New Subaru XV

Rezorn86

Would like to ask XV car owners, currently driving an Elantra and looking to change new car. I have shortlisted a few cars, and would some comparisons and comments:

- Subaru XV (High Spec)

- Honda Civic

- Suzuki Vitara

How is the repair and maintenance costs of XV as compared to others?

Any other costs to compare?

How is the drive between these 3?

Why not go test drive all the car you list
↡ Advertisement

Hi jg2000,

Indeed such new tech preferred and still up to drivers.

Difference there is that eyesight is somehow not suitable with solar film according to Subaru Japan and more importantly, MI is not willing to or cannot resolve it but expects owners to take the risk with insurers.

Would advise owners to declare to their insurance companies if proceeding to install solar film on subaru cars with eyesight else risk not able to claim accident repair due to undeclared modification.

However, pls do so next renewal and drive more carefully else any refusal to approve means that you will to scrumble for another insurer.

Meanwhile I look forward to my mazda6 within such concern and AD's solar film throughout car.

Cheers.

Richard

Hi bros,

What now ?

Eyesight and other "new system" is joke .. no solar film and now this one but not sure if hoax. However, also not surprised since solar film I can confirm MI dun install it and hence din book impreza.

Cheers.

Richard

post-149594-0-16452700-1563657721_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Hi bros,

What now ?

Eyesight and other "new system" is joke .. no solar film and now this one but not sure if hoax. However, also not surprised since solar film I can confirm MI dun install it and hence din book impreza.

Cheers.

Richard

USA bah. the country of lawyers meant to just sue and sue...

XV is to me now the most Value For Money car in the segment. the full suite of safety features easily cost $20k as options in conti cars yet below $100k u get them in the XV. what more to ask for?

just waiting for next gen Forester and XV, cos we can already expect the new design of US Outback to spill over to these 2 cars.

center screen looks great... and turbo engine  [drivingcar]

(edited)

USA bah. the country of lawyers meant to just sue and sue...

XV is to me now the most Value For Money car in the segment. the full suite of safety features easily cost $20k as options in conti cars yet below $100k u get them in the XV. what more to ask for?

just waiting for next gen Forester and XV, cos we can already expect the new design of US Outback to spill over to these 2 cars.

center screen looks great... and turbo engine [drivingcar]

Hi Sarion,

Only those unfortunately on the wrong side of insurance companies will know and hope bros dun have to experience like I did by taking on responsibilities of having solar film installed in front screen when MI with a team of lawyers does not do it for buyers .. insurance companies' interest is not on protecting consumers but on P&L.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Supercharged

That will be very ugly leh.

I don’t see why window film cannot be installed by having a cut out around the eyesight cameras.

• Praise 1

There's no need to.  ES works perfectly well with the solar film. 

What follows not addressing you...  this solar film topic is an old discussion that's been floating around for more than one year and I wonder for how long more people are going to beat around it.

I don’t see why window film cannot be installed by having a cut out around the eyesight cameras.

• Praise 2

(edited)

There's no need to. ES works perfectly well with the solar film.

What follows not addressing you... this solar film topic is an old discussion that's been floating around for more than one year and I wonder for how long more people are going to beat around it.

Hi Reo,

A reminder to:

- potential buyers that MI does not install front solar film on front windscreen due to eyesight and not be surprised to find out later why car can unbearably hot due to missed solar film on front windscreen

- owners not to risk putting solar film in front screen if they so decide to buy subarus with eyesight due to concern on insurance claim even if accident is not related

Guess nothing to remind further once MI takes over the responsibilities of putting solar film on front windscreen else will continue periodically and hopefully before any bros find out insurance companies void their total loss claim cos of undeclared modifications.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Richard, I remember very clearly we had the discussion on solar film more than a year ago, any one interested on the topic please search for yourself.

You were the one who was very keen on buying a subie with Eyesight, but got very furious because MI refused to install solar film on the windscreen for you.  You mentioned you then went on to buy a Mazda.  You then lingered around and cajoled and scare-mongered every one not to buy a car with Eyesight because of... and insurance...., and hinting them to get a Mazda instead.

