Chevrolet Orlando

Patricklyb

So far so good even for full load for the family since most of them are small size, havent knock anything or hit the hump with full load yet.... handling is good, even for cornering it handles well not much body roll compare to our Avanza in Msia, the Avanza feels light and floaty and sharp turns and cornering will throw passengwes ard... the car body is quite solid and sturdy so the car is quite stable believe at 130-140 will be stable too.. still running in the car so cannot comment much...

aircon in general quite cold, second row has two aircon blowers... aircon critical for me but not critical for the owner and her family, they scared cold type... go cinema machiam winter to them

hows the ground clearance or ride height of the orlando ? and how is the air con ?

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)

Looks very value for $ for a 7 seater. The 1.4T even at +50% road tax should just be like a 2L car in the 1st 10 yrs. Good for PQP. And thankfully its 6AT. Not to mention, heard that MY don't have Chevvy, so no car theft value there.

Cold aircon is important for me, 2 rear blowers is good for 3 row. If I had this car, the 3rd row would be occasionally utilized by IL(s), both <1.6m :).

2nd row would be occupied by 2 young kids w child seats with maid in-between. If IL(s) not with us then maid would take the 3rd row & all the logistics.

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 1

So far so good even for full load for the family since most of them are small size, havent knock anything or hit the hump with full load yet.... handling is good, even for cornering it handles well not much body roll compare to our Avanza in Msia, the Avanza feels light and floaty and sharp turns and cornering will throw passengwes ard... the car body is quite solid and sturdy so the car is quite stable believe at 130-140 will be stable too.. still running in the car so cannot comment much...

aircon in general quite cold, second row has two aircon blowers... aircon critical for me but not critical for the owner and her family, they scared cold type... go cinema machiam winter to them

you not the owner meh?

Hows the fuel consumption for this 1.4turbo? can get 12km/litre? the auto gear box good?

(edited)

My Relative is the owner lah, under her name mah hahahaha... I help choose they pay money hahaaha kidding. no lah my relative like the car also lah, we are actually in love with the Orlando and we look forward everyday to drive it, honestly hahaha, might buy one myself when my car reach 10 years.. i love that car... and yes i do get to drive very often usually at night and but mostly weekends, now the car just come so i go over and help them drive hehehe want to faster clock the first 1000 mileage hahahaha hopefully soon, after that then the car i will drive it mainly on weekends when we all go out together...

Gearbox is ok, pretty smooth... the car doesnt feel sluggish for a 1.4T in general for day to day commute and city driving even with full load still quite ok, havent gone on nsh yet...

The full tank cost us about $128 on Fuelsave 98 almost 60 litres when we pump on the first day when we get the car... right now im reading 11-12km/litre, after the first 1000km run in and oil change then i will update, cos for now i think its not accurate cos havent run in yet, after run in then will be a better gauge cos it might become lousier

you not the owner meh?

Hows the fuel consumption for this 1.4turbo? can get 12km/litre? the auto gear box good?

Edited by Meganut
  • Praise 2

I agree! Am a current Wish owner and it is about 7.5yo. Have been looking around and still back to Wish as there is no Stream is choose from. So, what are your options now?

sigh… where got many affordable options now. it is double whammy: got my wish last time at $70K. now this can only get coe...

then kids are growing, and fast too. if things go as plan, if i hold next car for same period of time, kids will likely be as tall as or taller than me (1.8 m). So i'm forced to look at full-sized MPVs now - si bey siong… so far the one that fits best seems to be estima, although it's quite dated...

[thumbsup] WISH maintenance is the easiest and cheapest. No problem at all till I changed and it was 8.5yrs old.

JUST for sharing. I am not AD or getting any commission. Try Grand Scenic diesel, I find value for money. full tank going for 900km and diesel only less than 1.7$ per litre after discount. talking about sturdy.. the GS is the most sturdy in this class.

Mine is relatively problem-free too, but last year (at 7.5 yr) the control valve of aircon faulty, and had to be replaced. other things are mostly wear and tear, with major inconvenience a couple of times when batt went flat, but that's cos we didn't take enough precaution...

Grand Scenic might be sturdy and can last super long, and has frills that wish can never compare to. But hor… if you're 1.7 and taller, my honest advice is don't even bother looking (i meant if the ones who might sit in 3rd row either now, or in near future).

I also cannot remember, but a few of the conti mpvs have what one bro described (i felt so aptly) as hole puncher 2nd row seats, when they are lifted up to allow entry to 3rd row. With the almost-non-existent space for 3rd row, if a person with long leg sits there, when the 2nd row seat is put back in place, the only safe way is to swat on 3rd row to avoid the legs being slammed on by the hole puncher 2nd row seat lor…

Sorry, being sarcastic here, but I seriously was shocked beyond words when i saw how such design can be approved, and worse, prevalent in conti MPVs… i wonder whether anyone (or how many) got crippled by it.

