MP: SMRT staff cannot speak english well enough

Ahtong

MP defends 'broken English' comment on TV

Member of Parliament (MP) Seng Han Thong has defended a comment he made on national television that appears to criticize the English spoken by Malay and Indian SMRT staff.

In a note posted on his Facebook late Thursday night, Seng posted a partial transcript of the talk show and said that "unfortunately, some of my comments were mis-interpreted".

During the latest episode of "Blog.TV" on Channel NewsAsia on Monday, the MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC had said one of the reasons for SMRT's unpreparedness to deal with the disruptions last week was, according to the company's public relations team, the bad command of English by SMRT's Malay and Indian staff.

He said, "I noticed that the PR mentioned that some of the staff because they are Malay, they are Indian, they can't converse in English good, well enough, so that also deters them, from (sic) but I think we accept broken English."

His quote appears after the 2-minute mark.

Local blog The Online Citizen first posted the story, which quickly drew a flurry of comments from netizens, who said the MP should have known better than to single out the minority races.

Munny, a 23-year-old engineer, said that his comment offended her as a Malay.

"The way he said it, it was as if he was stereotyping the entire Malay community, that we are unable to communicate properly," said Munny.

Another Facebook user Mirza Mira added, "Please think before you speak. You are representing the multiracial community. I am very disappointed with your remarks...for pointing minority races for contribution of MRT incident problem."

Luqman Hussin also said that making ground level staff scapegoats for SMRT's recent troubles was unfair.

"I'm very much disturbed that an elected official, chairman of the transportation committee no less, can make such poorly considered and illogical statements. As if it wasn't disappointing enough that ground level SMRT staff are being made scapegoats for management lapses, introducing a racial element into the story is absolutely unforgiveable," he wrote.

Netizen Ashley Ten, 27, said although Seng seemed to be quoting another person, perhaps a public relations officer, "it is shocking to hear such comments by an MP. Whatever it is, it's still a very insensitive and unnecessary thing to say."

Others, however, defended the MP.

Tok Nicholas wrote on Facebook, "It's sad to see that so many people are posting many derogatory comments about you sir. Possibly misintepreted your words. It's unfair to be treated this way when you mentioned a quote from the PR."

Yet others felt Seng had yet to explain how his comments were mis-interpreted.

"From the transcript, it is even more incomprehensible. And you have yet to explain, in properly English, how your comments have been misintepreted," said user Luqman Anuar.

The television programme discussed the train disruptions that happened earlier this month and questioned if it could have been better handled.

Seng, who was one of the five guests on the show, was invited to provide a perspective from his role as the deputy chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport.

During the talkshow, Seng criticised SMRT's top-down communication and said that the staff on the ground were not given instructions quick enough on what to do.

"I believe the staff are waiting for instructions from the top, the operating control centre, the top, if the top did not give instructions, they cannot say anything for fear of that they might say something wrong," said Seng.

↡ Advertisement

Is there a KPI record for Pappies that indicates "Have you clocked your yearly PWN GOAL?"

No wonder they get pay rise every year. cos KPI always almost full marks.

Others, however, defended the MP.

Tok Nicholas wrote on Facebook, "It's sad to see that so many people are posting many derogatory comments about you sir. Possibly misintepreted your words. It's unfair to be treated this way when you mentioned a quote from the PR."

as a public figure he must know that whatever he said will be subjected to scrutiny, and more scrutiny... furthermore, isn't it a minimal requirement for any educated person not to take any comments (from a PR or otherwise) at face value, coming from a elected MP makes this even worst.

as a public figure he must know that whatever he said will be subjected to scrutiny, and more scrutiny... furthermore, isn't it a minimal requirement for any educated person not to take any comments (from a PR or otherwise) at face value, coming from a elected MP makes this even worst.

By saying this, he is being critical of the Education system of Singapore. Most of the local are brought up in the Singapore eductation system. If they cant speak well, it show a failure in the system.

Beside he is quoting from a PR? Did he try to defend the local staff? I thought as an Elected MP, he should be serving the citizen. Instead he is defending a bloody sucky company which is unable to provide a decent service.

Do we need him to represent the people?

That'll be the only chicken wing that i'll leave on the grill and the farker burn. With that kind of mouth I dunno how the meat will taste like.

Don't take any chances

Ya hor!!

Many the old chicken bone good for boiling soup.... to feed the pets?? :D

the old adage of pay peanuts get monkeys applies no more with this bunch of monkeys....now pay millions and get monkeys....short ones tall ones...idiots and morons. :angry: :angry:

Ya hor!!

Many the old chicken bone good for boiling soup.... to feed the pets?? :D

your pet very innocent lei! why go poison them with leftovers from a bunch of poisonou imbeciles :angry: :wacko:

Edited by Eviilusion

In today education system, i call it an academic education so we can technically call him academic educated but not morally educated.

your pet very innocent lei! why go poison them with leftovers from a bunch of poisonou imbeciles :angry: :wacko:

ok ok.... use the bone for reclaimed land fill.... no life will be threaten... :o

ok ok.... use the bone for reclaimed land fill.... no life will be threaten... :o

this one oso buay sai! reclaim land will be use by the living and thse imbeciles can even hurt us from down under(not aussieland).axtually their remains should be kept in a bunker built for radioactive waste n treated as more dangerous than any isotopes. [:p]

this time, he will be beheaded..... <_<<_<<_<

make sure its the correct head hor.................... :D dont use the wrong 'tool'.... axe/chainsaw for the small one, razor blade for the other :D

↡ Advertisement