While I don't represent MI or Subie in any form or manner but just to help out forumers here, like I myself gained from other's similar experience, there's nothing wrong with MI not putting their neck on the chopping board.  Every one who took their risk (calculated one) if there's indeed a risk, posted back and said the solar film works well with Eyesight. 

You've made your decision, went on to a dealer and bought a car you could feel better.  Good for you, move on.  While every one can post, I find it incredible it's more than a year since you started it and you're still doing it.  Respectfully, your good intention has become a broken record.  Great perseverance which can be put to better use.

PS.  Not to be a nuisance myself, I'll refrain from posting any more on the debate.

Hi Reo,

A reminder to:

- potential buyers that MI does not install front solar film on front windscreen due to eyesight and not be surprised to find out later why car can unbearably hot due to missed solar film on front windscreen

- owners not to risk putting solar film in front screen if they so decide to buy subarus with eyesight due to concern on insurance claim even if accident is not related

Guess nothing to remind further once MI takes over the responsibilities of putting solar film on front windscreen else will continue periodically and hopefully before any bros find out insurance companies void their total loss claim cos of undeclared modifications.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by Reo
  • Praise 3

Richard, I remember very clearly we had the discussion on solar film more than a year ago, any one interested on the topic please search for yourself.

You were the one who was very keen on buying a subie with Eyesight, but got very furious because MI refused to install solar film on the windscreen for you. You mentioned you then went on to buy a Mazda. You then lingered around and cajoled and scare-mongered every one not to buy a car with Eyesight because of... and insurance...., and hinting them to get a Mazda instead.

While I don't represent MI or Subie in any form or manner but just to help out forumers here, like I myself gained from other's similar experience, there's nothing wrong with MI not putting their neck on the chopping board. Every one who took their risk (calculated one) if there's indeed a risk, posted back and said the solar film works well with Eyesight.

You've made your decision, went on to a dealer and bought a car you could feel better. Good for you, move on. While every one can post, I find it incredible it's more than a year since you started it and you're still doing it. Respectfully, your good intention has become a broken record. Great perseverance which can be put to better use.

PS. Not to be a nuisance myself, I'll refrain from posting any more on the debate.

Hi Reo,

Not furious but indeed upset back then after test drove the impreza with eyesight on 4 occasions .. as you rightfully mentioned it was a long time ago.

Certainly not hinting towards potential new car buyers towards mazda, I drives and loves my sti ts modded forester xt from MI.

You may be aware on this concern but hope new bros in mycarforum are similarly aware but yes, I would not risk no claim and do feel that MI should bear it for their new car buyers since I did had such bad experience with insurance company that I sincerely hope no bro will have to endure.

Frankly, I do not understand why you are seemingly upset and indeed it had been a long time. I only reminded here in mycarforum as I just came across this memo from Subaru usa on eyesight etc. ... is it because you took the risk and no wish to be reminded but yet cannot dispute such a risk ? If indeed the case and no wish to reverse this decision, I do recommend that you declare in your next insurance renewal on this aftermarket solar film on front windscreen and fingercrossed that it somehow get approved. Do keep us informed on the details to benefit others if indeed the case .. another reason for me to not to remind like a broken record :(

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Reo,

Not furious but indeed upset back then after test drove the impreza with eyesight on 4 occasions .. as you rightfully mentioned it was a long time ago.

Certainly not hinting towards potential new car buyers towards mazda, I drives and loves my sti ts modded forester xt from MI.

You may be aware on this concern but hope new bros in mycarforum are similarly aware but yes, I would not risk no claim and do feel that MI should bear it for their new car buyers since I did had such bad experience with insurance company that I sincerely hope no bro will have to endure.

Frankly, I do not understand why you are seemingly upset and indeed it had been a long time. I only reminded here in mycarforum as I just came across this memo from Subaru usa on eyesight etc. ... is it because you took the risk and no wish to be reminded but yet cannot dispute such a risk ? If indeed the case and no wish to reverse this decision, I do recommend that you declare in your next insurance renewal on this aftermarket solar film on front windscreen and fingercrossed that it somehow get approved. Do keep us informed on the details to benefit others if indeed the case .. another reason for me to not to remind like a broken record :(

Cheers.

