To those driving manual cars

Vega

Nothing happen but I notice some drivers have this habit. Just curious to know the reason behind this. I drive a auto btw. [:)]

Certain mod cars have aggressive cam lobes. They don't idle well so need to rev to keep engine alive.

I remember watching fifth gear and top gear where there are some cars where the engine will automatically stop when you stop the car. Then automatically start the engine when you want to move off. Those are not hybrid cars.

Btw why will the aircon be hot when idling? I occasionally stop my engine when there is a bad traffic jam and I know probably can't move for at least a few min. All the time with the ignition on and the aircon and radio still on. The aircon still blowing cold air out.

The cool air will only last a short while because the coil is still cold. The aircon compressor runs on belt thus you need the engine to be running in order to turn the compressor.

The cool air will only last a short while because the coil is still cold. The aircon compressor runs on belt thus you need the engine to be running in order to turn the compressor.

on the latest BMWs with the stop start tech (which can be disabled), the aircon stays cool. Although it sounds intrusive, in reality it actually works. + When it senses the need for engine to return to power, it will automatically start the engine.

Twincharged

Never noticed that. lol. Usually I don't leave aircon on without engine for long. The most is 15-20min. Guess not long enough so never experienced the aircon turning hot.

Bring back old topic. 

To those who drive manual, at what mileage or point do you change your clutch?

Or do you wait for it to start slipping first before you change?

TIA

Just now, Philipkee said:

Bring back old topic. 

TIA

Just wait till it start to slip.  Most of the time, can last 100k km.

Labour cost for clutch change not cheap hor.

• Praise 2

41 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Bring back old topic. 

TIA

Last family car a WIRA, drove for 200k km mileage, no clutch change but it was a cable connected operation and can adjust.

Current an Avante, mileage is 155k km, so far clutch still going well, but not as strong biting but no slipping either.

• Praise 1

44 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Just wait till it start to slip.  Most of the time, can last 100k km.

Labour cost for clutch change not cheap hor.

3 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Last family car a WIRA, drove for 200k km mileage, no clutch change but it was a cable connected operation and can adjust.

Current an Avante, mileage is 155k km, so far clutch still going well, but not as strong biting but no slipping either.

Ok.  Just checking.  Cos my Honda City depends on this.  Cos I did tell myself if I have to do any major repair or replacement, then better keep my car to "make it worth it".   :D

Do not change clutch based on mileage travelled.

It really depend on the driver behaviour.

Once you feel slip - go for adjustment until beyond then change to a new clutch set.

Hope I answer on your Qs

• Praise 4

(edited)

Nothing to change until broke.

Didn't even change the clutch fluid 'cos the mechanic hear already gave me the WTF face. The last round, I asked them to change the gearbox oil, mech said don't need. Hahahaaa...

So, just leave them all alone until....

Notice mechs/ws like to recommend unnecessary change for easy/high margin items, but always shy from less than routine/troublesome items change.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 4

Twincharged
47 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Didn't even change the clutch fluid 'cos the mechanic hear already gave me the WTF face. The last round, I asked them to change the gearbox oil, mech said don't need. Hahahaaa...

Notice mechs/ws like to recommend unnecessary change for easy/high margin items, but always shy from less than routine/troublesome items change.

Change clutch fluid when you change brake fluid. Many share the same reservoir these days. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kangadrool said:

Fully agree with this.

For example you step into a W/S that advertise change EO with oil filter at $68.0 plus free 30 points check. Price looks attractive but once the EO drain out the so call check or walk around starts they will start to recommend to change this and change that until I also give up until all don't want they still recommend to change wiper. My experience

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I'm thinking of changing the clutch plate and clutch fluid. Been more than 10 years. Renewed COE another 10 years. Advisable? I don't want to wait till the car left few years I go change new clutch. Kinda errr....

8 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

I'm thinking of changing the clutch plate and clutch fluid. Been more than 10 years. Renewed COE another 10 years. Advisable? I don't want to wait till the car left few years I go change new clutch. Kinda errr....

Hi Bro,

You can always ask the workshop mechanics to do a test drive on your car to check on the clutch. He will advise you whether to change or adjust if he is your regular mechanics.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1