Malaysia : Road Trip to Cameron Highlands

1fast1

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Better check the weather first before going. 

The week I was there in June (1-6) it was cold... everyday below 20°C during the day and about 15-16°C at night... check which week got cold weather then chiong for it...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Singaporeans struggle with Tapah and even Simpang Pulai as lane discipline is pretty ingrained into our driving culture and we don't have mountain roads here. To enjoy Tapah, you need to drive like the Cameronians. 

Tapah is confirmed much faster than SP but you need to drive a higher cc car or one with good low end torque, otherwise you might crawl behind lorries smelling their diesel exhaust. 😂

Must be willing to rev your engine until the redline lor... I see those Perodua Axia also can overtake the lorries... just floor the pedal and let the engine go... still can enjoy the drive mah... I used to drive only a 1.6 L up and still can lar... must look for good opportunity and must have guts lor...

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

the result of going up cameron 2 weeks ago via Tapah!!! 

OJEK8627[1].JPG

Wah... what did you do bro? Run into a giant pothole?

(edited)
55 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Singaporeans struggle with Tapah and even Simpang Pulai as lane discipline is pretty ingrained into our driving culture and we don't have mountain roads here. To enjoy Tapah, you need to drive like the Cameronians. 

Tapah is confirmed much faster than SP but you need to drive a higher cc car or one with good low end torque, otherwise you might crawl behind lorries smelling their diesel exhaust. 😂

No need high cc car. My Mini also can fast & furious 

Just no fight with modded pickup

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Confirm plus chop... I was there in June... I was there from Wed to Mon... Wed & Thu traffic was smooth and everywhere was quiet and nice... come Fri - the traffic was gridlocked for hours... on Sun I decided ty venture out from Strawberry Park Resort for lunch in Tanah Rata... getting out was easy... going back to the hotel was the nightmare... we spent 2 hours traversing 6.6 km... mostly in standstill traffic... so don't play play... just avoid Fri to Sun... and also public holidays...

Just drive up on Mon and get out by Fri morning... I left at 6 am to avoid the crazy crowds... by the time I got down to the foothill at Simpang Pulai and stopped at the Petronas for breakfast (good cheap curry puff) the station was so crowded and there was a constant stream of cars going uphill non-stop... 

Never again... 

The choke point always in front of Kea Garden and Brinchang

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Yes, mini is perfect for Tapah route.

• Praise 2

Just now, inlinesix said:

The choke point always in front of Kea Garden and Brinchang

Yes totally agree... I have no idea why Kea Farm is so darn popular... it's like some permanent overgrown pasar malam with stalls all selling the same thing... I was there on a Thu, and it was super crowded already...

There are permanent car parks now... but that doesn't solve the problem... once these are full, people just park along the roads... and worse, many don't want to pay RM7 for the car park and so all just park on the road side... then on Fri to Sun when got tour bus... lagi sudah habis...

The week I went was a long weekend... Mon was the King's birthday... I was kind of trapped in my hotel from Fri to Sun lor... left on Mon at 6 am for Penang... thankfully it was clear all the way down... driving in the dark downhill is my first time... quite exhilarating actually... but also a bit scared cos my eyesight not the best...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, Pmet said:

Second this. Last took this route back to SG early this year due to an hour jam from where I was staying till Kea Farm and I can tell you the condition of the road is far worse than any rotting road we have in SG. To make matter worse, there are lorries speeding up/down this route and it's much longer than the Simpang route. Stress level on the driver cannot be described, especially if he also owns the car 🤣🤣🤣

Would recommend staying in Cameron Highland Resort if you have the budget. Their scones are top notch 🤣🤣🤣

actually i don't mind if lorries are speeding up/down. Usually they are a moving bottleneck. And unlike the locals, i don't dare to overtake on a blind corner. Just need to see a bit of the road is clear (sometimes across the valley of a righthander) then drop gear and zoom

that said, i do somewhat prefer going up via SP, as it's usually much faster and have nicer scenery. And if my hotel is in TR, i can take it the drive thru Kea farm/BC as part of the trip.

going down, i don't mind TP that much as heavy vehicles are usually faster going down than up. But i'll take SP if i'm heading north.

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

actually i don't mind if lorries are speeding up/down. Usually they are a moving bottleneck. And unlike the locals, i don't dare to overtake on a blind corner. Just need to see a bit of the road is clear (sometimes across the valley of a righthander) then drop gear and zoom

that said, i do somewhat prefer going up via SP, as it's usually much faster and have nicer scenery. And if my hotel is in TR, i can take it the drive thru Kea farm/BC as part of the trip.

going down, i don't mind TP that much as heavy vehicles are usually faster going down than up. But i'll take SP if i'm heading north.

Even going downhill the 20+ km between Tapah & Simpang Pulai exits is nothing on the expressway... but big difference for my passengers... and don't want anyone to throw up in the car... will smell for ages thereafter...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
13 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

i did a drive up via Tapah with a KL friend whose car was very similiar to mine, except his turbo spooled slightly slower than mine. 

i reached our designated rendezvous point up there abt 10min before he did 😄 it was tough for him to overtake lorries on the winding slopes with his torque band too far to the right - he needed a wider window to overtake safely

• Praise 3

Anyway not sure when this occurred but going up the Simpang Pulai route, somewhere about halfway where there's this large cafe that was by road... the original road there is gone... the landslides claimed the whole road... so there's an alternative very narrow single carriageway replacing it... so do be careful... especially going downhill... it's not sign posted until you're upon it in either direction... dangerous in the dark if you like to drive either early or late...

Supercharged
36 minutes ago, Cheesey74 said:

Ur car kantong spring look broken plus severe hydraulic oil leak, ani jialat meh? Maybe ur kantong too hard liao.

I up down tapah many times thru the years, so far bo tachi leh but mine all soft kantong family car.

i duuno leh, my ride on NSH was pretty good...even went up to 170km/h...then hit Tapah and went up the snakey roads that' when i started to feel the stiffness and all the bumpiness from the floor of the car to the steering...:TT_TT:

really difficult to drive up as cornering was bad...even my young daughter also say why is the car so bumpy...hahahha

Anyway, my absorbers already 6.5 yrs old, guess the right time to change...hahaha....but it was one hell of a ride up!!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
36 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Wah... what did you do bro? Run into a giant pothole?

a lot of small potholes...:TT_TT:

Supercharged
22 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Mini would be just nice, and also those hatchback like Golf...i drove my MPV up, big no no!!

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Spidey10 said:

a lot of small potholes...:TT_TT:

Oh? No wonder... 6.5 years old shouldn't need to change... you probably went quite fast lar... pothole can be small diameter but if deep the effect is quite jialat...

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Spidey10 said:

Mini would be just nice, and also those hatchback like Golf...i drove my MPV up, big no no!!

Cos you're also fully loaded lar... my Sonata 2.0 L filled to the brim with luggage until the rear sagged a bit... but I just rev until between 5000 to 6500 where the redline is lor... shiok eh...

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
17 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Oh? No wonder... 6.5 years old shouldn't need to change... you probably went quite fast lar... pothole can be small diameter but if deep the effect is quite jialat...

disagree. most of the foam/rubber bumpstops would have perished by then. a full compression of the shock with a broken bumpstop will surely kill the shock absorber.

Supercharged
(edited)
34 minutes ago, teomingern said:

average speed leh...how to go fast up there, else will fly off the cliff...:yeah-im-not-drunk:

the roads aint pretty for sure....if you are used to SG roads, be prepared when you trek up....my 2 cents, hahaha

Edited by Spidey10
↡ Advertisement