement.

Good luck!

Just found a crack on the sidewall of right rear tyre when washing. It extends about 1 inch from the sidewall to the thread area. Is it safe to use this tyre for another few months?

I understood from tyreshop that the side wall area have no steel wire enforcement so it is only the rubber....with cracks..I suggest you change ASAP...drive real slow to the tyre shop...your life is worth more than the couple of hundred dollar price tag....

Actually the thread depth is still very good. Good to go another 20k km. Guess I try to measure the depth of the crack by sliding a piece of paper into it.

Actually the thread depth is still very good. Good to go another 20k km. Guess I try to measure the depth of the crack by sliding a piece of paper into it.

Do you have peace of mind..driving around with cracks on your wheels? ....It is not deep now...doesn't mean it won't get deeper when the car is moving...It could be hours...it could minutes before it crack further...just worry for you...

Edited by LoverofCar

i have similar experience before. how i noticed? discovered tyre flat and went to tyre shop for patch up. then discovered crack on the side wall. cannot repair.

changed 4 tyres as mine tyres were due to change too.

i have similar experience before. how i noticed? discovered tyre flat and went to tyre shop for patch up. then discovered crack on the side wall. cannot repair.

changed 4 tyres as mine tyres were due to change too.

Same for me and worst it was raining heavily like now. Luckily got my foreign colleague (suay as we first met) and also 2 helpful delivery truck driver and friend to help change the tyre with my spare one in the heavy rain. [thumbsup]

Drove to a tyre shop and was told can't patch due to side wall cracked.

I will change if I were you. Else you will keep thinking about the crack when you are cornering, driving at higher speed, etc.

What for? Just change for piece of mind and enjoy the drive.

Suay suay you drive halfway then the tyre lost pressure and you banged into a railing or something. The $$$ you lost will be more than the cost of a tyre.

Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

Anyway, it's just me. The choice is up to you ultimately.

Edited by Fcw75

I will change if I were you. Else you will keep thinking about the crack when you are cornering, driving at higher speed, etc.

What for? Just change for piece of mind and enjoy the drive.

Suay suay you drive halfway then the tyre lost pressure and you banged into a railing or something. The $$$ you lost will be more than the cost of a tyre.

Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

Anyway, it's just me. The choice is up to you ultimately.

I second that and all those who urge you to replace the cracked tyre.

If you are not replacing all four, you should change both the tyres on the same axle to ensure equal left & right traction and braking effect, especially now with raining weather & wet roads. Check and replace the one more worn.

Once I had a crack (running along the circumference) on my tyre which were still new (My brand) I drove straight away to the tyre shop to replace all 4!.

I believe your life worth more than the cost to replace the all tire now. That is only one tyre. So swap with the spare tyre if it is compatible. Otherwise replace it now. Do not wait till it burst (sidewall likely only got 2 ply reinforcement not 4 ply).

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Change bro. Cracks on the sidewall = failure of the structural integrity of the tyre.

↡ Advertisement