National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

43 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Did you all go straight to Pasir Ris camp for BMT/BCT? 

During my time, we reported to CMPB, then buses transported us to Hendon directly, because our BMT started in Hendon.

For me is report at pasir ris park on day 1 bmt. Go to hendon. First night and last night of my nsf i slept at the same building same floor same room same corner, from chao recruit till ord. Level 3 btw.

↡ Advertisement

Just now, Columbian78 said:

For me is report at pasir ris park on day 1 bmt. Go to hendon. First night and last night of my nsf i slept at the same building same floor same room same corner. Level 3 btw.

I see. I understand they are now having BMT/BCT/vocation(?) in Pasir Ris Camp. Only operational ready companies are now based in Hendon.

I dink the bye bye no idea about who enlists in the US marines. He does believe that all men are equal and that he can give Mr Sikh a long run for his money.

Kids who grew up on the mean streets of the barrio/ghetto. Not your obedient Singapore child but that gang banging or the military, some choose to gang bang in the military as well. They have seen much at 14, maybe more than Mr byebye.

You train an attack dog, you get an attack dog. You train a lapdog, you get a lapdog.

What happens attack dog no use at all and it wants to attack.

For those in the know....

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

You tried 2 person wash vehicle clear obm stock....clean up washing bay..shower at 5am...freezing cold with no heater.

i know exactly what you meant and how you felt lah.

Wash vehicle cannot too many people anyway. Without the pressure hose, can't do anything. It's just that if got more help, then can carry the bench and other stores, and will be faster. i also washed vehicle alone before, take over from my driver to give him a break. The rest of the men needed to go clean arms, return stores (OVM, signal...)

But i admit i never so suay tio midnight slot. Didn't even know it's allowed, until read it here. 

• Praise 3

20 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Wash vehicle cannot too many people anyway. Without the pressure hose, can't do anything. It's just that if got more help, then can carry the bench and other stores, and will be faster. i also washed vehicle alone before, take over from my driver to give him a break. The rest of the men needed to go clean arms, return stores (OVM, signal...)

But i admit i never so suay tio midnight slot. Didn't even know it's allowed, until read it here. 

You are such a good commander ah, wash vehicle alone and ask your driver to go take a break? I never see such a commander before in my entire NS life, everytime after outfield and back to camp, all busy doing on the stuff they suppose to do, so washing up the vehicle is the driver's job, no one would help the driver de.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

For company line it all depend on the csm! Big ball or small ball...

FYI, washing bay is open for 24 hours.

The best slot are those immediately after returning to camp. Those slots are always reserved for those cb cho bolang HQ kia.😬.

If you gotten the night slots which happened to me most of the time...after camp you shower / clean up smell nice nice and than 1am putting on that stinky muddy dirty boot and nos 4 again.

I beg you will cure and swear.

• Haha! 2

13 hours ago, 13177 said:

The MT line accepted the tonner which you guys did not washed?

The toner is going to be signed out to support another exercise the day. Wash for what ? MT line also no time to check or reject.

• Haha! 2

4 hours ago, 13177 said:

When you were only 19-20 year old, you would not feel cold even shower with no heater at early morning or late at night de. I also dont know how i survived back then? Lol.

Last time young. Anything is possible.

I recall last time I took the Bridging Commander Course. Every night sleep 3 to 4 hours max for 2 months during the course with feet and boots constantly wet. Wake up still have to carry heavy bridge components. 

During the course exercise, my buddy and me found a good camo spot behind a tonner to nap for a while. We both fell into a deep sleep. I woke up at 3 am to see heavy vehicles zooming past the left and right of us. I immediately woke him up cos there would be a high chance we would be rolled over or if a vehicle reverse and park.

No sure how we survived those days.

• Haha! 4

4 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Any air force tech from SBAB?

