New Subaru XV

Rezorn86

Yeah, I am so grateful that no one is hurt in this incident [:)]

After the boom sound, my car couldn't be propelled at all. With my direct instinct, I quickly pulled the car to the far left lane (emergency lane) while car was still "rolling".

Imagine there was no street light at all in that area. For the sec, my mind went empty and felt helpless....

Luckily, there was one highway patrol car stopped behind my car within 5 min. (One thing good about Malaysia highways is, emergency assistance is provided). Although they didn't manage repair my car, I still feel glad that they were around when I needed help.

Within 10min, a towing truck arrived and offered to tow my car back to JB (not Sg). Without much consideration and bargain, I agreed to this offer and back to JB. Then called up Subaru to arrange towing truck from JB to Sg.

Lesson learned:

• always keep the important contacts for emergency used, as such 24hrs towing service, reliable mechanic in JB...
  • Subaru XV can only be towed as shown in photo

Yes, I have never encountered such an incident during my last 19 yrs of driving experience.

It is definitely strange and clueless.

I am not sure whether my car is showroom car or not. Nevertheless my car was still under warranty during the last service.

post-141389-0-20687800-1391438455_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I am very puzzled. How come MIJ Subaru (now owned by Toyota) can be so "unreliable" contrary to what some people here always campaigning that they rather be in MIJ cars than contis when driving in MY highway 'cos you never know when sh1ts will happen.

Not trying to brand bash here, but reckon it's always and element of...........

Glad that you are safe and more important is you are safe. Car can always nursed back or get a new one.

Guess it's the CVT transmission belting giving way completely?

Yeah, I am so grateful that no one is hurt in this incident [:)]

After the boom sound, my car couldn't be propelled at all. With my direct instinct, I quickly pulled the car to the far left lane (emergency lane) while car was still "rolling".

Imagine there was no street light at all in that area. For the sec, my mind went empty and felt helpless....

Luckily, there was one highway patrol car stopped behind my car within 5 min. (One thing good about Malaysia highways is, emergency assistance is provided). Although they didn't manage repair my car, I still feel glad that they were around when I needed help.

Within 10min, a towing truck arrived and offered to tow my car back to JB (not Sg). Without much consideration and bargain, I agreed to this offer and back to JB. Then called up Subaru to arrange towing truck from JB to Sg.

Lesson learned:

• always keep the important contacts for emergency used, as such 24hrs towing service, reliable mechanic in JB...

Yes, I have never encountered such an incident during my last 19 yrs of driving experience.

It is definitely strange and clueless.

I am not sure whether my car is showroom car or not. Nevertheless my car was still under warranty during the last service.

I am not sure whether it is CVT transmission belting problem or not coz the strange thing after the car stopped and rested for more than 1 hour, car could be driven and moved again, but after driving 2min later, the car stopped and couldn't move again.

FYI, the last call from Subaru Service center today was that they couldn't find out the major issue is and need few more days for gearbox checking....

Edited by subaruxvncw

Supercharged

...suddenly there was a huge and sharp boom sound came from the front car. And my steering went uncontrolled and the car couldn't propel, and the break went unstable... and car engine seemed normal physically.

Seriously bro, I'm quite puzzled too.

Supercharged

Not bad....at 3am, the Toll Plus patrol car is till operating actively!

Its good that they tow your car back to JB, cos I tot they (the Highway tow truck) would only tow you to the nearest toll plaza, or town, and leave you there.

Yup, cos yours is a AWD vehicle, and all 4 wheels must be lifted up when towed.

• Praise 1

That is a scary thought when the car breaks down in foreign land at early morning. It is comforting to know that our neighbour's highway assistance is seriously efficient. Please do let us know what is the issue of your XV. I felt that it's the CVT personally. Subaru is well-known for their tough character for many years.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

In order to command a leader in the market, Toyota might want Subaru to die.

I am very puzzled. How come MIJ Subaru (now owned by Toyota) can be so "unreliable" contrary to what some people here always campaigning that they rather be in MIJ cars than contis when driving in MY highway 'cos you never know when sh1ts will happen.

Not trying to brand bash here, but reckon it's always and element of...........

Glad that you are safe and more important is you are safe. Car can always nursed back or get a new one.

