Malaysia : Road Trip to Cameron Highlands

1fast1

Yup, that road is really bad...if its muddy it is even worse. And oncoming lorries comes by will kick off so much dust as thou everywhere is hit by a sandstorm! [laugh] But once out of this road, the journey to Gua Musang (short stretch of highway 8) and to CH is both enjoyable and has breathtaking views!

Did you stay @ Equatorial CH again this time?

Yup, stayed at Equatorial again. They renovated their rooms and looks very modern now.

Screenshot from my car cam when I had to go offroad.

post-2654-0-97153900-1382056589_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

bro, how much you actually pay for at Equatorial?

i stay at hillview, a small apartment but i don't find it good.. too cold and no room tv..

i saw this tall hotel, somewhere near the central, with big signboard of RM88 per night, whereby lots of pasar malam during the night..

We like CH, very nice and cooling weather.. maybe if got extra money, can buy 1 for retirement or for leasing..

we stay 2D1N, who knows, probably we got rub shoulder along the way

i stay at hillview, a small apartment but i don't find it good.. too cold and no room tv..

i saw this tall hotel, somewhere near the central, with big signboard of RM88 per night, whereby lots of pasar malam during the night..

We like CH, very nice and cooling weather.. maybe if got extra money, can buy 1 for retirement or for leasing..

It was RM233 + RM40 upgrade comes with breakfast per night. Without breakfast is RM220 per night for superior room. I booked thru Asiarooms. Then one day before arrival, Equatorial customer relation manager email me their various promotion. So I picked the upgrade option and emailed her back thru free wifi when I was at Lake Kenyir resort.

See pics of the room and view at my write-up here : http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2691545-kuantan-lake-kenyir-cameron-highlands-melaka-road-trip/?p=5021007

Supercharged

I tot you stayed at Country Lodge?

That "hotel" you saw is probably an apartment. Got many such apartment in Brinchang, outside it looks like a condo, inside is big and usually has a kitchen. Great for families.

Supercharged

I tot you stayed at Country Lodge?

That "hotel" you saw is probably an apartment. Got many such apartment in Brinchang, outside it looks like a condo, inside is big and usually has a kitchen. Great for families.

nope, country lodge fully booked so had to settle hillview.. not that bad lah.. but just don't the small room... water supply was weak..

sound proof was bad.. can even hear people making love early in the morning...

weather already so freaking cold.. yet still can make love.. damn power

nope, country lodge fully booked so had to settle hillview.. not that bad lah.. but just don't the small room... water supply was weak..

sound proof was bad.. can even hear people making love early in the morning...

weather already so freaking cold.. yet still can make love.. damn power

Make love to keep warm. Exercise gets the blood pumping. [grin]

Hi

I will be driving to Cameron Highland next weekend from kl to our hotel at ringlet (lakehouse). The hotel staff advised us to take the old route as it is shorter and faster but we have heard that the new route is easier. Any recommendations on the route? Am worried that since our hotel is near the old route, we may have to drive a significant part of the old route anyway. Any kind souls can advise Pl? We have driven in Malaysia but not uphill.

To get to Ringlet is definitely nearer via Tapah way.

Anyway it had been a few months of dry weather, so risks of slippery road surface are greatly minimised.

Have an enjoyable trip

[drivingcar]

Hi

I will be driving to Cameron Highland next weekend from kl to our hotel at ringlet (lakehouse). The hotel staff advised us to take the old route as it is shorter and faster but we have heard that the new route is easier. Any recommendations on the route? Am worried that since our hotel is near the old route, we may have to drive a significant part of the old route anyway. Any kind souls can advise Pl? We have driven in Malaysia but not uphill.

Hi

Tapah route.

Taking Simpang Pulai will take you at least 1 hours more, it is a big detour. Ringlet is a lot nearer to Tapah than Simpang Pulai toll plaza.

Hi

Old route is fine. I always use the Tapah old route going up. Just take it slow and steady. If you are not rushing, forget about the overtaking.

Additional bonus of the old route is the waterfall stop. The water is clear and cooling, the locals sell some durians on the side. Nothing fantastic but if you might get "wild" durians.

Also, on the Tapah exit. Turn right towards Tapah town. 200 meters down the road, on the opposite side is a row of shophouses. The corner restaurant offers fantastic tzechar at ridiculously low price. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Restoran-Jin-Cheng/164572410275303?sk=info

Tapah route.

Taking Simpang Pulai will take you at least 1 hours more, it is a big detour. Ringlet is a lot nearer to Tapah than Simpang Pulai toll plaza.

This road to cameron refer to the direction from JB?

Yah...from the South. Most of us will be approaching from the south.

Looks like the road to cameron from penang/ipoh side is better.

Hypersonic

Hi

if not in a hurry, take the new route.

better condition, wider with less heavy trucks overloaded with produce

can even stop at Ipoh for a nice lunch before going up

• Praise 1

Looks like the road to cameron from penang/ipoh side is better.

How you see? You mean the NSHW is different coming from Penang or you mean that Simpang Pulai is a 'better' route than Tapah? Have you travelled either?

Neutral Newbie

How you see? You mean the NSHW is different coming from Penang or you mean that Simpang Pulai is a 'better' route than Tapah? Have you travelled either?

My Trip in 2011, i took the new route up from Ipoh, and came down from Tapah. Tapah road is rather narrow and curvy as compared to the new route.

Supercharged

Hi

You may want to view some Youtube videos on the 2 routes (Tapah and Simpang Pulai routes), and then decide which one you be more comfortable to take. That was what I did the last time before I drove up.

If you (after viewing the videos) think you are not comfortable with the old route, then take the new route. Do not force yourself to take the shorter route if you are not "easy" with it. Life is more important than 1-2 more hours of driving!

I have heard many say the old route is narrow and steeper to drive, but yet faster. On the other hand, the new route is easier to drive, but longer by about 1-2 hours. I only taken the new route before, and I can comment that it is easy to drive, and have nice scenic views along the way too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1