You chopper tech ah? Me not SBAB. Me air force tech from Seletar AB, then reservist at PLAB. But my NS time very long ago one. In the 1970s 

• Praise 2

22 minutes ago, serenade said:

You chopper tech ah? Me not SBAB. Me air force tech from Seletar AB, then reservist at PLAB. But my NS time very long ago one. In the 1970s 

Yea, previously was from the now defunct 120 SQN, attended AFS.. one of the best days of NS life..

35 minutes ago, Davidklt said:

I recall last time I took the Bridging Commander Course. Every night sleep 3 to 4 hours max for 2 months during the course with feet and boots constantly wet. Wake up still have to carry heavy bridge components. 

During the course exercise, my buddy and me found a good camo spot behind a tonner to nap for a while. We both fell into a deep sleep. I woke up at 3 am to see heavy vehicles zooming past the left and right of us. I immediately woke him up cos there would be a high chance we would be rolled over or if a vehicle reverse and park.

During my army days, we were told never never sleep behind/under/near to any of a vehicle, super dangerous cause driver might not be aware someone is sleeping there, and also the vehicle might roll over in those terrain. But during outfield, many times we were too shag and tired to think so much.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

You are such a good commander ah, wash vehicle alone and ask your driver to go take a break? I never see such a commander before in my entire NS life, everytime after outfield and back to camp, all busy doing on the stuff they suppose to do, so washing up the vehicle is the driver's job, no one would help the driver de.

i was vehicle commander hor, not right to push to driver alone lah. Besides, all in the same bunk, better be zhi dong lah... and we are NCOs niah, not platoon, company, battalion or brigade commanders leh 😂 

NCOs are the sandwiched class, most pai tang one...

one time during reservist, we even hinted until the PC also came to help wash... power right?

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

For company line it all depend on the csm! Big ball or small ball...

FYI, washing bay is open for 24 hours.

The best slot are those immediately after returning to camp. Those slots are always reserved for those cb cho bolang HQ kia.😬.

If you gotten the night slots which happened to me most of the time...after camp you shower / clean up smell nice nice and than 1am putting on that stinky muddy dirty boot and nos 4 again.

I beg you will cure and swear.

oh yah, those kanna the later slots, is sian indeed. But strange, i don't recall got washing after 2359... tot DO will force all to lights off... 

only ever got clean arms in the wee hours, after come back from exercises. other things i tot all must lock up and next day then do...

you just reminded me why the company line people all dun like HQ pple 🤣

but you said you ambulance, not HQ also meh? I tot you HQ also, that's why said you overall should be good life one mah...

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

i was vehicle commander hor, not right to push to driver alone lah. Besides, all in the same bunk, better be zhi dong lah... and we are NCOs niah, not platoon, company, battalion or brigade commanders leh 😂 

NCOs are the sandwiched class, most pai tang one...

one time during reservist, we even hinted until the PC also came to help wash... power right?

You are power la, even PC also came to wash vehicle! Confirmed and chopped i never see this happen in my NS life, from NSF to ICT. You are asking an officer to wash vehicle? Think sun will set in the east. Lol. Vehicle commander common la, cause when go out field training, sure must have a VC sit infront of the vehicle, but doesnt mean this VC needs to help out in washing the vehicle, cause this is not what i seen in my unit. You are doing more than what a commander should do. Lol.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Davidklt said:

wah simi course is that? you also SCE? 30 or 35?

the worst period i went through in term of (lack of) sleep, was during a landmine warfare fieldcamp while on course at SOCE. Sun night booked in early to draw and load store onto tonners. That night had decent sleep. Mon was start of the LMWF camp, and it would last till Fri, then ex cut and go back camp. Mon to Thur, 4 nights added up, we had less than 10 hours of sleep. Cos the ex area was in Tuas end (I think now become industrial land), and every night past midnight, then packed up and go back camp, after which must clean arms. by the time return arms and bath and sleep, would be like 3+ am. Then by 5 am, must go breakfast, draw arms and move out liao...

only until Fri night, then had proper sleep again...

