Insurance Query- Approved workshop only

Quirky

Question on motor insurance policy.

If your own insurance allows you to go to approved workshops only (does not include AD workshop), does it mean:

In the case where you are claiming 100% against another car, you can still go to any workshop (including AD workshop), since ur using another car's insurance?

I am deciding between 2 insurance policies. And the difference is that one allows all workshops and the other doesn't. And the former is more expensive.

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Just to add from my experience, even for 100% no fault claims, do consider the possibility that the claim may fail against the other party, eg. a bankrupt drunk driver, so it is safer and is the routine practice to claim against own insurance first, so make sure if your insurer has workshop restrictions, their workshop is acceptable to you. Then again, I think you can go to your own workshop provided the quote is the same or lower than the authorised workshops.

If claiming against another party,can go to AD workshop. I been there and did it. Only when claiming OD,you need to go to approved workshop. But then again,of you pay double the excess,you can still go to your preferred workshop. Which in your case, AD workshop.

If you are claiming against 3rd party , you can get it done in any workshop. But if you are claiming OD ( own damaged ) You have to go to your insurance Authorised Workshop. :)

Hmm.. I called the insurer's hotline, and the customer service gave me different info! He said can only go approved workshops in all circumstances. However, he sounded unsure.

I need to check with another customer service guy. Would also ask him whether can go AD if paying double the excess.

Thanks for the info!

Missed out your reply. :|

It's MSIG.

I've already checked with the counter staff.

If you buy the plan which allows only authorized workshops, you may not go to any other workshop (even AD) even if you are willing to top up, or you are claiming 100% against another party.

To MSIG's credit, they have quite an extensive list of authorized workshops. And they do offer another plan which allows you to go to any workshop.

Neutral Newbie

It's MSIG.

If you buy the plan which allows only authorized workshops, you may not go to any other workshop (even AD) even if you are willing to top up, or you are claiming 100% against another party.

To MSIG's credit, they have quite an extensive list of authorized workshops. And they do offer another plan which allows you to go to any workshop.

a load of bull!!

i am with MSIG too and when i got rear ended, i went to MY PREFERED workshop which is definately not part of MSIG authorized work shop.

so long as claim 3rd party u can go anywhere u like! claim as much as you like!

to hell with authorized workshop!

insurance company here are crap! increase premiums even with max ncd! wtf!!

as long as its 100% other party fault claim the MAX! go see doc claim injury!

Approved workshop applies if you are making claiming OD (Own Damage)

If you are claiming against 3rd party (ie other motorist insurance) you can go to any workshop you want. Including agents. But off course agents generally do not do 3rd party claim.

Eg. If you bang pple backside (touchwood), you have to use authorised workshop as stipulated on your policy. The other party can use the same workshop OR chose his own workshop.

If pple bang your backside, you can claim against his policy (3rd party claim) and go to any workshop you want.

Hope that clears the air for you.

It's MSIG.

That is crap IMHO...if I am claiming against 3rd party, it does not involve MSIG...under what authority do they have to control you to go where ? This applies even if the other party that you claim is MSIG...its his policy you are claiming against not yours...so you have a choice to go whichever workshop you want.

The other policy that allows you to chose whichever workshop that you want is based on filing an own damage claim.

was told by the ws i do 3rd party, they hv to call the 3rd party insu co, surveyor to check or inspec, or approve 1st b4 they can start any repair.

Is tis the right way ???

Hypersonic
(edited)

Anyone has done 3rd party claim from these workshop before? As in I want to claim another driver insurance.

Looking for one that is prompt.

post-1829-0-01704400-1488867968_thumb.png

Edited by Fcw75

Anyone has done 3rd party claim from these workshop before? As in I want to claim another driver insurance.

Looking for one that is prompt.

attachicon.gifimage.png

Workshop can be prompt but the other insurance company may not be... how?

Hypersonic

Workshop can be prompt but the other insurance company may not be... how?

That I cannot control but this I can control ma.

Time for car insurance renewal. Need some advice. Looking at policy quotes for "own workshop" or "insurer's workshop". My car is still relatively new and still covered by warranty. If I purchase a policy which does not allow own workshop, I need to go to insurance company's workshop, correct? Will this void my warranty? Is it more advisable to select a policy for "own workshop" (all repairs to be done at vehicle warranty workshop) in order to maintain vehicle's warranty? TIA.

↡ Advertisement