Looks very value for $ for a 7 seater. The 1.4T even at +50% road tax should just be like a 2L car in the 1st 10 yrs. Good for PQP. And thankfully its 6AT. Not to mention, heard that MY don't have Chevvy, so no car theft value there.

Cold aircon is important for me, 2 rear blowers is good for 3 row. If I had this car, the 3rd row would be occasionally utilized by IL(s), both <1.6m :).

2nd row would be occupied by 2 young kids w child seats with maid in-between. If IL(s) not with us then maid would take the 3rd row & all the logistics.

hi, don't want to sound negative, but just thought of cautioning on having ILs or parents in 3rd row. If they are in their 40s or 50s, ok not too bad. But my advice is if they are any older, you might want to reconsider asking them to go into and come out of 3rd row (This is not even talking about the actual sitting there, which is like sitting on the floor, cos the seat is i think barely 5-10 cm above floorboard). If their bodies are not very agile/flexible, it would be challenging and demanding - to say the least - for them.

sigh… where got many affordable options now. it is double whammy: got my wish last time at $70K. now this can only get coe...

then kids are growing, and fast too. if things go as plan, if i hold next car for same period of time, kids will likely be as tall as or taller than me (1.8 m). So i'm forced to look at full-sized MPVs now - si bey siong… so far the one that fits best seems to be estima, although it's quite dated...

looks like we are in exactly the same situation. got my wish at $70k as well. now wish is going at about $134k. sigh...both my 2 kids are growing and i stay with my parents. if 2 kids only, even if they are bigger, wish is still OK. However, when i go out with my parents, a 5 seater will be a problem.

Upgrading to a full size MPV is too big a commitment for me. The delta is about $30-40k more. Not worth. I suspect in a few years time, when both my kids reach their teenage years, they will not be going out with us that often as well.

So, you continue to 'tahan'?

Supersonic

hi, don't want to sound negative, but just thought of cautioning on having ILs or parents in 3rd row. If they are in their 40s or 50s, ok not too bad. But my advice is if they are any older, you might want to reconsider asking them to go into and come out of 3rd row (This is not even talking about the actual sitting there, which is like sitting on the floor, cos the seat is i think barely 5-10 cm above floorboard). If their bodies are not very agile/flexible, it would be challenging and demanding - to say the least - for them.

No prob, I appreciate that. Better to learn here than otherwise.

But yea, my IL(s) are mid to late 60s now.

• Praise 1

looks like we are in exactly the same situation. got my wish at $70k as well. now wish is going at about $134k. sigh...both my 2 kids are growing and i stay with my parents. if 2 kids only, even if they are bigger, wish is still OK. However, when i go out with my parents, a 5 seater will be a problem.

Upgrading to a full size MPV is too big a commitment for me. The delta is about $30-40k more. Not worth. I suspect in a few years time, when both my kids reach their teenage years, they will not be going out with us that often as well.

So, you continue to 'tahan'?

wah, you stay with parents too - then we are really quite alike...

and for me occasionally i might have to take other relative(s), including a grandma on wheelchair, plus her maid… might have to bite bullet to get a big one.

For wish, can't complain much as it's already the most spacious of its class, but there's almost no boot space at all, with 3rd row in use. So another reason why likely will have to get a full-sized one...

Also, kids are in P3 and P5, so i reckon will be another 4-5 yr before they 'siam' us, hence might not be able to tahan leh..

Glad you're not upset by my views… then i say more [:)]

If they are in late 60s, then i seriously discourage. I mentioned in an earlier post (not sure this thread or another MPV's) that I sprained my back muscle coming out of can't remember Zafira or Grand Scenic, but they (conti MPVs) are all about same size, so quite similar… at that age, might not be able to be subject to the type of bending, twisting of the body to go in/out, not to mention squeeze in 3rd row like sitting on the floor.

And the hole puncher seats. I don't want to imagine if one of them accidentally leg not fully in safe position and the seat comes down… Anyway, I for sure won't take this risk...

• Praise 1

Glad you're not upset by my views… then i say more [:)]

If they are in late 60s, then i seriously discourage. I mentioned in an earlier post (not sure this thread or another MPV's) that I sprained my back muscle coming out of can't remember Zafira or Grand Scenic, but they (conti MPVs) are all about same size, so quite similar… at that age, might not be able to be subject to the type of bending, twisting of the body to go in/out, not to mention squeeze in 3rd row like sitting on the floor.

And the hole puncher seats. I don't want to imagine if one of them accidentally leg not fully in safe position and the seat comes down… Anyway, I for sure won't take this risk...

when i go out with my parents/other adults, it is the children that move to the 3rd row. they are smaller in size and more flexible.

as for accessing the 3rd row, already for wish, it take a little bit of effort of an adult (eg. like myself @1.75m) to get in/out. for the orlando/zafira and others, the effort is MUCH more.

for me, the 3rd row is definitely for the kids only.

