Rezorn86

New Subaru XV

Got the XV 1.6 on 5th of April, 1 day after my baby boy came out. The mileage is 1700km now. Just got the 1st service done in the Motor Image Leng Kee, the service is good, friendly guy... The fuel efficiency is not impressive but is considered good for this big car. 6.4-8L/100km in routine working route (admiralty to buoana vista), 7.8L/100km on Malaysia Highway (Sg-Yong Peng, Johor). Good handling, acceptable noise level, stable on high speed, no complain. I will consider this is a good buy~ :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Got the XV 1.6 on 5th of April, 1 day after my baby boy came out. The mileage is 1700km now. Just got the 1st service done in the Motor Image Leng Kee, the service is good, friendly guy... The fuel efficiency is not impressive but is considered good for this big car. 6.4-8L/100km in routine working route (admiralty to buoana vista), 7.8L/100km on Malaysia Highway (Sg-Yong Peng, Johor). Good handling, acceptable noise level, stable on high speed, no complain. I will consider this is a good buy~ :D

nice review....great car!

This XV I feel that it's giving buyers an affordable alternative choice from the Volvo XC70 & the Audi A4 Allroad.

Hi Ruennchai,

How is your XV right now after another 7 months on the road? I'm also considering this one.

Thanks for feedback and update.

Edited by Ehlim
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The 2L version is going for RM144k nett on the road. Yes, it is assembled in Malaysia.

• Praise 1

The 2L version is going for RM144k nett on the road. Yes, it is assembled in Malaysia.

Thanks for the info. I'm more keen to get feedback from current owners of Subaru XV 1.6.

Please help to provide more info.

I have been driving Subaru XV for near to 2 years.

The experience of driving this car had been good, but till last Thus (30 Jan 14), I went through the terrified experience on the highway.

When I was driving on the highway, near to Yong Peng, JB, at the speed of 110 km/hr (departed from JB), suddenly there was a huge and sharp boom sound came from the front car. And my steering went uncontrolled and the car couldn't propel, and the break went unstable. Fortunately it was around 3am and there wasn't much cars around me, otherwise, I couldn't have written this message anymore. There was no smoke, not tyre puncture, and car engine seemed normal physically.

FYI, my car was sent for service at Subaru Service Center, Leng Kee street on 7 Jan 2014.

I am quite puzzled and wondering whether any of the Subaru XV owner has experienced this malfunction before.....

My car is back to Subaru Service Center and still under inspection now.

Sigh.. missed my holiday and gathering with family members for this CNY...

• Praise 1

The experience of driving this car had been good, but till last Thus (30 Jan 14), I went through the terrified experience on the highway.

When I was driving on the highway, near to Yong Peng, JB, at the speed of 110 km/hr (departed from JB), suddenly there was a huge and sharp boom sound came from the front car. And my steering went uncontrolled and the car couldn't propel, and the break went unstable. Fortunately it was around 3am and there wasn't much cars around me, otherwise, I couldn't have written this message anymore. There was no smoke, not tyre puncture, and car engine seemed normal physically.

FYI, my car was sent for service at Subaru Service Center, Leng Kee street on 7 Jan 2014.

I am quite puzzled and wondering whether any of the Subaru XV owner has experienced this malfunction before.....

Oh dear....then how you manage to bring it back to Singapore at 3am in the middle of NSH ?

Anyway, you can always have your gathering at another time. What's important is that no one is hurt in this incident....

Edited by TVT

so did u have your ride towed back to sg from msia or u drove slowly back and then sent to agent for checks?

• Praise 1

arrggh, seldom a car will have this unknown things can happen tats y no people will highlight it out.

mmm did u buy showroom or test drive car? cos sometime if the car put it in a showroom for too long is not good for the car's health...

• Praise 1

Yeah, I am so grateful that no one is hurt in this incident [:)]

After the boom sound, my car couldn't be propelled at all. With my direct instinct, I quickly pulled the car to the far left lane (emergency lane) while car was still "rolling".

Imagine there was no street light at all in that area. For the sec, my mind went empty and felt helpless....

Luckily, there was one highway patrol car stopped behind my car within 5 min. (One thing good about Malaysia highways is, emergency assistance is provided). Although they didn't manage repair my car, I still feel glad that they were around when I needed help.

Within 10min, a towing truck arrived and offered to tow my car back to JB (not Sg). Without much consideration and bargain, I agreed to this offer and back to JB. Then called up Subaru to arrange towing truck from JB to Sg.

