Malaysia : Road Trip to Cameron Highlands

1fast1

4 minutes ago, zipping said:

dun tink gps/waze will auto pick e simpang route fr sg (it's abt 50km futher up fr Tapah), iirc i point waze to simpang pulai then to my hotel in cameron.

Thanks for the heads up.

Shall do the same and head towards simpang pulai town first then head towards Cameron .

Thanks bro.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

so plan your trip to Ipoh ... pitstop for dim sum and taukey chicken ...

then you sure go up/down via simpang pulai .... else choose the route in waze

ops...it's meant for @Hamburger

but can still try 大树腿 ytf also (like 70s/80s cs), or another restaurant (Tuck Kee restoran 1-3A jalan king, pasir pinji, 31650 ipoh, perek) nearby for taugeh chicken

Edited by zipping

On 7/5/2022 at 10:12 PM, Hamburger said:

Any recommendations for decent hotel in Cameron highland?

Clean and with amenities nearby would be ideal. Newly built would be even better.🤗

See google map for Zenith Cameron Hotel. New.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Wt_know said:

never ever up/down Tapah... even have to drive further ... must up/down via simpang pulai !

Second this. Last took this route back to SG early this year due to an hour jam from where I was staying till Kea Farm and I can tell you the condition of the road is far worse than any rotting road we have in SG. To make matter worse, there are lorries speeding up/down this route and it's much longer than the Simpang route. Stress level on the driver cannot be described, especially if he also owns the car 🤣🤣🤣

Would recommend staying in Cameron Highland Resort if you have the budget. Their scones are top notch 🤣🤣🤣

Twincharged
9 hours ago, zipping said:

dun tink gps/waze will auto pick e simpang route fr sg (it's abt 45km further up fr Tapah), iirc i point waze to simpang pulai then to my hotel in cameron.

if i remember correctly. the time taken will be shorter as the speeds on the road on Simpang Pulai and the extra time on NSHW will be higher. have done both. both are just as fun.

34 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

if i remember correctly. the time taken will be shorter as the speeds on the road on Simpang Pulai and the extra time on NSHW will be higher. have done both. both are just as fun.

Unlike Simpang Pulai, Tapah is too narrow for fun driving especially when there is slow moving vehicles.

• Praise 1

On 7/5/2022 at 10:12 PM, Hamburger said:

Any recommendations for decent hotel in Cameron highland?

Clean and with amenities nearby would be ideal. Newly built would be even better.🤗

If you want to be far from the madding crowd, stay at Strawberry Park Resort... I just stayed there in June... newly renovated... very nice and comfortable... quiet and peaceful... there are places to sit and picnic and playground for children too...

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Unlike Simpang Pulai, Tapah is too narrow for fun driving especially when there is slow moving vehicles.

Singaporeans struggle with Tapah and even Simpang Pulai as lane discipline is pretty ingrained into our driving culture and we don't have mountain roads here. To enjoy Tapah, you need to drive like the Cameronians. 

Tapah is confirmed much faster than SP but you need to drive a higher cc car or one with good low end torque, otherwise you might crawl behind lorries smelling their diesel exhaust. 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

11 hours ago, zipping said:

used to stay at Copthorne Hotel whenever i drive up, there is a morin mkt & small pasa malam nearby.

normally will go Ipoh for makan then drive up/down via Simpang Pulai.

tried gg up via Tapah once, passengers all tio car sick 🤢

Copthorne Hotel is pretty run down already... not sure if they refurbished it recently... I didn't really go to that part during my visit in June... it's really very crowded and with the mall next to it fully open, it's a nightmare... my only time I passed that place was to drive to the tea plantation and to get to and out of Cameron Highlands...

• Praise 2

dun tink gps/waze will auto pick e simpang route fr sg (it's abt 45km further up fr Tapah), iirc i point waze to simpang pulai then to my hotel in cameron.

Google Maps will pick the Simpang Pulai route cos it's faster... your average speed is about double even though it's a bit longer... I just visited in June... drove up via Simpang Pulai with Google Maps directing me there... didn't have to specially set anything... I think that's cos I had data and based on traffic conditions, it was much faster and hence selected...

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Wt_know said:

never ever up/down Tapah... even have to drive further ... must up/down via simpang pulai !

That was the only route for many years, and I have driven that route quite a few times... it's fun and hair raising at the same time... you've got to have guts and good judgement for overtaking... plus your passengers must have strong stomachs... drivers usually not affected by the winding roads... 

On 11/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, inlinesix said:

Better avoid Cameron Highland on weekend.  Confirm long jam

Confirm plus chop... I was there in June... I was there from Wed to Mon... Wed & Thu traffic was smooth and everywhere was quiet and nice... come Fri - the traffic was gridlocked for hours... on Sun I decided ty venture out from Strawberry Park Resort for lunch in Tanah Rata... getting out was easy... going back to the hotel was the nightmare... we spent 2 hours traversing 6.6 km... mostly in standstill traffic... so don't play play... just avoid Fri to Sun... and also public holidays...

Just drive up on Mon and get out by Fri morning... I left at 6 am to avoid the crazy crowds... by the time I got down to the foothill at Simpang Pulai and stopped at the Petronas for breakfast (good cheap curry puff) the station was so crowded and there was a constant stream of cars going uphill non-stop... 

Never again... 

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Shall do the same and head towards simpang pulai town first then head towards Cameron .

Thanks bro.

It's the next exit after Tapah... clearly sign posted... can't miss it...

ops...it's meant for @Hamburger

but can still try 大树腿 ytf also (like 70s/80s cs), or another restaurant (Tuck Kee restoran 1-3A jalan king, pasir pinji, 31650 ipoh, perek) nearby for taugeh chicken

I tried Tuck Kee... food is nice... but not very refined... I prefer Restoran Oversea... just opposite Hotel Excelsior... that is the go to place in Ipoh... the roast pork melts in your mouth... the steamed soon hock is so fresh... and the wat dan horfun is simply delightful... best restaurant in Ipoh by a mile I would say...

Try the food at these 2 coffee shops in the downtown area: Thean Chun & Kong Heng... food is wonderful... if you take the heritage trail from the train station across to the clock tower and walk down, takes 15-30 min depending on your speed and how long you take to take in the sights and art murals... then you'll definitely end up at these 2 coffee shops... only open for breakfast and lunch... they're done by 3 pm or so...

• Praise 4

5 hours ago, Pmet said:

Second this. Last took this route back to SG early this year due to an hour jam from where I was staying till Kea Farm and I can tell you the condition of the road is far worse than any rotting road we have in SG. To make matter worse, there are lorries speeding up/down this route and it's much longer than the Simpang route. Stress level on the driver cannot be described, especially if he also owns the car 🤣🤣🤣

Would recommend staying in Cameron Highland Resort if you have the budget. Their scones are top notch 🤣🤣🤣

Why stress? Just follow the curves...

Cameron Highland Resort is bit overrated... very nice decor... I tried their afternoon tea and the scones aren't very good... the best are in The Smokehouse House Hotel (or Ye Old Smokehouse)... theirs is the best... and cheaper too... the best Western food is also found here... just tried in June this year... better atmosphere and decor... lovely garden... can walk around a bit after a heavy meal... I personally recommend the lamb chops...

• Praise 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

the result of going up cameron 2 weeks ago via Tapah!!! 

OJEK8627[1].JPG

Ur car kantong spring look broken plus severe hydraulic oil leak, ani jialat meh? Maybe ur kantong too hard liao.

I up down tapah many times thru the years, so far bo tachi leh but mine all soft kantong family car.

Edited by Cheesey74
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2