Salute to the MRT hero

Ahtong

By JOYCE HOOI

IN the CBD, one marine insurance professional now gets swaggering rights in cubicle land, with the distinction of having smashed an SMRT train's glass window with a fire extinguisher.

The man who broke a window to let air into one of the many train carriages stranded without ventilation for almost an hour during the train breakdown on the North-South line on Thursday wishes to stay anonymous. 'I'm still afraid that I might get into trouble with the authorities, even though I had no criminal intent,' he told BT.

The 31-year-old and his wife had been travelling north after work when the lights began to flicker soon after their train left Dhoby Ghaut station. 'This never happens, so I knew something was wrong,' he said. Between Somerset and Orchard, the train came to a halt. The driver told passengers that the train was experiencing technical problems. 'Unfortunately, several other functions started to shut down. Eventually, it got to the point where the ventilation fans were not working,' he said.

People began calling the driver over the intercom. 'Some people were hungry, some were fainting and some had fainted. The calls to the driver were made by ... several different people. The plea was to have the doors open,' he recounted. 'The driver maintained that he could not and that he was trying to resolve the situation in a few minutes. But that did not materialise. And when he was asked to open the doors, he said that for the safety of the passengers, he could not.'

Soon, the situation in his own carriage became more dire. 'I could see even grown men doubling over and feeling uncomfortable in my carriage.' When things appeared as if they could not get any worse, they did. 'Suddenly, everything shut down - there were no lights, the intercom went dead. We had no means to contact the driver. The last thing we heard the driver say to (another passenger over the intercom) was: 'Sir, please don't try to force the door open.'

In the darkness, the would-be white-collar hero noticed that there were children and elderly people in the carriage. He himself was experiencing nausea. 'I said to my wife: 'Surely there must be a hammer somewhere around for emergencies.' Just then, my hand passed over a fire extinguisher cover that I was coincidentally standing next to. So I squatted and another man squatted with me and he used his handphone to help me unbuckle the fire extinguisher.'

It took him more than 10 blows, but he did it. When he stepped into the next carriage on his way to tell the driver what he had done, he was driven back by the lack of air. Some 20 minutes later, the train was brought to Orchard station, where it sat for another five minutes before the doors were pulled back and manually held open to let the commuters out. 'The cost of a broken window versus the cost of several people suffering in front of you - the decision was easy to make,' he said. He is philosophical about the matter. 'I'm pretty neutral towards how SMRT handled it. Stuff like this happens in life.'

↡ Advertisement

SINGAPORE - The man who smashed open the window of the stalled MRT train in Thursday's line breakdown has been hailed a 'hero' by at least one commuter.

According to Chinese evening paper Shin Min Daily News, he is believed to have done so as his wife was ill and had difficulty breathing.

The evening daily identified the man as a 31-year-old insurance agent, but he declined to give his name.

SMRT has said it would not penalise the man for the act, considering the cirumstances.

But in a Straits Times report, it advised commuters never to break windows or force the doors open in such a situation.

Senior vice-president for communications and services, Mr Goh Chee Kong, said that in the event of a power failure, there is a back-up system that will activate emergency lights within the carriages and provide ventilation.

However, in the incident on Thursday, one commuter interviewed by The Straits Times said the back-up system did not kick in.

Despite reassurances by the train driver 20 minutes into the breakdown, commuters were left in the dark without ventilation as the power was cut, said Ms Michelle Chan, 35, a secretary.

Ms Chan also commended the "hero" who smashed the window, saying "he did a good job" and should not be penalised for it.

According to Ms Chan, people were panting from the heat and a little boy beside her cried in fear. She felt herself panicking and growing breathless.

Ms Chan then overheard a man opposite her telling a woman next to him: "There is a fire extinguisher there. Let's smash the window."

Despite someone shouting at him to "cool down", the man, who was wearing a business shirt, calmly moved over to pick up the fire extinguisher.

He used it to hit the window five or six times before it shattered.

People started breathing more easily as air rushed in, said Ms Chan. The man then told passengers to stay away from the shattered glass as it was dangerous, she added.

The doors were eventually forced open by another passenger and people in the cabin were helped out.

Ms Chan took a photo of the broken MRT train window and sent it to a friend in hopes he could get help. The photo went viral soon after.

Should give him this

George-Cross.jpg

Edited by Ahtong

the ventilation not working yet dont break the windows?

Senior vice-president for communications and services, Mr Goh Chee Kong, said that in the event of a power failure, there is a back-up system that will activate emergency lights within the carriages and provide ventilation.

Easy to say since he is not the one gasping for breath. [rolleyes]

if SMRT dare sue him...............looks like ppl will be standing behind him to sue SMRT back............. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Skali all the ppl behind him push him go die [laugh]

SMRT is really bollocks. Don't force open doors or break windows if this happens AGAIN?

Then do what?

tink he waited for "official statement" from smrt that he wont b sued then he declare. haha.

anyway if smrt sue him for damages. tink pple will riot.

huh... all will break into xilin, bishan, toh guan depot and vandalise the trains, and the SMRT staff's faces.

SMRT is really bollocks. Don't force open doors or break windows if this happens AGAIN?

Then do what?

I am sure this will set a precedence for what to come. In future....SMRT break down..under similar circumstances more window will be broken.

The easier way for SMRT to prevent commuters breaking window is to do away all the fire extinguisher. If they really resort to such measure we can see how they value commuters. Is part of the fire safety regulation to keep fire extiugher inside the cabin.

This guy is the type of Singaporean our country needs .... dare to ignore stupid instructions and willing to take the initiative.

Unfortunately, he is also the type of Singaporean that MIW hates. I think they prefer everyone to quietly pass out from suffocation.

Then do what?

dont worry we can practice CPR on pretty mei mei until out of breath . .... you be the next hero :wub:

Edited by Jasonjst

Neutral Newbie

i think smrt wont sue him la. He will probably be fined instead. Didnt you see those "fine"notice on the buzzer and alarm buttons on the train? Even if he got fined, the people whom are naturally behind him will still keep quiet. A good example is our elections and pollings. Everyone is too scared to raise up.

Then do what?

All hospital in sgp: INCOME OPPERTUNITY!

that should not apply when in "emergency" but again if that really happens, it's kind of sad

another reason why people do not dare to voice out or do something when in doubt because fear of "fined or sued" afterward

i think smrt wont sue him la. He will probably be fined instead. Didnt you see those "fine"notice on the buzzer and alarm buttons on the train? Even if he got fined, the people whom are naturally behind him will still keep quiet. A good example is our elections and pollings. Everyone is too scared to raise up.

Edited by Wt_know

Neutral Newbie

that should not apply when in "emergency" but again if that really happens, it's kind of sad

another reason why people do not dare to voice out or do something when in doubt because fear of "penalty" after the fact

We all grew up in that kind of teaching. We've seen it in everyday events whether at work or out shopping. Cant do much about it. I think the most the "Hero" can do is write his story on forums and be known as a Keyboard Hero for a week or 2. [laugh]

All hospital in sgp: INCOME OPPERTUNITY!

No, opportunity not for hospital. It was reported in the news that only 2 women were sent to the hospital, and one of them even "escaped" from hospital, ignoring doctor's advice.

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement