Spare tire. do u remove or leave in boot?

Ivansyl

as above. wanted to know if the majority of drivers leave their spare tire in their boot or leave it at home.

My spare tyre with me since childhood. How to miss it? But I left the car spare tyre as it is in the car boot for its original purpose.

↡ Advertisement

the spare tyre serves as a cushion for rear collision, if u remove it. in the event of rear collision, claim on insurance may be a problem

Twincharged

I think all this are myth.... . car designer dun design safety feature with the spare tyre in mind, and also mean what? if you happen to use spare tyre due to punture means ur car for that moment no longer road worthy??

If you use the spare tire then the original tire will be in the boot isn't it. Don't tell me when you get a puncture you change to the spare and leave the original behind. lol.

• Praise 1

One more thing is that for those Upsized rims / tyres...

You suddenly fit a downsized spare tyre, esp up to 2", won't it be really hard to drive.. ?

Twincharged

One more thing is that for those Upsized rims / tyres...

You suddenly fit a downsized spare tyre, esp up to 2", won't it be really hard to drive.. ?

The overall diameter should be the same even if you changed to bigger rims. I think only difference is the weight.

Edited by Nzy

I have kena 5 nail punctures in the lifespan of my former tyres (RE001). Somehow, that tyre is a nail magnet. I do not carry a spare tyre around. Yet, of these 5 occasions, I was able to make it to a workshop for repairs even when it was down to only 70psi; the stiffer sidewalls of the RE001 helped.

My advice is, if you want to remove the spare, go ahead. But check your tyres regularly, especially if you have been to high risk areas like workshops or construction areas.

Edited by Gasguzzler

Kept spare tyre in the car for 5 years but never used.

Last 1 year, I used twice - once in SG, once in JB *priceless*

For that life-saving experience, I will continue to keep my spare tyre..

True, there may be rare occasion that a puncture occurs but then that's when you wish that you have the spare tyre in the car !

Car manufacturers have taken step to reduce car weight by supplying "doughnut" spare tyres instead of full size one.

But having spare tyre in car will be useless if the air pressure (much higher than for normal tyre) in it is not regularly checked and maintained. And if the driver does not know how to remove the punctured tyre and install the spare one properly and safely.

Although the spare tyre may not be designed to strengthen the car rear structure, it has a definite cushioning effect should the car be rammed at the rear by another car. The shape of the spare tyre well also strengthen the boot floor structure. Having the spare tyre present may perhaps save rear passengers from injury.

So I would rather have the spare tyre in the car than be penny wise pound foolish by trying to save a negligible amount of fuel. More fuel can be saved by not leaving engine & air con running when car is stopped.

Check and do rotation of ur tyres regularly, dun wait until it reach 10000km den u do rotation. Advise to do less den tat, ard 9500km. No matter whether the tyres gonna reach the tread wear indicator, change the tyres after 4 times of rotation. Change to a better tyres which the side wall is more harder, this is to prevent the side wall been puncture. I often see driver change their tyres only when the wear n tear reach the indicator, this will cause the tyre to explode if u are trying to go even further. drive slowly with a puncture tyre and find the nearest petrol station to pump ur tyre den proceed to do the repair of the tyre. if the tyre is been puncture at the side wall, no choice u have to call for tow service, that will not be the case if ur tyre side wall is hard and u do regular checks. Fyi, try to change the tyres in less than 2yrs, due to the climate and heat produce by the tyres will short span the lifetime, and may cause the tyres to explode. Furthermore, the cost to change tyres is much less compare to a explode tyre which cause accident and damage will be devastating. So removing of spare tyre can improve FC but remember to do all the checks, happy driving :)

If you use the spare tire then the original tire will be in the boot isn't it. Don't tell me when you get a puncture you change to the spare and leave the original behind. lol.

nowadays many cars have smaller spare tyres thus the tyres boot space is "smaller" in short if change the original tyre will be left in boot.

question is if you leave in boot it can help on safety?

leave it inside better..

once i kena puncture, duno which idiot left a nail on the road.. ( or did it purposely put 1 nail for my tire)

in the end, i made it to a petrol kiosk to change.. luckily got a helpful guy (who coincidently does have tools to change the tires)

so i think just leave it there.. how much more fuel can 1 tire use anyway??

i try lifting my 17" tyre with rim before. Its god damn heavy sia.

its near impossible putting it into the boot after changing.

So a spare tyre is pretty much useless........ [laugh]

I'll rather limp the car to the nearest workshop.

Edited by Hiphiphoray

i try lifting my 17" tyre with rim before. Its god damn heavy sia.

its near impossible putting it into the boot after changing.

So a spare tyre is pretty much useless........ [laugh]

I'll rather limp the car to the nearest workshop.

cannot limp la.. if too much air leak out.. will damage e rims..

my car comes with 18" tires.. but the spare tire from manufacturer comes with 16".. If i ever have to use it, will it poses a problem?

↡ Advertisement