Malaysia : Road Trip to Cameron Highlands

1fast1

where is good for breakfast at CH?

Roti Prata shop at Tanah Rata or if you feel like splurging, the breakfast buffet at Strawberry Park or Cameron Highlands Resort. Or if you prefer hot noodles, drive down to Tringkap where there are some local coffee shops. One particular shop along the roadside near to an indoor basketball court.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hmmm...Sunway lagoon will be ideal, for the kids and wifey's one stop shopping, and adjourn your journey to Cameron without going thru KL but do your bookings earlier.

Just a warning, in the TWCSG forum, last Sunday, one guy got his Wish stolen at Sunway lagoon hotel car park. Whole process took 9 mins and it was captured in hotel CCTV. He took all the precaution he knows e.g. steering lock, parked front in etc...

bavarian...u seem very experienced in driving up there. where do u suggest is a gd place to stay there? i'm planning to go there in march sch hols. nvr been there b4. most likely total ard 4 families.

Brinchang market has a ban-mian stall called "Restoran Pan Mee". Simple and good in my opinion. Had it twice over a 3D2N trip.

For steamboat dinners I went to Watercress Valley which is located after Hotel Equatorial in the direction of Simpang Pulai. The BOH tea centre is highly recommended for the stunning views but the food is just so-so as compared to the tea served at the Smokehouse.

I prefer the old route for its shorter distance as I went up via Simpang Pulai and came down via Tapah. However there is a higher risk of landslides during this rainy season as there were certain "hill cliffs" being cordoned off when I was there in September.

bavarian...u seem very experienced in driving up there. where do u suggest is a gd place to stay there? i'm planning to go there in march sch hols. nvr been there b4. most likely total ard 4 families.

My favourite is Strawberry Park. Good balance between value and quality. More importantly the rooms are quite spacious. A 2 bedroom suite is around RM350. It is not exactly the most luxurious but pretty much better than most hotels in Cameron. SBP is located slightly off the main road (about 1-2km iirc) and it is quiet and cool. Driving down to the main road, you can park your car just about anywhere near the junction and walk to up Brinchang on Pasar Malam nights when the traffic is stand still. It is less than 1km from the junction.

Cameron Highland Resort is very nice but the price is very steep. It is easily the most luxurious hotel in Cameron, think along the line of Raffles Hotel.

I don't like Equatorial too much as it is just like any commercial hotel you get anywhere. Furthermore, the traffic from the hotel to Brinchang is bad, especially near Kea Market. And walking is not an option. But the hotel is okay overall.

Hope this helps. Btw, lunch at "OK Tuck" is one of the best restaurant in Brinchang. The evening steamboat are mostly crap but just for the sake of it.

where is good for breakfast at CH?

Yo Aaroniki! Actually bad time to go CH this weekend. Wx man predicted heavy showers with flooding. If it rains, u will find moving around at CH kinda messy, more so if u hv little ones. But if u must go....

U can find good food at Tanah Rata as mentioned by some of the bros here. If u love scones (a must try when u r at CH), visit Lord's Cafe (above Marybrown at Tanah Rata). They offer the cheapest and bestest scones at CH! Some say die die must try!

Preferrably, try to stay at Brinchang, as the nite market is around there. That way, u dont need to drive there and then look for parking lots. Lots are almost impossible to find as most are also driving there to visit the pasar malam. Also, jams along the road cos of the nite market. Brinchang is a small town and everything is within walking distance. We usually leave our car at the hotel and walk around Brinchang. Once u take the car out of ur lot dont expect to find another again until LATE at nite! as in past midnite.

Important to time ur arrival at Brinchang outside 11am to 3.30pm. As at this time, the traffic just before Hotel Equatorial to Brinchang is at its worst both directions cos of Kea Mart and ppl checking out. Avoid evening time too.

Hv a pleasant trip and drive safe.

