National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

22 minutes ago, Beregond said:

but woman career will stall or even end once they get pregnant. how to be fair

this ms lim got kids?

True, some change job or not keen for higher position to focus on educating children. 

Rhetorical question right? 

Because I don't know her😅

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
43 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Not too sure. 

But is a shortened version of BMT etc.. 

Still carry real SAR21 though. 

dun matter carry m16 or sar. if never sleep in shell scrape or dig trench, if never outfield for 2 weeks exercise then best is dun brag too much about vc

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

32 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

dun matter carry m16 or sar. if never sleep in shell scrape or dig trench, if never outfield for 2 weeks exercise then best is dun brag too much about vc

Digging was never the most xiong for me

topoing with full battle order. Carrying all the equipment. Walking and bashing for about 2 hrs already in the hills and jungle.

Then U turn. Knn OC horlan. 🤮

• Haha! 4

30 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

True...True... that was our NS time... 

Not pertaining to VC. 

But to current NS....later these youngsters say " they've never done CQB life firing... got less bragging rights." 🤣🤣

I didn't want to do the CQB live firing during my last reservice. 

Was supposedly the 1st and last chance... So I really skipped the bragging rights. 😅

Turbocharged
30 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Digging was never the most xiong for me

topoing with full battle order. Carrying all the equipment. Walking and bashing for about 2 hrs already in the hills and jungle.

Then U turn. Knn OC horlan. 🤮

true true.. but the idea of vc is just stay in sg. no run around. i dun expect them to topo and carry barangx2

at least do medic, fibua, and dug in defence

• Praise 1

Twincharged
19 hours ago, Atonchia said:

True...True... that was our NS time... 

Not pertaining to VC. 

But to current NS....later these youngsters say " they've never done CQB life firing... got less bragging rights." 🤣🤣

I didn't want to do the CQB live firing during my last reservice. 

Was supposedly the 1st and last chance... So I really skipped the bragging rights. 😅

Wat??!!

ICT do cqb live fire ??

Commando?

Can't imagine regular infantry doing that,  the risk factor will be high. 

(edited)
59 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Wat??!!

ICT do cqb live fire ??

Commando?

Can't imagine regular infantry doing that,  the risk factor will be high. 

It's Infantry. 

CQB is done safely at the current indoor shooting range. 

All recorded and live.

I was sitting at the waiting area watching the rest from Company/Platoon doing their CQB drills and live shooting. 

Edited by Atonchia

Twincharged

The recent resurface issue of recruiting our women folks into National Service.

I think before we go on any further we need to have some fundamental issue settled.

Singapore does not only belong to the Men in Singapore but to everyone so it is everyone's responsibility to contribute to Nation Building or Preservation.

Should for any freak incident that all Singapore Men gets wiped out, it will be left to the women folks to protect Singapore.

As the name implies, National Service, it is service to the Nation and it does not limit to any gender even it (dogs and even dolphins in some countries).

Why after 50 odd years we still running around like a lost chicken without a convincing National Identity. Partly because we are mixed bag (rojak) of race from different ancestral homeland. But what makes it difficult is to an extend our policies keeps this separation clear whether paranoia or reality of life, eg HDB quota, designated President and etc, and now with a large influx of new citizens. Why the need to make 2nd generation male citizen do NS? Is it to inculcate a National Identity and patriotism? So the logic goes why can't our women folks serve National Service in any form. The consequences may result in our local woman folks not marrying foreigners. In this case, our local boys would huat ah.

Gender equality with the inclusion of women folks in National Service may speed up the process of us having a female PM.

The bottom line, difficult to convince, difficult to implement, may affect the decision for taking up citizenship by foreigners, it will not happen anytime soon as it would be political suicide for any political party.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
54 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

It's Infantry. 

CQB is done safely at the current indoor shooting range. 

All recorded and live.

I was sitting at the waiting area watching the rest from Company/Platoon doing their CQB drills and live shooting. 

Iive as in live ammunition?

1 hour ago, Ash2017 said:

I think before we go on any further we need to have some fundamental issue settled.

Singapore does not only belong to the Men in Singapore but to everyone so it is everyone's responsibility to contribute to Nation Building or Preservation.

Should for any freak incident that all Singapore Men gets wiped out, it will be left to the women folks to protect Singapore.

As the name implies, National Service, it is service to the Nation and it does not limit to any gender even it (dogs and even dolphins in some countries).

Why after 50 odd years we still running around like a lost chicken without a convincing National Identity. Partly because we are mixed bag (rojak) of race from different ancestral homeland. But what makes it difficult is to an extend our policies keeps this separation clear whether paranoia or reality of life, eg HDB quota, designated President and etc, and now with a large influx of new citizens. Why the need to make 2nd generation male citizen do NS? Is it to inculcate a National Identity and patriotism? So the logic goes why can't our women folks serve National Service in any form. The consequences may result in our local woman folks not marrying foreigners. In this case, our local boys would huat ah.

