New Subaru XV

Rezorn86

(edited)

hmm? what update? only showing 2017 Q1 version of map as free update...

I got the 2018 q3 maps installed using the toolbox.. and also OS update... What risingtek Subaru MY17 blah blah . .. it also mentioned it's mandatory update before the new contents can be updated Edited by Roadhogger
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Hey guys, seriously considering making a booking on the XV. In terms of negotiating extras to go with the car, it's my understanding is that they won't be able to extend the warranty or servicing period, but are willing to throw in stuff like Solar Film, 2-Channel Camera, Front & Reverse Sensors.

Any advice on what should I be asking for during my negotiation? Much appreciated for your inputs.

I have tested the car yesterday I am considering it. The power is not as good and the finishing is not great. I am using the S60 T4 now. But the car is with me for 8 years and has no trade in value. Is the servicing at Subaru expensive? I asked the agent if they can soundproof the car I think it is noisy. I had an Alfa Romeo in the past but I cannot recall was the car loud. Edited by Princey_anne
  • Praise 1

I have tested the car yesterday I am considering it. The power is not as good and the finishing is not great. I am using the S60 T4 now. But the car is with me for 8 years and has no trade in value. Is the servicing at Subaru expensive? I asked the agent if they can soundproof the car I think it is noisy. I had an Alfa Romeo in the past but I cannot recall was the car loud.

Hi, welcome to even consider a Subaru after driving high-end Continental marques.

Let's be pragmatic here, since you're driving a Volvo and now considering the XV, it is understandably a 'downgrade' of sorts.  So my take is that you go with your eyes opened and manage your expectations.  In-car features, road presence and marque prestige are something you'd have to forgo - for Japanese reliability, comparatively cheaper maintenance and the assurance of an all-wheel drive.

Servicing for Subarus is comparatively more expensive than, say, a 4-pot Nissan or a Toyota, due to the fact that it carries more parts and components in their Boxer engine and AWD system.  But that said, I for one is a happy owner of an XV.  Yes, I may pay a little more, but I feel safe with its handling and overall composure compared to my previous cars. 

Happy hunting!

• Praise 2

I have tested the car yesterday I am considering it. The power is not as good and the finishing is not great. I am using the S60 T4 now. But the car is with me for 8 years and has no trade in value. Is the servicing at Subaru expensive? I asked the agent if they can soundproof the car I think it is noisy. I had an Alfa Romeo in the past but I cannot recall was the car loud.

I guessed the servicing/repair for Subaru shld be cheaper than Volvo, if were to compare agent service. You can request for maintenance pkg price list for reference.

Power is lesser than T4 since non turbo but is adequate for daily driving. Trick here is to master CVT.

For sound proof, its individual. Hope your SA can address to your concern.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Hi, welcome to even consider a Subaru after driving high-end Continental marques.

Let's be pragmatic here, since you're driving a Volvo and now considering the XV, it is understandably a 'downgrade' of sorts. So my take is that you go with your eyes opened and manage your expectations. In-car features, road presence and marque prestige are something you'd have to forgo - for Japanese reliability, comparatively cheaper maintenance and the assurance of an all-wheel drive.

Servicing for Subarus is comparatively more expensive than, say, a 4-pot Nissan or a Toyota, due to the fact that it carries more parts and components in their Boxer engine and AWD system. But that said, I for one is a happy owner of an XV. Yes, I may pay a little more, but I feel safe with its handling and overall composure compared to my previous cars.

Happy hunting!

I also tested the new Lexus, it is between the Subaru and Lexus. I am not in a hurry to buy the ride. I love the Volvo, however the new XC40 didn’t have the lovely leather seats like my current ride.

I like the Volvo because of the city safety driving but nowadays other cars also have similar features. I just go on looking since my Volvo is still running well.

Edited by Princey_anne
  • Praise 1

I also tested the new Lexus, it is between the Subaru and Lexus. I am not in a hurry to buy the ride. I love the Volvo, however the new XC40 didn’t have the lovely leather seats like my current ride.

I like the Volvo because of the city safety driving but nowadays other cars also have similar features. I just go on looking since my Volvo is still running well.

Hmm... your selection is indeed quite unique!  But I guess that's to each his/her own.  Now that COE has fallen, I think you can consider if you need to change your ride. 

But what's intriguing is what makes Subaru as one of your contenders?

• Praise 2

Hmm... your selection is indeed quite unique! But I guess that's to each his/her own. Now that COE has fallen, I think you can consider if you need to change your ride.

But what's intriguing is what makes Subaru as one of your contenders?

I like the new Subaru technology, I also miss the boxer engine. I used to drive the Alfa Romeo many donkey years ago.

I like the new Subaru technology, I also miss the boxer engine. I used to drive the Alfa Romeo many donkey years ago.

you should consider the new Forester, it has much more safety technology and creature comfort for 10-20k more. plus more spacious of cos but similar in length to your S60.

too bad still no hybrid for Singapore, probably another 10years time based on how long it took for MI to even bring in Eyesight technology which is already more than 10years old (current is version3)

electric adjustable seat

rear aircon vent

front wide angle camera (safety check in narrow parking slots, or offroad if u do so)

side mirror camera (kerb check)

mirror auto-tilt down during reverse

reverse auto braking

blind spot monitoring

lane stay function

auto-hold brakes (i think, XV one need manual activate)

sunroof

not sure if have the JDM option of electric rear-view mirror (change to rear camera view when there's passenger behind blocking view)

• Praise 2

I am waiting for the new Outback that was previewed in US recently. This new Outback has a complete change internally, just like a Volvo with a big 11” portrait screen.