Bring the whole family down to test drive as well and see the car like what we did... the kiddos didnt need to be taught, they automatically knows which knobs to pull to fold the chair and climb to the back and even 'reinstate' the folded chair to original place... i too went to the back about 10 times to test and feel for myself as well as for one of the test drive, ok for me but if any taller or bigger than me will be a problem getting in and out to be honest... you have to tell the kiddos that they take the back when gramps are in the car (unless your kids are very young toddlers then cannot but if slightly older like my cousins kids one 4 and one 6 loves sitting right behind cos they feel like they are in the boot and they giggle all the time when they sit 3rd row dunno why also), same for us too and the kids are very happy cos one is a small size teenager about 1.62m and one primary 6 at 1.55m both are emo kids and they are very happy to sit behind 'far' away from us haha

do go around and start to hunt already so that you know what you want and what is good...

If you have budget do go see the ford S max, Renault Grand Scenic and Citeron Grand Picasso (i think thats what its called) and Peugeot 5008... And to be very honest, if you can get past the brand - Proton Exora 3rd row is very good size and climbing in and out slightly easier than compact mpvs and it is a very spacious 7 seater with good headroom and quite a good design...

The Renault and Ford i quite like them also quite spacious

• Praise 1

I am driving Orlando too.

Can agree with the pros and cons raised. Every one assesses with different sets of factors and weightage.

I am generally very pleased with this ride, given what I paid and what I am getting.

Only 2 things to share

1. For THIS car, I wished they had motorised folding side mirrors. It's not a big deal but would really be useful given the car's rather on the wide side wrt most car park

2.For those considering for a 3 gen family car, might want to assess the budget and look for one with sliding doors instead of the Orlando (or other such MPVs). That's something I'll would want but the price points were too out of range for me

(edited)

I am driving Orlando too.

Can agree with the pros and cons raised. Every one assesses with different sets of factors and weightage.

I am generally very pleased with this ride, given what I paid and what I am getting.

Only 2 things to share

1. For THIS car, I wished they had motorised folding side mirrors. It's not a big deal but would really be useful given the car's rather on the wide side wrt most car park

2.For those considering for a 3 gen family car, might want to assess the budget and look for one with sliding doors instead of the Orlando (or other such MPVs). That's something I'll would want but the price points were too out of range for me

Don't bluff ppl lah. You driving but you do not own and did not take notice, right? Let me show you lah. Lim peh GPGT.

Ok, this pic is taken from the sgcarmart, it's the 2011 model 1.8L LT trim. Now the new 2014 model although are LS or lower trim there's still the folding mirror function. Just have to tap down the side mirror adjusting knob and they will fold.

post-18163-0-55136100-1405130730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

Don't bluff ppl lah. You driving but you do not own and did not take notice, right? Let me show you lah. Lim peh GPGT.

Ok, this pic is taken from the sgcarmart, it's the 2011 model 1.8L LT trim. Now the new 2014 model although are LS or lower trim there's still the folding mirror function. Just have to tap down the side mirror adjusting knob and they will fold.

attachicon.gif11059_g44_b.jpg

Don't shoot you mouth off just to reveal how lacking you are on the subject matter...lim peh educate you lah. GPGT

20140712_183456_zps31bde0f3.jpg

There's the 'basic' or normal 1.8 and there's the up-spec version that was offered at $10K more.

For the up-spec version, there's a sun roof, a different arm rest between driver and front passenger, audio controls on the steering wheel and ... the motorised folding side mirrors

the test drive was using the up-spec model and I had thought that when the car salesman said the normal version does not have "auto mirror", I thought it meant the auto-folding upon engine off. I wasn't expecting that it was totally 'unmotorised' (even my 2006 1st gen altis had a button to get the side mirrors folded)

I don't value those other features at 10K so went with the basic version ... it had all that was practical (GPS, reverse camera, bluetooth connection to mobile phone (handsfree)...)

I see where you got your pic but it does not represent the model that was available in Singapore. The below pic of a used Orlando on SG car mart is the correct look of how the up-spec dash looks like... and that's the 2013 version

414906_3b_zps92c5f0fd.jpg

Edited by Scoots

(edited)

Mine have the foldable mirrors cos its the newer one, 1.4T... in the past they only have the 1.8 version but now they bring this in because of road tax and insurance cos 1.8 is actually more expensive but i believe might be more powerful or on par...

Bro, does yours have the onboard gps?

edit: ops just saw your post... ok yours have the gps, i think thats quite good enough as the normal version, i can do without the rest of the stuff.... no wonder the sales person told me the current orlando comes with everything.. 'sports' rims, leather seats, audio n cruise control on steering, retractable mirrors, gps and reverse cam without needing to top up... so its true...

thanks for sharing bro, i enjoy the orlando cos it fits our needs and it suits our family... the 3rd row is hardly in use anyway cos gramps don't always go out only when we collected the car that everyone was excited hahaha... for the price we pay we feel its good value esp it suits us since we were looking for a 5+2, a 5 seater with the flexibility of sitting 7 and we have a large boot as a 5 seater... thanks for sharing

Edited by Meganut
↡ Advertisement