National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

7 hours ago, Weez911 said:

We started with 240 in 1 company. On our last day, we were left with about 100. Most dropped out because they can't meet the physical requirements, some got downgraded, a handful went to pilot, 1 or 2 disrupted to study as doctors, 1 transferred to police as he is a scholar. That's all I remember.

Your camp very likely near a bump boat jetty....and lots of big chalets... 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

15 hours ago, Weez911 said:

We started with 240 in 1 company. On our last day, we were left with about 100. Most dropped out because they can't meet the physical requirements, some got downgraded, a handful went to pilot, 1 or 2 disrupted to study as doctors, 1 transferred to police as he is a scholar. That's all I remember.

wah... less than half left...

lucky i was not selected eventually. Was counting on escape route via signing on pilot if i was, but pilot failed checkout also...

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

wah... less than half left...

lucky i was not selected eventually. Was counting on escape route via signing on pilot if i was, but pilot failed checkout also...

It was not all bad there. The tekan and training were shiat but I made a lot of good friends, and we still keep in touch today. There were a lot of funny stories and laughter then. The regulars in this camp are epic funny. And outside you have to pay to parachute and rappel, here is free!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

On 9/25/2020 at 10:19 PM, Confusedboi said:

For my batch  still got APB  but got crane to help us move the heavy shit parts around most of the time, only fine tuning then need manual manpower not like your time all by hand i think. Did APB once only during NSF days , one month plus  after Crescendo just before going to ORD

The old grounds where you did your training during your time now converted to ITI ( infantry training institute) where the infantry and  guards reservist units report there ( think its called Jurong camp 3 now) they are cordoned off from the rest of Jurong camp. Now 30 SCE is next to the main road ( opposite HQ 3 DIV). Yes there is a side gate which we use. You can see the map below where i think you used to train ages ago 😄

You are sergeant ranking? Is that why you got posted to armor engineers for further training? Nowadays unheard of to go for double vocation training ( Field engineer to Armor engineer) unless sign on. Your time must be 1990s or earlier😅

image.png

The place i was in - which you marked out correctly - was sch of combat engr (SOCE), not 30 SCE. Didn't know it has become infantry training already... Where did SOCE go to then?

Imagine from so deep inside, had to walk out to Upp Jurong Rd when there's no tonner... 😅

APB, MGB... did those until so siong... still remembered instructors stressed to us umpteen times when carrying the heavy bridging parts, MUST NOT bend the back, but MUST squat down, or else will injure back. In fact, when we were posted to 38 SCE, got a few regular from 30 SCE also got posted there, cos they had back injuries so was deemed better to not stay in 30 SCE, as they would have needed to do bridging. The darn bridging parts would require each soldier to carry average 48-51 kg each, regardless of which piece it was. shack...

And the 24 bay MGB would need the whole platoon a bit more than 2 hr to complete. Then after that at 38 SCE, the AVLB which was about the same length, would only need a few min and the 2 crew to launch!!! No wonder should phase out the manual bridging...

That time suay, did 9 wk support safincos course, only passed out as LCP. Needed another hellish 20 wk Basic Engineer NCO (BENC) course at SOCE, to earn the 2nd stripe to CPL... Others who did 12 wk infantry safincos, alreay passed out as CPL and posted to unit...

worse still, after BENC, posted to 38 SCE to do 12 wk armoured conversion. And after that, go through an almost similar 12 wk course when our platoon (men) who was 1 yr younger, had to do the conversion too. We remained as CPL, and led the men to be posted out to Armour. By that time, we had only 11 mth to go before we would disrupt to go univ., and the men would be promoted to LCP after 1 yr, and CPL after 2 yr -- just so that these A-level men can be made to serve 2.5 yr.

SAF obviously recognised the rank issue, so introduced the Corporal First Class (CFC) rank for the NCOs. That's what i held when i disrupted, and then later during reservist, again changed... NCOs would become 3SG (cos all the men are CPL).

On 9/26/2020 at 1:17 AM, Kopites said:

I hate washing of vehicle.

A or B?

