Debate-Rights Of Smokers Vs Non-Smokers

Vulcann

There is always this huge debate on the rights of smokers versus those of non-smoking folks'. So where do you stand?

Typical of those arguing their cases are portrayed here:

From ST Forum:

Smoker's view:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_747947.html

Don't use health as a proxy to browbeat smokers socially

Published on Dec 23, 2011

↡ Advertisement

Singaporeans smokers are usually senstive to the people around them, and just want a quiet smoke and I never bothered by them in all my years.

FT smokers are people who dont give a damn in the last few years I see.

Solution simple: Ban FT smokers from getting work permit here.

Well, being an ex-smoker, im mixed..... Im ok with people smoke around me since my previous 17yrs of smoking life was difinately more deadly than occasionally 2nd hand smoke but on the other hand, if im with my family, my wife and childrens, I mind those smokes.....

Singaporeans smokers are usually senstive to the people around them, and just want a quiet smoke and I never bothered by them in all my years.

FT smokers are people who dont give a damn in the last few years I see.

Solution simple: Ban FT smokers from getting work permit here.

Agree with thst observation... Perhaps they are so used to smoke together with anyone back home ...

I'm a non-smoker. I'm fine with pple smoking but not in enclosed places or public spaces.

Smoking areas are fine. I agree that some sensible limit must be in place to not enroach on other people's right to be stupid hehe [:p]

Smokers, to a certain extent, bring all this negative scrutiny down on themselves. For example, I'm not one of those who really frowns on outdoor smoking in an open space. But take, for instance, the way some smokers like to smoke and walk, ensuring that all who follow are forced to breathe a steady trail of smoke. This persists until they manage to overtake the smoker, only to have the wind cruelly and capriciously change direction to spite them. Smokers should be aware of profoundly irritating behaviour like this. It's easy to modify this too - if you want to smoke, just "relakk one corner" and enjoy the fag - that way people can easily hold their breath and walk rapidly away from you should they choose to. But many smokers want to have their cake and eat it too (i.e. by "walk-smoking") and this is one of the things that have stretched the patience of non-smokers past the breaking point.

Edited by Turboflat4

And with regard to smoking at home, some smokers abuse this too. I had an expat (Ang Mor) lady staying opposite my house who used to smoke in her balcony. The ciggie smoke used to waft straight into my window despite the separation (both bungalows separated by a rather large drain and grassy area). I thought of gently admonishing her, but then she also had the habit of sunbathing on her balcony in skimpy bikinis and since she was quite a MILF, I decided to let it slide. On balance. [laugh]

And with regard to smoking at home, some smokers abuse this too. I had an expat (Ang Mor) lady staying opposite my house who used to smoke in her balcony. The ciggie smoke used to waft straight into my window despite the separation (both bungalows separated by a rather large drain and grassy area). I thought of gently admonishing her, but then she also had the habit of sunbathing on her balcony in skimpy bikinis and since she was quite a MILF, I decided to let it slide. On balance. [laugh]

LOL..... does she also smoke in her bikinis? what will you do then? [:p]

surely she's aware of your presence, and decides to tease you [laugh]

sunbath yourself with few durians in your balcony?

Edited by KARTer

I am a smoker but i will never intentionally try and puff smoke all around....

normally smoke together with smokers...

when with non smoking friends, will just go to a correct spot to smoke(this usually does not have much human beings hanging around)

I am an ex-smoker and still enjoy an ocassional puff.

Few things can be done:

- Banned smokeing in public and enforce it strictly except in designated yellow boxes. Sad to rely on strict enforcement but no choice in sgp which is unlike places like Japan where smokers really respect others and even carry their own tiny ashtray (my observations, you may disagree)

- Cut back of medical subsidies/priorities for smoke-related illnesses.

- Increase tax on cigs and make it extremely inconvenient to buy them.

- Others??

[:)]

Myself non-smoker & nothing against one.

Just that would actively avoid smokey areas when with my OC & kids previously but now with legislation up on smoking bans at many areas, the situation is better nowadays.

LOL..... does she also smoke in her bikinis? what will you do then? [:p]

surely she's aware of your presence, and decides to tease you [laugh]

sunbath yourself with few durians in your balcony?

You're probably right - her balcony was such that I (and only I) had a clear view of her. Aiyah, married oreddy lah, what to do? Can look look, cannot touch touch. [laugh][:p]

I'm actually surrounded by Ang Mors. The lady in the house on the other side has shown me quite a bit more (topless in panties) on a few occasions. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

I'm a non-smoker, and I hate cigarette smoke but I am strongly against widening the smoke ban. The smoke ban is obviously imposed by a bunch of retards, probably SAF generals, because they think they issue an order, and it will be followed unquestioningly.

Ever since the coffeeshop smoke ban, I find myself "fumigated" MORE in places I can't escape, eg the lift, my home, carparks, toilets, entrances to buildings, children playgrounds, any public space with benches, included the edges of coffeeshops...

Smokers are not going to give up smoking because it is inconvenient. Just like our ERP, you plug one hole up, the problem will just show up elsewhere. Any smoking restriction must be done with some common sense. Eg you cant put yellow box in unsheltered outdoors and expect smokers to smoke in the rain and sun. Unreasonable rules will be met with contempt and smokers will rebel at where they can get away with, and the pent up anger will just make the smokers more hostile and uncaring.

However, I do support the suggestion to strictly ban smoking for those born after 2000... until this batch turns 21 anyway, and keep the smoke ban for those under 21.

Myself non-smoker & nothing against one.

Just that would actively avoid smokey areas when with my OC & kids previously but now with legislation up on smoking bans at many areas, the situation is better nowadays.

true. even kopitiam fewer ppl flout the smoking rules and smoke outside the yellow box, only the old uncles usually. but they won't be around after a while.

↡ Advertisement