Edited by Puteh

thks bavarian. i shall look up strawberry park hotel. is the place ard there big? can get lost? cos from wat all u guys posted here, seems like there's a lot of things/places there. i've always imagine cameron is like genting...where the top is where everything is. but seems like cameron need to drive here n there.

thks bavarian. i shall look up strawberry park hotel. is the place ard there big? can get lost? cos from wat all u guys posted here, seems like there's a lot of things/places there. i've always imagine cameron is like genting...where the top is where everything is. but seems like cameron need to drive here n there.

It is nearly impossible to get lost in CH as there is essentially only one road that runs through the whole place. One end is Tapah, the other end Blue Valley (To Simpang Pulai). You might have some difficulty finding the exact places because of the lack of signboards but that is about it.

Depending on your priorities, there can be alot or nothing to do there, just like Genting. But for family with kids, there are some interesting farms to visit which keep the kids ever so fascinated. Some are okay, others just a rip off. You have to lower your standard/ expectation quite alot and you'll find the place vaguely enjoyable. [laugh] [laugh]

Generally, it is about the weather, countryside and the people that you go with.

i intend to bring them to the strawberry park n tea plantation. n of cos try the scones...since it's a must try. other than that, for me i jus wanna enjoy the weather n relax there.

i just came back from CH about 3 weeks ago. took simpang pulai up and tapah down.

simpang pulai is much further for me as my hotel is in tanah rata. But the journey up is easier, smoother and less stressful.

tapah is a lot shorter. but the roads are windy and narrow. sometimes lorries and cars will be driving in your lane to overtake so take note.

Everything else (like the BOH tea plantation strawberry farm etc. are quite easy to find.

If you are going down by tapah, just after tanah rata town, you will see a shop where tour bus will stop for people to buy some souvenirs , you can also stop there for a while and grab teh tarik and enjoy the beautiful scenery there.

U can find good food at Tanah Rata as mentioned by some of the bros here. If u love scones (a must try when u r at CH), visit Lord's Cafe (above Marybrown at Tanah Rata). They offer the cheapest and bestest scones at CH! Some say die die must try!

Yes, it is the cheapest in CH (think RM2.80) but not the best. best so far is served in Ye Old Smokehouse. Costs about RM9 for a scone if I remember correctly. But it comes with sufficient jam and most importantly, clotted cream. (Lord's or T-cafe gives only a paltry serving of jam and its with a 50c coin size squirt of whipped cream from a can.... not clotted cream) If weather is good..... you can choose to sit in the garden area of the Smokehouse to have your tea & scones while enjoying the fresher air and view of the flowers. (T-cafe or Lord's is on the 2nd storey of a shophouse along the road.... so expect alot of traffic noise and sometimes exhaust smell if traffic is heavy. Good for cheaper food but not for the atmosphere) - No offence to supporters of this eatery... I do eat there too but for purposes other than the quality of the food/cooking

i intend to bring them to the strawberry park n tea plantation. n of cos try the scones...since it's a must try. other than that, for me i jus wanna enjoy the weather n relax there.

If you're going with a few families, I'd recommend Equitorial Chalets. Parking is easier compared to parking in the town area. Kea farm is only like 5 to 10 min walk down the slope so can leave car at hotel/chalet. Staying in Brinchang or EQ is cooler than Tanah Rata. Do note that there is no airconditioning for all hotels in CH. Oh.... if your family is prone to motion sickness..... do drop by the pharma to get some pills and take them 1 hour prior to the ascend. You don't want to spoil half the day there waiting for family members to recover. The altitude makes the motion sickness worse and I myself take half a dose just in case (fatigue or lack of sleep can also worsen the effect)

Never stay in hotels right in the heart of town (especially with many shops below) unless you don't mind the early morning racket from businesses starting the day..... as early as 5am. :blink: and there's also rather loud broadcasted prayers being aired throughout the day. (if you're unlucky to put up near one of the speakers)

I am a rather frequent visitor to Cameron Highlands. Stayed in many different places there. My advice :

Hotels : Equatorial - Right at the peak, Kea Farms. Good views. Good standards (for CH). Apartments are better if travelling with family or in a group.

: Strawberry Park - Old but more famous. Decent.