One other noteworthy point:

In SCE, estab SOP was that we could sleep on the M113 ramp during largeer (dunno what's the correct spelling, but it's the armour equivalent of harbour or rest). In the first exercise that we participated in after we were posted to SAR, we did as per what we were taught in SCE. Then midnight, CO went around to inspect the various companies, and happened to walk past my vehicle. I was not on duty and was sound asleep. The CO saw my section pple sleeping on the ramp, then asked my men on duty, who is the commander. My man woke me up (I was sleeping on top of the vehicle) and i blur blur came down, didn't know what's happening as it was pitch dark... Wah, the bloody CO pulled my collar and asked me why did i allow my men to sleep on the ramp!!! He then asked the BSO to take down my name... Wah... at that moment i balls shrink... 

heng my PC told me back in camp, when the CO wanted to tekan me, my PC spoke out for me and explained that SCE indeed taught us can do that, and since we were new to SAR, didn't know SAR estab SOP is all troops must go outside of vehicle and lay white tape when sleeping... TMD, because SCE and SAR got different teachings and SOP, no reason to come and nail me mah... So i was let off...

• Praise 2

46 minutes ago, 13177 said:

You are power la, even PC also came to wash vehicle! Confirmed and chopped i never see this happen in my NS life, from NSF to ICT. You are asking an officer to wash vehicle? Think sun will set in the east. Lol. Vehicle commander common la, cause when go out field training, sure must have a VC sit infront of the vehicle, but doesnt mean this VC needs to help out in washing the vehicle, cause this is not what i seen in my unit. You are doing more than what a commander should do. Lol.

Solly... we all... power to the people... 

somemore in reservist, the whole lot stayed together, except the PC. Later posted in one PC younger than us, and not the si bey dao type. He was very new, so depended a lot on us to get things going, so also dun dare to throw his weight around. The rest of us were together from NS to reservist, all just wan get things done then go rest. Active days early on then got tekan the men before, esp when they were new (we were a year older) and blur. Later on never tekan lah. Really led by example, do everything together hor... The the men also automatic... in Wallaby, we ask the men to take turn take over vehicle commander during those super long drives, so that the NCOs can take turn go behind and koon 😂

So when wanted to get PC down, just needed to tell him that it's good to lead by example (cos we were doing that already), then he also paiseh if dun turn up...

I tot most if not reservist worked this way leh. How come reservist liao, still got pull rank and dun do work meh? If like this, the men go on strike, then all will mati no need book out...

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

oh yah, those kanna the later slots, is sian indeed. But strange, i don't recall got washing after 2359... tot DO will force all to lights off... 

only ever got clean arms in the wee hours, after come back from exercises. other things i tot all must lock up and next day then do...

you just reminded me why the company line people all dun like HQ pple 🤣

but you said you ambulance, not HQ also meh? I tot you HQ also, that's why said you overall should be good life one mah...

Platoon medic follow platoon line.

Company medic follow company line. 

HQ medic follow battalion HQ. 

Given a choice I would opted to be a platoon medic instead of company medic.

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Solly... we all... power to the people... 

somemore in reservist, the whole lot stayed together, except the PC. Later posted in one PC younger than us, and not the si bey dao type. He was very new, so depended a lot on us to get things going, so also dun dare to throw his weight around. The rest of us were together from NS to reservist, all just wan get things done then go rest. Active days early on then got tekan the men before, esp when they were new (we were a year older) and blur. Later on never tekan lah. Really led by example, do everything together hor... The the men also automatic... in Wallaby, we ask the men to take turn take over vehicle commander during those super long drives, so that the NCOs can take turn go behind and koon 😂

So when wanted to get PC down, just needed to tell him that it's good to lead by example (cos we were doing that already), then he also paiseh if dun turn up...

I tot most if not reservist worked this way leh. How come reservist liao, still got pull rank and dun do work meh? If like this, the men go on strike, then all will mati no need book out...

Some people like to throw their weight around, even in working lo, esp officer level. Lol. I worked in one company before, there was this young guy just out from uni and joined this company as a supervisor, was an army officer, he treated the workplace like in army le, and talked and command his subordinate like in army. Resulted this guy was not popular in the company cause no one like him. Lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2