Gender equality with the inclusion of women folks in National Service may speed up the process of us having a female PM.

The bottom line, difficult to convince, difficult to implement, may affect the decision for taking up citizenship by foreigners, it will not happen anytime soon as it would be political suicide for any political party.

I will support both gender for NS if the pool becomes too low to sustain the defence. 

Not because some woman rights think NS is creating toxic mentality for men. 

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

they dont have to do it (put females in ns). but demographics will force them.

30k babies a year and dropping. assume 15k recruits each year. how many pes A/B and how many fill out the orbat.

you can only go so low as a 7 men section. 

we managed to squeeze out 6 months less and reduce 13 year cycle to 10 year cycle. but you know what the price being paid.

does ns actually serve to give males an identity? i think not. if our life experience is to bond over standby bed and mozzies in our teens when we grow older, we are well and truly f*cked.

geopolitics wise, is boots on the ground still a suitable doctrine? new theaters of competition has emerged. its very obvious every ministry is working in a silo. 

does ns for females speed up having a female pm? i dont think i would bother with that aspect. does it result in them not marrying foreigners? i think other social-economic factors contribute more to that with or without them doing ns. so no.

there are better ways to skin a cat and having a bigger saf isnt. compare us to gaza strip. we are not much bigger in land size. does making every gaza palestinian carry a rifle gonna be effective or seeking a diplomatic solution with powerful "friends" get you more mileage?

• Praise 2

if no NS

than no SAF

than Malaysia will cut water and trample over us

Bahasa melayu will be our mother tongue.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
17 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

if no NS

than no SAF

than Malaysia will cut water and trample over us

Bahasa melayu will be our mother tongue.

dont think so one dimensionally based on saf narrative.

look at the water agreements. https://www.mfa.gov.sg/SINGAPORES-FOREIGN-POLICY/Key-Issues/Water-Agreements

we treat the water and sell back to jb. jb cut the water we supply what back to them? they need us to treat the water for them. the treaty themselves are the basis for the separation agreement. true we cannot wait for the water to be cut before we do something. there must be a big stick before you sit down and talk. but malaysia did give us the water treaties in 1961/62 when we did not have saf.

all the water infrastructure sg paid for and built. but after 2061 then what? we dont agree on a new treaty then we can disband saf is it? after all the saf raison d'etre is not just for the water treaty.

there will be benefits for both sides. it is just a matter of price for the water market. look at how much our water bill is compared to how much we price the water sold to jb. 

there is so much profit in there, you'd think sg people are so stupid and jb is so greedy to fight over this?

(edited)
4 hours ago, Atonchia said:

I will support both gender for NS if the pool becomes too low to sustain the defence

Only Defence?....It was first instituted in 1967 to help build Singapore's military forces soon after its independence, and has since been expanded to involve the police and civil defence force as well.  More women working in law enforcement... why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_service_in_Singapore

Edited by Odyssey2011

(edited)
1 hour ago, Nolicense said:

dont think so one dimensionally based on saf narrative.

look at the water agreements. https://www.mfa.gov.sg/SINGAPORES-FOREIGN-POLICY/Key-Issues/Water-Agreements

we treat the water and sell back to jb. jb cut the water we supply what back to them? they need us to treat the water for them. the treaty themselves are the basis for the separation agreement. true we cannot wait for the water to be cut before we do something. there must be a big stick before you sit down and talk. but malaysia did give us the water treaties in 1961/62 when we did not have saf.

all the water infrastructure sg paid for and built. but after 2061 then what? we dont agree on a new treaty then we can disband saf is it? after all the saf raison d'etre is not just for the water treaty.

there will be benefits for both sides. it is just a matter of price for the water market. look at how much our water bill is compared to how much we price the water sold to jb. 

there is so much profit in there, you'd think sg people are so stupid and jb is so greedy to fight over this?

Hard Truths from Lee Kuan Yew

"Now, are we not vulnerable? If we are not vulnerable, why do we spend 5 to 6 per cent of GDP year after year on defence? Are we mad? This is a frugal government, you know that well.

We are not vulnerable? They can besiege you. You'll be dead. Your sea lanes are cut off and your business comes to a halt. What is our reply? Security Council, plus defence capabilities of our own, plus the Security Framework Agreement with the Americans.

They (Malaysia) stopped sand. Why? To conscribe us. As Mahathir says, 'Even at their present size they are trouble, you let them grow some more they will be more trouble.' We've got friendly neighbours? Grow up."

Edited by Odyssey2011
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3