Another one, dun understand MARKET FORCES

RadX

Duh! Want gahmen give him free car ah

COE domination by high-end marque buyers an unhealthy trend

Published on Dec 7, 2011

Share 0

inShare</span></span> newspost.gifPurchase this article for republication photobank.gifBuy SPH photos LAST Saturday's report ('High-end cars winning market race') puts a different twist to acquiring a certificate of entitlement (COE) which, thus far, has been viewed as a commodity.

The fact that the premium car brands are getting the lion's share of the COEs available, to the detriment of the mass-market car brands, indicates that the financially well-off in Singapore are the winners.

By extension, most Singapore motorists who own or aspire to own a car are average income-earners and, at most, can afford only a lower-end brand.

It is highly likely that those who own the premium car brands may already have one or more cars, an advantage that an average Singaporean does not have.

The slowdown in the number of cars scrapped further suggests the possibility that the average motorist needs the car for a number of valid reasons, even though he must pay a progressively higher road tax for the privilege.

Seen in this light, the COE may turn into an issue that will add to unnecessary unease among heartlanders.

One can even imagine blogs and other social media spinning the cynical view - that the building of more expressways and Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) gantries will serve to ease congestion for the Porsches, Ferraris and Lamborghinis to zip along quicker.

In a way, the spike in the number of COEs available between 2004 and 2008 was an acknowledgement of the pent-up desire among average income-earners to own a car.

Their inability to do so may be a source of potential discontent.

It is clear that the authorities must lower the annual allowable vehicle population growth rate, wielding the COE as the tool of control.

The solution is perhaps to create clear quotas for each category, to enable bidders to see that there is some equity in the system.

In the current pool system, the taxi companies (as they have a profit-oriented objective and deeper pockets) and the financially well-off will continue to dominate in the bidding for COEs.

First, we should re-categorise COEs into commercial and non-commercial vehicles.

Next, there should be a quota for each category and sub-category by engine capacity.

Should there be unallocated COEs after the bidding, the authorities can then channel them into the other categories.

The system will then be seen to be fairer as the average income-earner can have a fighting chance to achieve his aspirations.

Johnnie Chia

Edited by RadX
↡ Advertisement

Car ownership is a happy event and lots of average income earners got hopes and dreams.

He understands market forces too well if any thing - at this rate, top earners will earn many cars - sounds not good leh.

For me, I not top earner, never will be, I just ask for nice simple car to enjoy around the heartlands where I live and I don't contribute much too jams as I do not drive to work - I also hope that COE can be more equitable.

But I understand the need for car population control of course, and nobody asking gov to give me a car but is there more equitable system?

[laugh]

Twincharged

why must grumble and complain so much ??

why can't these losers just get it thru their thick skulls ??

is it really so difficult to accept the facts ??

that if one can't afford a car, then don't buy one !!

first complain about HDB, then cars .... what next ?? boats and planes ??

Johnnie is an idiot. They should just scrap COE and all the other taxes and just go to a *really* high usage based road tax. Then you'll miraculously see cars drying up on the roads. Of course, that still means Johnnie can't drive as often as he does now, but at least he can admire the car at home. :D

and to most, a car is a WANT, not a NEED......for gods sake, there are taxis for transport....

Johnnie is an idiot. They should just scrap COE and all the other taxes and just go to a *really* high usage based road tax. Then you'll miraculously see cars drying up on the roads. Of course, that still means Johnnie can't drive as often as he does now, but at least he can admire the car at home. :D

he will get OPC lor...say I OWN A CAR CHU KNOW [laugh][laugh]

The HDB part is valid, though. Everyone deserves a roof over their heads. Problem is, people start getting a sense of entitlement about luxuries after a while. [;)]

he will get OPC lor...say I OWN A CAR CHU KNOW [laugh][laugh]

Death to the OPC scheme!!! :angry:

Off peak lowering of GPS tax rates is a much better idea. Affects everyone equally.

Edited by Turboflat4

Realistically, free market means when you have the means, you can jolly well afford anything: best accomodation, best food, best ride, etc...

This is a harsh truth, or hard truth, so we have to live with the system even if it seems unfair and favours the rich and the elites.

Having said that, I am in the opinion that commercial vehicles like taxis should be under a different category to differentiate from those private category.

If these blokes want to bid themselves to death for their revenue-generating vehicles go right ahead but leave the average Joes alone to bid for their B&B cars.

Death to the OPC scheme!!! :angry:

I oso say!!!

jialat...u and I gonna be harangued by the OPC CRUSADERS....be afraid....be very afraid [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I oso say!!!

jialat...u and I gonna be harangued by the OPC CRUSADERS....be afraid....be very afraid [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Aiyah, they want to hantam us on the road, they have to get us on the weekends, and I relak at home on the weekends. [laugh]

Twincharged

This is a harsh truth, or hard truth, so we have to live with the system even if it seems unfair and favours the rich and the elites.

i am not rich or "elite" .... but to be fair, this category of people earned their keep (even if it were their parents who earned it)

too bad if those not in this category were not born with a platinum spoon. just be content.

i am not rich or "elite" .... but to be fair, this category of people earned their keep (even if it were their parents who earned it)

too bad if those not in this category were not born with a platinum spoon. just be content.

yup..and I am gonna be so bold as to say, i dun actually need a car...but if I can afford it, so what? It is coming to that no, on car ownership.....being more a 'luxury', and it should even for B&B

Twincharged

The HDB part is valid, though. Everyone deserves a roof over their heads. Problem is, people start getting a sense of entitlement about luxuries after a while. [;)]

HDB ? first, ppl wanted a flat. now they want a bigger flat, maybe next will be two flats per name ?

as for me, with the spiraling COE prices, most probably i will have to give up my car in another 3 years when it reaches 10 ... and start taking public transport again.

Car ownership is a happy event and lots of average income earners got hopes and dreams.

He understands market forces too well if any thing - at this rate, top earners will earn many cars - sounds not good leh.

For me, I not top earner, never will be, I just ask for nice simple car to enjoy around the heartlands where I live and I don't contribute much too jams as I do not drive to work - I also hope that COE can be more equitable.

But I understand the need for car population control of course, and nobody asking gov to give me a car but is there more equitable system?

[laugh]

A system which favours the rich / elites excessively at the expense of the average men simply shows us that the rulers who use it dont seem to really care for the masses.

Aiyah, they want to hantam us on the road, they have to get us on the weekends, and I relak at home on the weekends. [laugh]

[laugh][laugh][laugh] true true...but they MAY be willing to pay $20 u noe....or risk not paying [:p]

↡ Advertisement