The M113 we had to wash... was siong. Actually using the pressure hose to wash the mud off the vehicle, was not siong. But after that needed to clear the mud away from the washing bay and the manhole... was the killer. Had to jump inside the manhole filled with mud to knee or waist level, then scoop out the mud on wheelbarrow to wheel to outside camp to dump 😓

• Haha! 1

On 9/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, Weez911 said:

It was not all bad there. The tekan and training were shiat but I made a lot of good friends, and we still keep in touch today. There were a lot of funny stories and laughter then. The regulars in this camp are epic funny. And outside you have to pay to parachute and rappel, here is free!

Arrh yes...

3 decades on, my platoon still has countless interesting stories to share when we do meet. Wouldn't want to go through it again, but the experience was truly enriching in its own right.

I like the bit about free trial of parachute and rappelling. Maybe SAF can think of how to make some $$ from offering it to the public😆 

• Haha! 1

On 9/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, Weez911 said:

Commando and naval divers are still mono-intake, and will forever be this way, because their tekan and physical trainings are epic and have to start earlier.

Mono-intake means the bus fetch you directly from CMPB to Hendon camp, and the tekan starts from Day 1. 

Suffer or die. Never ask why.

Now no more pick up from pasir ris park to hendon?

On 9/26/2020 at 1:17 AM, Kopites said:

I hate washing of vehicle.

Not to mention the long queue...

There was once the reservists resourcefully had the vehicle washed at a nearby construction site by bangala...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

A or B?

The M113 we had to wash... was siong. Actually using the pressure hose to wash the mud off the vehicle, was not siong. But after that needed to clear the mud away from the washing bay and the manhole... was the killer. Had to jump inside the manhole filled with mud to knee or waist level, then scoop out the mud on wheelbarrow to wheel to outside camp to dump 😓

Actually why never outsource.... set up washing bay.. should be viable

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

The place i was in - which you marked out correctly - was sch of combat engr (SOCE), not 30 SCE. Didn't know it has become infantry training already... Where did SOCE go to then?

Imagine from so deep inside, had to walk out to Upp Jurong Rd when there's no tonner... 😅

APB, MGB... did those until so siong... still remembered instructors stressed to us umpteen times when carrying the heavy bridging parts, MUST NOT bend the back, but MUST squat down, or else will injure back. In fact, when we were posted to 38 SCE, got a few regular from 30 SCE also got posted there, cos they had back injuries so was deemed better to not stay in 30 SCE, as they would have needed to do bridging. The darn bridging parts would require each soldier to carry average 48-51 kg each, regardless of which piece it was. shack...

And the 24 bay MGB would need the whole platoon a bit more than 2 hr to complete. Then after that at 38 SCE, the AVLB which was about the same length, would only need a few min and the 2 crew to launch!!! No wonder should phase out the manual bridging...

That time suay, did 9 wk support safincos course, only passed out as LCP. Needed another hellish 20 wk Basic Engineer NCO (BENC) course at SOCE, to earn the 2nd stripe to CPL... Others who did 12 wk infantry safincos, alreay passed out as CPL and posted to unit...

worse still, after BENC, posted to 38 SCE to do 12 wk armoured conversion. And after that, go through an almost similar 12 wk course when our platoon (men) who was 1 yr younger, had to do the conversion too. We remained as CPL, and led the men to be posted out to Armour. By that time, we had only 11 mth to go before we would disrupt to go univ., and the men would be promoted to LCP after 1 yr, and CPL after 2 yr -- just so that these A-level men can be made to serve 2.5 yr.

SAF obviously recognised the rank issue, so introduced the Corporal First Class (CFC) rank for the NCOs. That's what i held when i disrupted, and then later during reservist, again changed... NCOs would become 3SG (cos all the men are CPL).

SOCE is called ETI nowadays ( Engineer Training institute) where some SCE reservist units report to and is located at Nee Soon camp next to ADF ( Army development force, all regulars ) and  military medicine training institute for combat medics and MO doctors is nearby as well. Got some classified units i think totally fenced off within nee soon camp.  During canteen break in ICT, saw some soldiers with red berets thought they were commandos then saw their sleeve got special forces tabs, totally stunned to see in real life.

