Think before u eat in the train

Mllcg

Twincharged

ai hiong siu, ze ai jiap siu.

want to enjoy, then must be able to accept.

if only the mrt staff will also go about nabbing ppl who flout the reserved seats thingy and "weird" behaviour on the trains, then Stomp! will have lesser postings.

Think a sweet is a bit overboard.

Cough drops, medical lozenges etc?

The spirit is to bar those who take meals and things that can seriously dirty the place and act as deterent.

This episdoe leaves a bad taste in everybody's mouth

Think a sweet is a bit overboard.

Cough drops, medical lozenges etc?

The spirit is to bar those who take meals and things that can seriously dirty the place and act as deterent.

This episdoe leaves a bad taste in everybody's mouth

Next, swallow saliva also fine?

This is really ridiculous! I really want to hear what is the Minister's stand on this issue!

"HONEST MISTAKE, LET'S MOVE ON

Neutral Newbie

This is the response that I get when i emailed them about their FAQs on food and drinks. I cannot believe they can put such ridiculous things in their email.. i gave up after 2 emails.. they take like 2 weeks to give a reply.. unlike nparks who can respond within a day when i asked them about Gardens by the Bay.

<[email protected]> Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM

To: [email protected]

Hi

I just read your FAQ. There are a few questions that I would like to ask and I hope I can get proper answers instead of being quoted the RTS regulations.

1) What is defined as MRT system? Is it just the trains or the entire station?

2) What is the rationale for not allowing the consumption of drinks including plain water?

3) If the concern is that the water will spill and wet the "MRT System", why not ban food and water from the "MRT System" if there is so much fear of water damage?

4) If the concern is really water spillage, why not fine those who spill water and dirty the "MRT System" instead of the prohibiting consumption of water?

I hope to get an response from you that really addresses the questions that I posted directly. I understand that at times it may be convenient to cite the regulations, but I believe that there is always a reason for the regulations. Also, if you are unable to provide the necessary responses, I would appreciate if you could forward this email to the correct party.

Thanks in advance.

xxxx

<[email protected]> Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Hi,

May I know when I can receive a reply on this matter? It has been a week since I sent the email.

Regards.. xxxx

SMRT Corporate Communications <[email protected]> Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM

To:[email protected]

Our Ref: MM-CT-1105-0360

Dear Mr. xxxx,

We refer to your enquiry on 19 May 2011 and we would like to apologize for the untimely response.

We would like to share that MRT system is commonly refer to both the stations and trains. Restrictions on eating and drinking are imposed, by the authorities, in consideration of the comfort and safety of all commuters travelling within the system.

We seek your kind understanding that spillage of food or water, on the system can caused the flooring to be slippery, resulting in traveling risk or discomfort for the commuters. Furthermore, any spillage on the seats may render the seats unusable by other commuters or even stain their garments. As spillage of any plain water may not be visible (especially to the elderly or visually impaired commuters), serious injuries or even death may arise if they happened to step on the spillage.

We further seek your understanding that imposing fines on passengers who spill food or drink is debatable, as commuters may argue that their actions is accidental or even deny their actions. Once there is a spillage, cleaning may be delayed due to the system in operation (especially in trains during peak period) and may also cause discomfort for commuters on the system. Implementation of such regulations will also require more manpower being deployed to successfully monitor and enforce. Ultimately, it will cascade to higher transportation costs for the commuters.

We seek your kind understanding and hope that we have addressed your concerns.

We thank you for writing to us.

Yours Sincerely,

John Quah

Customer Relations

Corporate Marketing and Communications

SMRT Corporation Ltd.

<[email protected]> Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM

To: SMRT Corporate Communications <[email protected]>

Dear John,

Thank you for your reply. I thought that it would not be coming after 2 weeks.

I just saw on razortv a couple of days ago, that a commuter was fined $30 for eating a sweet on the MRT. I am not sure how that would cause concerns of " comfort and safety of all commuters travelling within the system". I would agree that eating food, like a meal or a snack is inconsiderate, but the eating of a sweet or a lozenge to soothe an irritating throat should definitely be permitted. Drinking of plain water likewise should be permitted.

