Soaked floor carpet. Help..

Frostie

Hi all,

I always thought I smell something whenever I get into my car. It was a damp smell. Moist smell.

Suspecting that perhaps the floor mats may not have been dried properly after a car wash, I bend down to touch it. To my disbelief, the whole mat was soaking wet. And when I flipped up the mat, I found my floor carpet soaking wet too. I thought to myself, there is no way that a not properly dried floor mat would cause such a mayhem.

I then checked the passenger's side. It was totally dry.

So what could have contributed to this? A leaky under carriage? Water from wet roads sipping up? Funnily, only the driver's side were affected (both front and rear). Yet, I do not remember spilling any water. Neither do I have kids who may have caused it.

Anyone with similar problem? Now I wonder where should I go to get this sorted.

Appreciate any advice that can help me on this.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

maybe parking whole day under hot sun with window slightly down by 2 cam on all sides will help? you got to find a car park with no trees and buildings nearby.. what i ccan think of is.. Tanah merah ferry terminal!

Roof or door seal leaking and water tickle down to the floor through the pillars. unless your base plate leak too, the water should stay below your base mat.

Sorry to scare you.

Thanks guys. Any recommended shops to remove to wash? Quite unlikely that it leaked from roof because no sign of dampness. I did check on this. Maybe in order to check is to remove it. See if there's any leak below?

Check aircon water pipe got link properly or leak.

next check if the leak is from side door or from boot area.

My car was soak twice.

1st time from boot as change bumper and open the tail lamp den never tighten it properly. solve by tightening the tail lamp.

2nd time the aircon service man forget to link back the air con pipe to let the condensed water to flow out of the car. end up flooding my passanger side. Solve it by re connecting the pipe to let the water flow out.

Neutral Newbie

There should be a leak somewhere if no one spilled any water in the car. From undercarriage, door seals, window not properly winded up, etc, go and find the root-cause as many rainy days ahead.

maybe it is the door seal crack liao n water leaks in...cant possibly be leak from below..it will defy law of gravity rite? Did u drive thru a puddle recently?

Where can I go to check this? My usual service centre is Shall auto serv. Anyone has better suggestion? Else, I guess I would go there to ask

Check aircon water pipe got link properly or leak.

next check if the leak is from side door or from boot area.

My car was soak twice.

1st time from boot as change bumper and open the tail lamp den never tighten it properly. solve by tightening the tail lamp.

2nd time the aircon service man forget to link back the air con pipe to let the condensed water to flow out of the car. end up flooding my passanger side. Solve it by re connecting the pipe to let the water flow out.

thin your suggestion is most likely as TS says only driver side carpet wet.

Before you send it to the professionals, quickly get some stacks of newspaper and place it on the wet carpet. replace the wet paper every few minutes. This will at least help to mininise mould growing on it and bad smells before you decide what you want to do next. You can do the same for your mats beside a sunny window at your home.

Gone to my servicing workshop. Confirmed that it wasn't the aircon. Was told to check with a panel beating workshop coz these guys can check if it's the seal that caused it. Will go check it out. Maybe it's the seal.