Anyone has any idea when it will arrive in Singapore? The US launch is Fall, so my best guess is year end or early next year for Sin.

• Praise 2

I am waiting for the new Outback that was previewed in US recently. This new Outback has a complete change internally, just like a Volvo with a big 11â portrait screen.

Anyone has any idea when it will arrive in Singapore? The US launch is Fall, so my best guess is year end or early next year for Sin.

I should just wait a while too
  • Praise 1

I am waiting for the new Outback that was previewed in US recently. This new Outback has a complete change internally, just like a Volvo with a big 11” portrait screen.

i would say wait long long. usually 6mths at least due to LTA tests.

good thing abt Outback is the turbo engine is back.... hope it goes to next gen Forester...

you should consider the new Forester, it has much more safety technology and creature comfort for 10-20k more. plus more spacious of cos but similar in length to your S60.

too bad still no hybrid for Singapore, probably another 10years time based on how long it took for MI to even bring in Eyesight technology which is already more than 10years old (current is version3)

electric adjustable seat

rear aircon vent

front wide angle camera (safety check in narrow parking slots, or offroad if u do so)

reverse auto braking

blind spot monitoring

lane stay function

sunroof

not sure if have the JDM option of electric rear-view mirror (change to rear camera view when there's passenger behind blocking view)

and also 1 other thing, auto tail gate...

many of these safety feature u pay 10-20k premium in the conti brands to get as option, wherelse in Subaru, these are standard.

cos' human safety shouldn't be an option...

• Praise 1

Expected to be around 3rd quarter 2020, don't ask how I know  :XD:  :XD:  :XD:

electric adjustable seat

rear aircon vent

reverse auto braking

blind spot monitoring

lane stay function

sunroof

auto-hold brake is standard for MY19 XV's. I'm pretty sure a higher spec XV with electric driver's seat, reverse auto braking, blindspot, sunroof etc (similar to what impreza has now) will come soon, to remain competitive as MI only has CAT B cars so they need to up spec to entice buyers

• Praise 5

"to remain competitive as MI only has CAT B cars so they need to up spec to entice buyers"

Bingo.  Spot on.  Exactly my point to my SA, given the general passenger cars today are getting smaller but turbocharged engines.  I believe MI is aware of this situation but I hope they are actively doing something about it.

• Praise 2

(edited)

I'm waiting for Subaru to come up with a 2.0 Turbo XV car with their signature bonnet scoop. I believe it will sell very well. 

Edited by black_hol
  • Praise 2

Expected to be around 3rd quarter 2020, don't ask how I know  :XD:  :XD:  :XD:

auto-hold brake is standard for MY19 XV's. I'm pretty sure a higher spec XV with electric driver's seat, reverse auto braking, blindspot, sunroof etc (similar to what impreza has now) will come soon, to remain competitive as MI only has CAT B cars so they need to up spec to entice buyers

auto-hold brake as in you step hard on brake and it hold itself like the Hyundai Tuscon one? 

else if need the button, then no that's not up to standard. there's no facelift yet so i won't expect MI to change unless it's in the GT version.

unless the GT version gets lots of different tech (M'sia report seems to at least show have the side mirror kerb camera), else i beg to differ, not MI style of doing things of adding things along the way.

just look at difference between Impreza and XV, Impreza has full suite of JDM features (sunroof, blind spot monitor, rear brake assist) and more (have the high-beam assist function with auto-dim rearview mirror), XV got nothing.

and Impreza only 1k more expensive then when i got my XV in Jan18.

i told SE, customer got $ to burn, why MI cannot bring in these as options during LTA homogenization then leave it to customer choice? what is $1k difference for all these items when car is ~$100k?

I'm waiting for Subaru to come up with a 2.0 Turbo XV car with their signature bonnet scoop. I believe it will sell very well. 

wait until cow come home and die already also won't have. hybrid is the solution they have for this car.

even Forester don't have turbo. best bet is next generation 5-6years down the road since Outback has 2.4L turbo.

but at that time the hybrid option may have evolved into something more powerful or with longer range, then would we still want to burn $ for turbo power or have hybrid instant torque more usable in sillypore?

and the korean and jap competition then may finally have caught up somewhat with active safety technology offerings (from the authorized dealers of cos, since Vezel already have Honda Sensing (shame on you Kah Motor)). then decision won't be so straight forward...

• Praise 1

wait until cow come home and die already also won't have. hybrid is the solution they have for this car.

even Forester don't have turbo. best bet is next generation 5-6years down the road since Outback has 2.4L turbo.

but at that time the hybrid option may have evolved into something more powerful or with longer range, then would we still want to burn $ for turbo power or have hybrid instant torque more usable in sillypore?

and the korean and jap competition then may finally have caught up somewhat with active safety technology offerings (from the authorized dealers of cos, since Vezel already have Honda Sensing (shame on you Kah Motor)). then decision won't be so straight forward...

You don’t see korean cars equipped with active safety doesn’t mean they don’t have it. Literally all cars including Perodua is offering
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2