Switching from FWD to RWD

Vega

It depends on what RWD you are looking for.

First, most of the powerful cars are RWD (some of them AWD), i have not come across FWD performance car.

Second, the rx8 case, even given a FWD he would have screwed himself the same way, it is a driving behavior of the driver, nothing to do with the car.

The LFA was also a hao lian problem, aggravating the problem was the power of the car and the poor driver skill.

Third, the are many RWD on the road, I don't see them having problem driving.

i don't really see much difference in driving a RWD, though it take a bit of getting use to the characteristic. i personally think a RWD is nicer to drive.

Civic Type R?? Its FWD right?

• Praise 2

not really leh , bmw benz lexus etc all rwd,

i dun see them any less safer then driving fwd 

(i switch between both )

wat u mean by those less safe is properly those rwd super car,

which confirm is dangerous in the hand of idiot (even if they make fwd also no use)

It is a fact that FWD is safer for the average driver,

The examples you gave mostly dont drive aggressively and probably can't tell if its RWD or not lol. 

Anyways with traction control, your power will most likely get cut whenever you try something beyond the limits.

Supercharged

86/BRZ or mx5 or rx8 kym? haha i'm still a young man with not much $$.

admittedly my driving style can be described as a bit aggressive, and having only driven FWD so far I can't assume my skill to be too high. any tips on how I can up skill in a safe environment?

i would recommend 986/987 Boxster/Cayman , u'll be surprised they don't cost much more compared the models u mentioned.

once u bought your RWD, go for advanced driving courses (conducted by various groups) with it.

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 1

not really leh , bmw benz lexus etc all rwd,

i dun see them any less safer then driving fwd 

(i switch between both )

wat u mean by those less safe is properly those rwd super car,

which confirm is dangerous in the hand of idiot (even if they make fwd also no use)

Not all BMW, BENZ and Lexus is RWD.

i would recommend 986/987 Boxster/Cayman , u'll be surprised they don't cost much more compared the models u mentioned.

once u bought your RWD, go for advanced driving courses (conducted by various groups) with it.

These would be COE-renewed models?

Where can I find more info on these driving courses?

Actually for me for a "run of the mill" car model for basic use (we dont have snow or those kind of roads) 

I prefer the FWD as then the car does not have a hump at the back seat to accomodate the tranmission drive shaft axle and makes the back seat more comfortable for the middle pax (assuming) that if 3 pax are seated behind; Middle pax with the hump makes it akward especially if the middle pax happens to be a woman  [gorgeous] in the rear seat     

Also it makes it easy for my dog to walk thru also;  -_- in that tight space  

but then again because of economies of scale and large scale production to keep the design constant some FWD cars also have a hump as I remember the Audi A6 when I saw it about 4 years back was FWD but it had a huge hump in the centre still  

Edited by BanCoe

It is a fact that FWD is safer for the average driver,

Haha, while this is true, I was scared stiff when my FWD car understeered. So I actually feel much more confident with RWD. Now that I am back on FWD, I never dared to push the limits anymore.

Edited by andrewyewkc

Haha, while this is true, I was scared stiff when my FWD car understeered. So I actually feel much more comfortable with RWD. Now that I am back on FWD, I never dared to push the limits anymore.

Lol. If you had tried it first on a RWD,you may not dare to drive le bro.

I using AWD now. And it's stable. But have to live with higher consumption

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Given that FWD is quite aggressive i doubt RWD will be able to get market share since they are quite a new player

There are also more FWD choices than RWD choices in the market.

Lol. If you had tried it first on a RWD,you may not dare to drive le bro.

I using AWD now. And it's stable. But have to live with higher consumption

I pushed hard on RWD in rain.  No issue.

I pushed hard on FWD in rain.  No issue.

There are also more FWD choices than RWD choices in the market.

Because it is cheaper to make.

This is last Corolla which is RWD

post-16870-0-37837100-1524661576_thumb.jpg

In subsequent generation, it is all FWD.  The only exception is Levins/Trueno.

• Praise 1

Reviving this thread cos I have the same question! [:)] Been driving FWD ever since getting license 7 years ago and aspiring to drive RWD one day.

Recalling recent events i.e. Lexus LFA crash, RX-8 crash.. how did you learn to control your RWD? Did it take a similar scary/painful experience?

Most Important,NEVER switch off Traction Control in RWD Cars.

Supersonic

Most Important,NEVER switch off Traction Control in RWD Cars.

And no balding rear tires?  :D

↡ Advertisement