Lesson learned:

• always keep the important contacts for emergency used, as such 24hrs towing service, reliable mechanic in JB...
  • Subaru XV can only be towed as shown in photo

Yes, I have never encountered such an incident during my last 19 yrs of driving experience.

It is definitely strange and clueless.

I am not sure whether my car is showroom car or not. Nevertheless my car was still under warranty during the last service.

post-141389-0-20687800-1391438455_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

I am very puzzled. How come MIJ Subaru (now owned by Toyota) can be so "unreliable" contrary to what some people here always campaigning that they rather be in MIJ cars than contis when driving in MY highway 'cos you never know when sh1ts will happen.

Not trying to brand bash here, but reckon it's always and element of...........

Glad that you are safe and more important is you are safe. Car can always nursed back or get a new one.

Guess it's the CVT transmission belting giving way completely?

Yeah, I am so grateful that no one is hurt in this incident [:)]

After the boom sound, my car couldn't be propelled at all. With my direct instinct, I quickly pulled the car to the far left lane (emergency lane) while car was still "rolling".

Imagine there was no street light at all in that area. For the sec, my mind went empty and felt helpless....

Luckily, there was one highway patrol car stopped behind my car within 5 min. (One thing good about Malaysia highways is, emergency assistance is provided). Although they didn't manage repair my car, I still feel glad that they were around when I needed help.

Within 10min, a towing truck arrived and offered to tow my car back to JB (not Sg). Without much consideration and bargain, I agreed to this offer and back to JB. Then called up Subaru to arrange towing truck from JB to Sg.

Lesson learned:

• always keep the important contacts for emergency used, as such 24hrs towing service, reliable mechanic in JB...

Yes, I have never encountered such an incident during my last 19 yrs of driving experience.

It is definitely strange and clueless.

I am not sure whether my car is showroom car or not. Nevertheless my car was still under warranty during the last service.

I am not sure whether it is CVT transmission belting problem or not coz the strange thing after the car stopped and rested for more than 1 hour, car could be driven and moved again, but after driving 2min later, the car stopped and couldn't move again.

FYI, the last call from Subaru Service center today was that they couldn't find out the major issue is and need few more days for gearbox checking....

Edited by subaruxvncw

...suddenly there was a huge and sharp boom sound came from the front car. And my steering went uncontrolled and the car couldn't propel, and the break went unstable... and car engine seemed normal physically.

Seriously bro, I'm quite puzzled too.

Not bad....at 3am, the Toll Plus patrol car is till operating actively!

Its good that they tow your car back to JB, cos I tot they (the Highway tow truck) would only tow you to the nearest toll plaza, or town, and leave you there.

Yup, cos yours is a AWD vehicle, and all 4 wheels must be lifted up when towed.

• Praise 1

That is a scary thought when the car breaks down in foreign land at early morning. It is comforting to know that our neighbour's highway assistance is seriously efficient. Please do let us know what is the issue of your XV. I felt that it's the CVT personally. Subaru is well-known for their tough character for many years.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

In order to command a leader in the market, Toyota might want Subaru to die.

I am very puzzled. How come MIJ Subaru (now owned by Toyota) can be so "unreliable" contrary to what some people here always campaigning that they rather be in MIJ cars than contis when driving in MY highway 'cos you never know when sh1ts will happen.

Not trying to brand bash here, but reckon it's always and element of...........

Glad that you are safe and more important is you are safe. Car can always nursed back or get a new one.

Guess it's the CVT transmission belting giving way completely?

• Praise 1

In order to command a leader in the market, Toyota might want Subaru to die.

Doubt so lah unless they like burning away $$$$$

Hope they don't take over Mazda too 'cos designs will be screwed by them. Look at the Subs now, damn ugly....... and characterless. The old Subs ugly but with character.

Doubt so lah unless they like burning away $$$$$

Hope they don't take over Mazda too 'cos designs will be screwed by them. Look at the Subs now, damn ugly....... and characterless. The old Subs ugly but with character.

I agree with you bro.

• Praise 1

Nice to hear that you and others are fine - that;s the very 1st important.

Do update us again on the finding when the car is out - I am waiting for 1,6 coe (4 mths already)

• Praise 1

The new Subbies engines are using a newer type known as Linertronic (or something like that) right?

if not mistaken, its almost different as the past technology. no?

↡ Advertisement