I do not see how dangerous stepping on spilled water can be, given that the train floor are all made from anti-slip material and so are the station floor. If it is that dangerous, many people would have died at the swimming pools. I think that SMRT or the authorities should give some leeway in this case to allow consumption of plain water and sweets on the train. What is the train breaks down during peak hours and commuters are packed in the train for a prolonged period? Are they not allowed to drink water as well? Please raise this issue to the relevant authorities on my behalf or let me know who I should raise it to?

Lastly, you have not answered my third question. Why not ban all food, drinks and all forms of liquids on the train? You do not need to be in the act of eating to cause spillage. A water bottle may drop and break.

Hope to receive your early response.

Thank you.

xxxx

SMRT Corporate Communications <[email protected]> Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Dear Mr. xxxx,

We refer to your email, dated 12 June 2011.

We understand your concerns; however, we seek your kind understanding that the train is a moving entity. A commuter may choke or spit out the sweet / lozenges when there is any sudden jerky or movement within the train. In these instances, by eating a sweet/lozenge in a train, the commuter may subject himself / herself to safety risk. In addition, he / she may also cause distress and inconveniences to other commuter(s), if the sweet / lozenge lands on the seat or on the other passengers.

Furthermore, we would like to seek your further understanding that it is difficult to identify plain water if it is kept in a colored bottle. Moreover, some passengers might also try to bring colorless soda water or syrup drinks onboard a train and claim to be plain water. We would like to reiterate that the implementation of such regulations will also require more manpower being deployed to successfully monitor and enforce. Ultimately, it will cascade to higher transportation costs for the commuters.

We would like to share that commuters are allowed to bring food and beverage onboard the train, if the items are properly sealed and they consume the items, after they have exited the station. Moreover, the risk of spillage of food or water from a properly sealed container or packaging is much lower that an open package. Should they require to take eat or drink for specific reasons (e.g. taking medication), the commuter can approach our station staff for assistance.

Lastly, we would like to share that the implementation of regulations on the public transport system is governed by Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Yours Sincerely,

John Quah

Customer Relations

SMRT Corporation Ltd.

Even a blardy SWEET!!!!!

Latdat also can ah, then if those people coughing wan eat a sweet must cough all the way to their destination, exit station then eat? Latdat later tio stomp again say unhygienic or by MOH say spreading gems, then whos fault?, btw the transport minister like also no updates one hor, look like he take bus, train really is wayang one [:(]

If sweet also cannot, then what is next? Plain water siboh?

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

This is the response that I get when i emailed them about their FAQs on food and drinks. I cannot believe they can put such ridiculous things in their email.. i gave up after 2 emails.. they take like 2 weeks to give a reply.. unlike nparks who can respond within a day when i asked them about Gardens by the Bay.

Hi

I just read your FAQ. There are a few questions that I would like to ask and I hope I can get proper answers instead of being quoted the RTS regulations.

2) What is the rationale for not allowing the consumption of drinks including plain water?

3) If the concern is that the water will spill and wet the "MRT System", why not ban food and water from the "MRT System" if there is so much fear of water damage?

4) If the concern is really water spillage, why not fine those who spill water and dirty the "MRT System" instead of the prohibiting consumption of water?

I hope to get an response from you that really addresses the questions that I posted directly. I understand that at times it may be convenient to cite the regulations, but I believe that there is always a reason for the regulations. Also, if you are unable to provide the necessary responses, I would appreciate if you could forward this email to the correct party.

Thanks in advance.

xxxx

Hi,

May I know when I can receive a reply on this matter? It has been a week since I sent the email.

Regards.. xxxx

Dear Mr. xxxx,

We refer to your enquiry on 19 May 2011 and we would like to apologize for the untimely response.

We would like to share that MRT system is commonly refer to both the stations and trains. Restrictions on eating and drinking are imposed, by the authorities, in consideration of the comfort and safety of all commuters travelling within the system.