Guess it's the CVT transmission belting giving way completely?

• Praise 1

In order to command a leader in the market, Toyota might want Subaru to die.

Doubt so lah unless they like burning away $$$$$

Hope they don't take over Mazda too 'cos designs will be screwed by them. Look at the Subs now, damn ugly....... and characterless. The old Subs ugly but with character.

Doubt so lah unless they like burning away $$$$$

Hope they don't take over Mazda too 'cos designs will be screwed by them. Look at the Subs now, damn ugly....... and characterless. The old Subs ugly but with character.

I agree with you bro.

• Praise 1

Nice to hear that you and others are fine - that;s the very 1st important.

Do update us again on the finding when the car is out - I am waiting for 1,6 coe (4 mths already)

• Praise 1

The new Subbies engines are using a newer type known as Linertronic (or something like that) right?

if not mistaken, its almost different as the past technology. no?

Subaru boxer Horizontally-opposed engine is totally different from tranditional in line cylinders, lower gravity centre, less vibration,

Linertronic is Subaru CVT technology

• Praise 1

Sounds like Jap version of "DSG". [:(]

seems that Japs insistence of using CVT on bnb models up to sub 2 litre could be pushing some J supporters to the Koreans.

Meanwhile, Koreans appear to maintain a clean cut away from CVT. Maybe coz they want to differentiate themselves from the Japs this way & also don't want the risk of making any boo boos with CVTs.

As Subs are boxers, guess they cant leverage on the 7 speed CVT that Altis/Auris/Estima uses (due to incompatibility of designs ?)

• Praise 1

The new Subbies engines are using a newer type known as Linertronic (or something like that) right?

if not mistaken, its almost different as the past technology. no?

CVT is always a CVT,soulless to drive...only can 'feels' the car got 2-3 gears...

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 2

Updates:

I called up the customer service today morning again for the possible arrangement like providing me a car during these few days since it's their negligence and incapability to do a good job in the car checking/servicing. Why I got this feeling because there was a past incident happened prior to this --> After checking my invoices/doc, my car was sent for service on 17 Jan 2013, then 4 days later I have to send my car back to the service center again due to some problems beow:

1) Hill Assist Indicator light 2) Abs Indicator 3) Vehicle Dynamic Control Indicator were on, and the brake system turned unstable. As a result, the customer service officer told me that there was a plug spoiled. Why all these new malfunctions always happened just after the service [confused]

I called up the manager in today's afternoon to express my frustrations and dissatisfaction. The Manager said my case is the 1st ever case happend in SG. Thus I suggested to them to bring up this matter to the Japan side as I quoted them a similar example happened in Australia. And an hour later, I received a call back from the customer service officer with the following replies:

• The Australia subaru case is different as the driver's seat is at the left. Sg one is at the right and thus he said can't be compared. (Honestly, I am very doubtful on that as the technology is the same to me, any bros here can shed some lights on this)
  • Subaru is willing to provide a courtesy car while my car is under repair.
  • Subaru is NOT willing to compensate on the towing fee from JB to Sg (S$428) albeit I was told by the customer service that it is their panel towing company. The customer service officer also said the towing fee can be billed to Subaru. However, it turned out that the towing company was reluctant to tow my car to SG if I do not pay them first. He also said I can always settle with Subaru later. Given my situation I have no choice but to follow what the towing company said and trust that it can be billed to Subaru subsequently. Nonetheless, in the end, Subaru Sg doesn't recognise this.
  • Subaru might not want to compensate on the repair fee as he said that my car's warranty was just over for a month [:|] (Given my case, I feel that it is the SG Subaru's negligence to service my car or manufacturing fault especially after reading some posts and example by some bros here)
I also told them that incident happened (engine stalled) when the car was at 110km/hr and told them to do thorough check on my car after repair, esp at the speed of 110km/hr). To my surprise,the customer service officer told me that they have no opportunity and capability to test the car at the speed of 110 km/hr in Sg. Frankly, I am very unsatisfied with this reason.
Till today, no progress and answer from Subaru SG on what goes wrong with my car!
I am clueless and worried even my car is repaired finally, since they do not have the capability to test my car at 110 km/h, it will be very dangerous to me and the passengers. After all, I almost got killed/injured due to this engine stalled issue.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1