Home Project: Advice needed (technical or otherwise)

KARTer

post-79015-1324366539_thumb.jpg

DRIFTING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6rsa7v_sss...feature=related

RACING

CARS

post-79015-1324366112_thumb.jpg

For home-made track, the cars' speeds got to be set lower coz the track is much shorter/narrower.

You see, i am a fan of remote control racing on and off in the past.... tried different 'cars' and engines (gas/electric). Most of my 'cars' COE expired liao... but unlike real cars, new ones are still affordable (especially the MiniZs i am eyeing now).

This type is small but realistic (controls/steering and even bodyshapes.... its 1:27 scale, palm size, but the body details are almost as good as the die-cast display type)

The shops have their indoor tracks, about $5 you can race the whole day!!

But i have this sudden urge to build a 'portable/foldable' track at home and use a design i like (mimicking our F1 street circuit or Sepang etc).

My living+dining space is not very big, but good enough if i put a few tables/seats i have to the side and may even run the track over them....

Spent today's morning using masking tapes to mark out the layout, so far so good.

But I am not sure what type of carpet or textured/friction paint to use on the track made of plywood boards modules??

Any bros have some suggestions on the whole project, especially the choice of carpet / paints to give the tyres max grips?

I know this is quite a niche project, but it will be my Xmas/NY project (i will pass the bills to my wife, she no need to buy me present, just pay) :D:D

btw, I am eyeing a Lambor or Ferrari as my race car..... will go 'showroom' soon.

thank you in advance...

(i m also checking with MiniZ forums)

Edited by KARTer
↡ Advertisement

u go ECP race ur cars?

weekend evenings always see enthusiast racing among each other..

you mean the one at far end of ECP?.... used to go there last time.... the 1/8 gas engine cars can break man's ankle if they hit it at high speed :D

you mean the one at far end of ECP?.... used to go there last time.... the 1/8 gas engine cars can break man's ankle if they hit it at high speed :D

far end.. errr... near the HK cafe .. just right beside subway..

I think minZ is dead leh. I have a Mit Pajero. On new AAA batts, it can do drifting in my living room floor which is tiled. Mine mod with front LED headlights.

dscn2974s.jpg

far end.. errr... near the HK cafe .. just right beside subway..

ok, i know which one liao.....

the one i referred to is even further, as far as BayShore Condo... the the track is big: three basket ball courts.. :D

I think minZ is dead leh. I have a Mit Pajero. On new AAA batts, it can do drifting in my living room floor which is tiled. Mine mod with front LED headlights.

i think the peak is well over, but quite a few hardcore racers still go to the indoor track at Transit Rd (Sembawang Camp) to play.... dead actually good for me, parts will be cheap and i can stock pile for next few years (i dont take part in competitions, just play with few friends) :D

bayshore condo nearby got track? hmmm...

yes, its next to the Outward Bound Compound, Sea Sports Windsurf Centre.... you wont miss it [:)]

i think the peak is well over, but quite a few hardcore racers still go to the indoor track at Transit Rd (Sembawang Camp) to play.... dead actually good for me, parts will be cheap and i can stock pile for next few years (i dont take part in competitions, just play with few friends) :D

Its Nee Soon Camp, not Sembawang Camp. :D

Its Nee Soon Camp, not Sembawang Camp. :D

OIC.... then where's sembawang camp?... :D:D the one with helicopters and always traffic jam in front evening peak hour? sorry sorry :D

since you play RC boat, anyone still have the one which can speed in water, and also fly? saw on youtubes few years back....

I am interested in simple (electric?) speed boat (easy to maintain, ready to run type), any shop has good range? (the one at kitchener rd good?)... or a slow tug boat (got smoke best!)...

I guess missles shooting ones are way way too expensive?

OIC.... then where's sembawang camp?... :D:D the one with helicopters and always traffic jam in front evening peak hour? sorry sorry :D

since you play RC boat, anyone still have the one which can speed in water, and also fly? saw on youtubes few years back....

I am interested in simple (electric?) speed boat (easy to maintain, ready to run type), any shop has good range? (the one at kitchener rd good?)... or a slow tug boat (got smoke best!)...

I guess missles shooting ones are way way too expensive?

Sembawang Camp is along Admiralty West Road, where SAF Yacht Club is, cant reveal what its for. Find out urselve thru google map and streetview.

The one with helicopter is seletar camp. Opp Chong Pang one is Chong Pang RSAF camp. Opp Chong Pang camp is Khatib Camp, RT regulars will be familiar with it. [laugh]

I travel along that route everyday, so pretty familiar with the various camp there.

That one can fly and speed on water also die out liao. No one play that liao. Nowadays ppl go for seaplanes!!! Very chio, u see sure lau nua.

icon-a5-sport-flying-aircraft-unveiled.jpg

Hobbyzone-SuperCub068cc.jpg

Dynam%20PBY%20Catalina.jpg

OK, back to topic.............

Sembawang Camp is along Admiralty West Road, where SAF Yacht Club is, cant reveal what its for. Find out urselve thru google map and streetview.

The one with helicopter is seletar camp. Opp Chong Pang one is Chong Pang RSAF camp. Opp Chong Pang camp is Khatib Camp, RT regulars will be familiar with it. [laugh]

I travel along that route everyday, so pretty familiar with the various camp there.

That one can fly and speed on water also die out liao. No one play that liao. Nowadays ppl go for seaplanes!!! Very chio, u see sure lau nua.

OK, back to topic.............

about 2 yrs ago i first saw sea planes at sengkang park..... really good!!! ..... of all the rc planes, is this the least prone to crash during landing/take-off?

[:)]

about 2 yrs ago i first saw sea planes at sengkang park..... really good!!! ..... of all the rc planes, is this the least prone to crash during landing/take-off?

[:)]

I dont know. I dont fly planes. :D But I know how to fly plane, its easy for me.

I dont know. I dont fly planes. :D But I know how to fly plane, its easy for me.

Thanks.

Back to boasts, am thinking diy and 'carve' a boat from a block of heavy-duty foam block, fix a motor+electronic etc (buy from hobby shops), take care of the centre of gravity (to get a overall balance setup), and play with a home-made rc boat.... you know anyone has done this before?.... (i know it may be cheaper to buy one ready-made, but diy more satisfying) [:)]

In fact if I can get the weight/buoyancy right, can even do a half-submerged submarine?

Thanks.

Back to boasts, am thinking diy and 'carve' a boat from a block of heavy-duty foam block, fix a motor+electronic etc (buy from hobby shops), take care of the centre of gravity (to get a overall balance setup), and play with a home-made rc boat.... you know anyone has done this before?.... (i know it may be cheaper to buy one ready-made, but diy more satisfying) [:)]

In fact if I can get the weight/buoyancy right, can even do a half-submerged submarine?

U referring to an airboat???

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=r/c+airb...693&bih=877

WOW!!! .................. as airboat's propellors are above water, you think it will be easier to diy?

I am quite keen to do one (not sure how long it will take).... maybe start with a small-scale one as prototype to test things out. Any advice? :D

To make things really simple, may be twin fans (for speed and turning), so the radio can be very simple (just on/off, seprate for each fan), right?

↡ Advertisement