Wow that sucks need to walk so far in then reach the actual unit.

The emphasise on not bending backs and must squat down when carry heavy things like STB  is still around otherwise very easy to injure back, drilled into our heads.

Wow you on course for so long, when i was NSF ( '06-'08) they post promising candidates go SISPEC for BSLC ( Basic section leader course)for 2 months plus pass out as CPL then go ETI for Engineer training for another 3 months plus i think pass out as 3SG then they post to join units. Officer cadets go OCS for 3 months at OCS then remaining 5 months plus at ETI for engineer cadets before they go back OCS for a few weeks to practice for commission then get posted to unit.

For men most of us ORD as CPL, some as CFC (very few), a few ORD as LCP i think cant really recall already.

Nowadays dont call NCO,  3SG normally section commander  ,2SG or 1 SG ( normally platoon SGT) or  Staff Sgt or master SGT

( company CSM), 

Service length for NSF maximum now is 24 months, minimum is 22 months assuming you get Silver award and above during JC2 Napha test or during your poly/ITE final year ( I served 22 months so enlist one month later then PTP batch and ORD one month earlier than them)😁

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Not to mention the long queue...

There was once the reservists resourcefully had the vehicle washed at a nearby construction site by bangala...

Mine time slot always the 2 / 3 am....

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Atrecord said:

A or B?

M113 ambulance. 2 person 

AI 4 to 5 person.

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Playtime said:

Maybe now they have outsource washing army vehicles liao? 🤔 Since they have already outsource cookhouse.

7 hours ago, Playtime said:

very enterprising. but not everyday needs to wash hor... maybe every Fri/Sat before book out only. Rest of the week must find other biz... 😅

7 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

SOCE is called ETI nowadays ( Engineer Training institute) where some SCE reservist units report to and is located at Nee Soon camp next to ADF ( Army development force, all regulars ) and  military medicine training institute for combat medics and MO doctors is nearby as well. Got some classified units i think totally fenced off within nee soon camp.  During canteen break in ICT, saw some soldiers with red berets thought they were commandos then saw their sleeve got special forces tabs, totally stunned to see in real life.

Wow that sucks need to walk so far in then reach the actual unit.

The emphasise on not bending backs and must squat down when carry heavy things like STB  is still around otherwise very easy to injure back, drilled into our heads.

Wow you on course for so long, when i was NSF ( '06-'08) they post promising candidates go SISPEC for BSLC ( Basic section leader course)for 2 months plus pass out as CPL then go ETI for Engineer training for another 3 months plus i think pass out as 3SG then they post to join units. Officer cadets go OCS for 3 months at OCS then remaining 5 months plus at ETI for engineer cadets before they go back OCS for a few weeks to practice for commission then get posted to unit.

For men most of us ORD as CPL, some as CFC (very few), a few ORD as LCP i think cant really recall already.

Nowadays dont call NCO,  3SG normally section commander  ,2SG or 1 SG ( normally platoon SGT) or  Staff Sgt or master SGT

( company CSM), 

Service length for NSF maximum now is 24 months, minimum is 22 months assuming you get Silver award and above during JC2 Napha test or during your poly/ITE final year ( I served 22 months so enlist one month later then PTP batch and ORD one month earlier than them)😁

Aiyoh... every new general sure wanna change things... everything so different...

STB i don't remember got much to carry leh, unlike MGB/APB. On back injury, the irony is that I survived bridging without issue, but later years got a few times sprained my back when bending down to pick up much much lighter things like A4 paper 🤣

yah, shit. On course 1 yr 4 mth. I think unheard of, for NCO. Bo huah max... even longer than many/most officers... if my time got 22 mth, then will only be operational for half year, ha ha...

everything cut short, when i started reservist, was 13-yr (9 high, 4 low keys) cycle. After we've done 8 high and 2 low keys (total 10), mindef changed to 10 yr (7 high, 3 low keys) cycle. Having already served 10 (8 high 2 low) cycles, mindef still said we were short of 1 low key, and got us to complete it... really was lugi...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1