We seek your kind understanding that spillage of food or water, on the system can caused the flooring to be slippery, resulting in traveling risk or discomfort for the commuters. Furthermore, any spillage on the seats may render the seats unusable by other commuters or even stain their garments. As spillage of any plain water may not be visible (especially to the elderly or visually impaired commuters), serious injuries or even death may arise if they happened to step on the spillage.

We further seek your understanding that imposing fines on passengers who spill food or drink is debatable, as commuters may argue that their actions is accidental or even deny their actions. Once there is a spillage, cleaning may be delayed due to the system in operation (especially in trains during peak period) and may also cause discomfort for commuters on the system. Implementation of such regulations will also require more manpower being deployed to successfully monitor and enforce. Ultimately, it will cascade to higher transportation costs for the commuters.

Yours Sincerely,

John Quah

Customer Relations

SMRT Corporation Ltd.

Dear John,

I just saw on razortv a couple of days ago, that a commuter was fined $30 for eating a sweet on the MRT. I am not sure how that would cause concerns of " comfort and safety of all commuters travelling within the system". I would agree that eating food, like a meal or a snack is inconsiderate, but the eating of a sweet or a lozenge to soothe an irritating throat should definitely be permitted. Drinking of plain water likewise should be permitted.

I do not see how dangerous stepping on spilled water can be, given that the train floor are all made from anti-slip material and so are the station floor. If it is that dangerous, many people would have died at the swimming pools. I think that SMRT or the authorities should give some leeway in this case to allow consumption of plain water and sweets on the train. What is the train breaks down during peak hours and commuters are packed in the train for a prolonged period? Are they not allowed to drink water as well? Please raise this issue to the relevant authorities on my behalf or let me know who I should raise it to?

Lastly, you have not answered my third question. Why not ban all food, drinks and all forms of liquids on the train? You do not need to be in the act of eating to cause spillage. A water bottle may drop and break.

Thank you.

xxxx

Dear Mr. xxxx,

We understand your concerns; however, we seek your kind understanding that the train is a moving entity. A commuter may choke or spit out the sweet / lozenges when there is any sudden jerky or movement within the train. In these instances, by eating a sweet/lozenge in a train, the commuter may subject himself / herself to safety risk. In addition, he / she may also cause distress and inconveniences to other commuter(s), if the sweet / lozenge lands on the seat or on the other passengers.

Furthermore, we would like to seek your further understanding that it is difficult to identify plain water if it is kept in a colored bottle. Moreover, some passengers might also try to bring colorless soda water or syrup drinks onboard a train and claim to be plain water. We would like to reiterate that the implementation of such regulations will also require more manpower being deployed to successfully monitor and enforce. Ultimately, it will cascade to higher transportation costs for the commuters.

We would like to share that commuters are allowed to bring food and beverage onboard the train, if the items are properly sealed and they consume the items, after they have exited the station. Moreover, the risk of spillage of food or water from a properly sealed container or packaging is much lower that an open package. Should they require to take eat or drink for specific reasons (e.g. taking medication), the commuter can approach our station staff for assistance.

Lastly, we would like to share that the implementation of regulations on the public transport system is governed by Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Yours Sincerely,

John Quah

Customer Relations

SMRT Corporation Ltd.

it looks like a template...or CopynPaste letter.... <_<

Hi

Thanks in advance.

xxxx

Hi,

Regards.. xxxx

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Yours Sincerely,

John Quah

Customer Relations

SMRT Corporation Ltd.

Dear John,

Thank you.

xxxx

Dear Mr. xxxx,

Yours Sincerely,

John Quah

Customer Relations

SMRT Corporation Ltd.

the last email is epic sia...

Ask them...

It is a very good preventive measures that SMRat took to ensure death is not caused by choking on sweets.

However, is SMRaT able to handle the situation if that the unforeseen do happen?

Will the Operator be able to perform CPR for the commuter?

this is BS to the max... a simple sip of water and sweet should be allowed if the commuter did not dirty the place by littering

i think that tis roger foo guy should treat his paying customer nicer

also smrt should move their toilet within the paying area

Edited by Dice