: Smokehouse - Lower down. Not as cold. Expensive. Snob appeal : dress code, foortwear rules, etc.

: Century Pines - New. Located within 5 minutes walk to Tanah Merah town.

: Lakehouse - Lower down. Not as cold. Very expensive.

Private apartments : Much cheaper alternatives. Many choices. Many run by private individuals. Not as well kept as hotel's apartments. Beds, bedlinen, furniture are all cheaper grade. Many apartment sizes to choose from. Largest I stayed was 5 bedrooms! Good if travelling in a large group. Advantage of apartments, can cook, not so many house rules, easy car parks. Read up on apartment reviews on TripAdvisor. Most are direct contact to owner. Cash dealings only. No government tax, service tax, etc.

Driving directions : Depends on where you stay. If near the peak, take Simpang Pulai. If anything lower than Tanah Rata (biggest town there), take Tapah if your passengers can handle the motion sickness. Simpang Pulai easier drive. Tapah more winding but have nice waterfall halfway. Can stop there for a break, buy handicraft. Advice : if taking Simpang Pulai, have lunch there before heading up. Simpang Pulai town is only about 5 minutes from the road up to CH. Better and cheaper food. Otherwise, can consider lunch in Ipoh, about 30 minutes away. Caution : Simpang Pulai road have a lot of weekend bikers. Really nice road for bikes. If rainy season, Simpang Pulai road much safer.

Food : Steamboat restaurants at Tanah Rata town are all overpriced. Caters to tourists. If looking for Chinese food, go off the main road. Look for the housing estates and the shophouses there. Cheaper 'zhe char'. Malay food, go to the local mamak stalls. Indian food, go towards Kampung Raja or Tringkap. Local area. Tip : Starbucks Coffee at Tanah Rata offers free Wifi. Nice place to simply enjoy a cuppa, relax and go online.

Petrol and car care : No need to pump full tank prior to ascending. Petrol prices there exactly the same as those on lower levels. No point carrying the extra petrol weight. More important is to ensure your have good tires and brakes. Good wipers are essential due to the misty and wet conditions. Car workshops (if you really need them) are basic. Most are meant for commercial and farm vehicles. Expect your car to get really filthy, expecially the undercarriage.

Enjoy your hols. Let me know if need more info.

Petrol and car care : No need to pump full tank prior to ascending. Petrol prices there exactly the same as those on lower levels. No point carrying the extra petrol weight.

Bro,

I have the opposite view as you. Ensure at least more than half tank if you do not want to pump full. Reason is simple........ there's no koisks along the way up Simpang Pulai till maybe Kampung Raja (but I don't remember any major kiosks till into brinchang).

Then if stuck in the massive traffic jam near the peak (especially during school hols weekends), you won't run outta fuel. I was caught in one 2.5 hours jam where you can see EQ from a distance, but it took that long to get there. At that time, I ascended with more than a quarter tank and about half hour into the jam, my "fuel empty" lights already came on. Was so worried I wouldn't make it to the kiosk/hotel. Making matters worse the roads are at inclines..... perhaps there might still have some fuel left in the tank, but because of that, the car might just not get the supply???

So to be safe, I always pump as full as possible before going up. (There's a Petronas just at the start of the ascend using the Simpang Pulai route)

Turbocharged

gd tips n recommendations! thks guys. thinking agn, i might plan the trip for the june holidays instead. cos march is only 2 mths away...dont think will hv enuf time to plan. must read agn n list down all the tips.

Eh.... what is there to plan???

If got GPS... lagi simpler.....

All you need is to book your rooms, figure how to get to hotel and that's all......... the rest is all straight forward..... only one main road up & down from Brinchang to Ringlet passing Tanah Rata town inbetween. Most attractions are within this stretch.

gd tips n recommendations! thks guys. thinking agn, i might plan the trip for the june holidays instead. cos march is only 2 mths away...dont think will hv enuf time to plan. must read agn n list down all the tips.

June will be warm. Best time to visit is this few months.

↡ Advertisement