Richard

Richard. Thanks.

Can see your posts all over in XV/Imp/new forester threads with regards to front solar film for ES.

We understood your good intention on the declaration with insurance if one were to install front solar film at own risk. But generally I think one reminder should be sufficient for potential buyers.

I guess owner whom had installed front solar film already did their due diligence.

Some even shared their positive experiences with front solar film installed. I am happy for them.

Thanks again for your reminder.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Richard. Thanks.

Can see your posts all over in XV/Imp/new forester threads with regards to front solar film for ES.

We understood your good intention on the declaration with insurance if one were to install front solar film at own risk. But generally I think one reminder should be sufficient for potential buyers.

I guess owner whom had installed front solar film already did their due diligence.

Some even shared their positive experiences with front solar film installed. I am happy for them.

Thanks again for your reminder.

Hi Seetong,

Yes, XV, Impreza and forester are the main Subara cars with eyesights that MI does not install solar film on the front windscreen.

Hope newbies are aware of risk of no claim from insurance companies due to "modification" and yet to hear of any owner with declared aftermarket solar film on front windscreen to insurance companies that had successfully extended or received their new policy which will then resolve such risk.

BTW, do you own such a subaru car and gotten such declaration with approved policy which I then hope you can share to benefit other bros.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi All,

Just to share my take on the solar film.

Had got my XV in April 19, installed the solar film shortly after, and the ES thus far had been working fine in day & night conditions and inside tunnel. The ES had not worked in heavy rain, in which the system will prompt you that the ES system is not active.

For the declaration, if i remember correctly, its not a declaration involving installation of solar film. The base line of the declaration is that MI will not be responsible for any accident due to the usage of ES (regardless with or without solar film). This I think is applicable to most brands, as the safety system is declared as assistance package, not automated driving.

As for insurance claim, thankfully had not have to deal with it (and hopefully never to), doesnt matter if you are using ES or not, it should not be considered a factor as driver is ultimately responsible, and should be judged accordingly without taking into consideration any safety system. An example is anti-collision braking (which many new cars have). If you had hit another vehicle in the back, you cant blame the system for not braking for you in time.

So for insurance claim, think the insurance company can only dispute that modifications (installation of solar film) had been made to prevent your vehicle to perform as intended, which i think does not hold if the solar film is according to LTA specified standards.

Above is just my personal take.

If no solar film inatall at the wind screen will melt????

Guess the whole world is melting......

Crash and burn...

(edited)

Hi All,

Just to share my take on the solar film.

Had got my XV in April 19, installed the solar film shortly after, and the ES thus far had been working fine in day & night conditions and inside tunnel. The ES had not worked in heavy rain, in which the system will prompt you that the ES system is not active.

For the declaration, if i remember correctly, its not a declaration involving installation of solar film. The base line of the declaration is that MI will not be responsible for any accident due to the usage of ES (regardless with or without solar film). This I think is applicable to most brands, as the safety system is declared as assistance package, not automated driving.

As for insurance claim, thankfully had not have to deal with it (and hopefully never to), doesnt matter if you are using ES or not, it should not be considered a factor as driver is ultimately responsible, and should be judged accordingly without taking into consideration any safety system. An example is anti-collision braking (which many new cars have). If you had hit another vehicle in the back, you cant blame the system for not braking for you in time.

So for insurance claim, think the insurance company can only dispute that modifications (installation of solar film) had been made to prevent your vehicle to perform as intended, which i think does not hold if the solar film is according to LTA specified standards.

Above is just my personal take.

Hi Joel

Unfortunately insurance companies do not have to dispute any modification or even prove that such modification is related to the claim and accident.

As long as not found something not declared and remotely associated, you can be deemed to have void the policy based on technicality and hence I would recommend owner with ES to declare in your new renewal on such aftermarket solar film that even MI do not install for a reason.

Cheers.

Richard

post-149594-0-82605200-1563922329_thumb.png

Edited by richard_crl032

Anyone know where to get side and rear bumber vender/underguard? Preferably with installation as well

Can try japan parts
↡ Advertisement