National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

Twincharged
On 5/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, Vid said:

I don't think women should do NS. At the same time, I don't think women should compare child-bearing as national service either. To have children or not is a personal/family choice.

Stop fighting for equality too (yes, I'm referring to AWARE). The more "equal" people are fighting for, the less "equal" things will become. Everybody has a place in society.

but Israeli women look good in uniform.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Nolicense said:

dont think so one dimensionally based on saf narrative.

look at the water agreements. https://www.mfa.gov.sg/SINGAPORES-FOREIGN-POLICY/Key-Issues/Water-Agreements

we treat the water and sell back to jb. jb cut the water we supply what back to them? they need us to treat the water for them. the treaty themselves are the basis for the separation agreement. true we cannot wait for the water to be cut before we do something. there must be a big stick before you sit down and talk. but malaysia did give us the water treaties in 1961/62 when we did not have saf.

all the water infrastructure sg paid for and built. but after 2061 then what? we dont agree on a new treaty then we can disband saf is it? after all the saf raison d'etre is not just for the water treaty.

there will be benefits for both sides. it is just a matter of price for the water market. look at how much our water bill is compared to how much we price the water sold to jb. 

there is so much profit in there, you'd think sg people are so stupid and jb is so greedy to fight over this?

in 1965 they kick us out because they were 100% sure we cant survive on our own

and eventually will crawl back like a dog and beg them to take us in under their terms.

and this is why for the next 50 years LKY worries about Singapore day and night.

never in their wildest dreams that Singapore became first world country and wealthier than them.

behind their smiling faces hide a Kris.

Edited by Ho2786
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Odyssey2011 said:

Hard Truths from Lee Kuan Yew

"Now, are we not vulnerable? If we are not vulnerable, why do we spend 5 to 6 per cent of GDP year after year on defence? Are we mad? This is a frugal government, you know that well.

We are not vulnerable? They can besiege you. You'll be dead. Your sea lanes are cut off and your business comes to a halt. What is our reply? Security Council, plus defence capabilities of our own, plus the Security Framework Agreement with the Americans.

They (Malaysia) stopped sand. Why? To conscribe us. As Mahathir says, 'Even at their present size they are trouble, you let them grow some more they will be more trouble.' We've got friendly neighbours? Grow up."

never said we got friendly neighbors. ultimately they will grow bigger than sg. that day will come. dont live in a dream the americans will help sg. they got their own interests. 

if saf is the answer to everything, then like a nail, every solution is a hammer. so we spend 12%? 24% gdp on defence? its better to have more friends than enemies

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

never said we got friendly neighbors. ultimately they will grow bigger than sg. that day will come. dont live in a dream the americans will help sg. they got their own interests. 

if saf is the answer to everything, then like a nail, every solution is a hammer. so we spend 12%? 24% gdp on defence? its better to have more friends than enemies

Nations Do Not Have Permanent Friends or Enemies, Only Interests...

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Ender said:

Even if the women go NS, it will be a modified version. Won't be the same.

Modified till time and resource wasting. And of course lots of votes would be lost along the way. 

Just examine if the VC actually contributing effectively, or tasks invented to cater to them? Any VC here to comment? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Ho2786 said:

in 1965 they kick us out because they were 100% sure we cant survive on our own

and eventually will crawl back like a dog and beg them to take us in under their terms.

and this is why for the next 50 years LKY worries about Singapore day and night.

never in their wildest dreams that Singapore became first world country and wealthier than them.

behind their smiling faces hide a Kris.

sg had always had a strong position as a port. but most of the economy was based on british army spending for the local jobs.

malaya needed to send their exports thru sg. which is why they have tried to capture the port traffic from sg for a long time.

but the main problem was to provide jobs for the local populace. without that there would be unrest and instability.

which is why the first thing we did was to get fdi to get jobs for the populace.

things have changed. low value manufacturing jobs are too low value add to survive in sg. what we used to do, now others do better and cheaper.

now they talk about the knowledge economy. lets hope we leave no one behind.

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Odyssey2011 said:

Nations Do Not Have Permanent Friends or Enemies, Only Interests...

that is correct. so the more interests they share with sg, the better

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Odyssey2011 said:

Only Defence?....It was first instituted in 1967 to help build Singapore's military forces soon after its independence, and has since been expanded to involve the police and civil defence force as well.  More women working in law enforcement... why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_service_in_Singapore

Defence, I meant total defence. 

Current NS also distribute all manpower to all the required military defence, civil defence, homeland defence. 

Social and Economic defence are other sectors... 

So if need to enlist women, then the deployment can be to any of these defence because we need the conscript to support these forces. 

Not because the twisted idealogy of the Ms Corrina Lim. 

However if we can build a stronger professional /regular force, then the conscript numbers might not be required to increase. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

.....the more interests they share with sg, the better

Interesting concept of self-defense... a world without wars and violence, a great place..... 

Stephen Hawking: Humankind is still greedy, stupid.... He maybe correct too. 

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

but Israeli women look good in uniform.

they look good without uniform too.. wanna see? 🤪

Turbocharged
4 hours ago, Odyssey2011 said:

Only Defence?....It was first instituted in 1967 to help build Singapore's military forces soon after its independence, and has since been expanded to involve the police and civil defence force as well.  More women working in law enforcement... why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_service_in_Singapore

i cant wait for a female mobile squad to stop me and issue me a ticket with lip stick on it.. steam...

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 5/26/2021 at 9:59 PM, Nolicense said:

i cant wait for a female mobile squad to stop me and issue me a ticket with lip stick on it.. steam...

187160517_10224227088681478_523812624658186508592_5589181304489213_8715997144194

Swee bo? :grin:

• Haha! 4

Revive this thread for quick question and reference...anyone has recently done it online with cmpb.gov.sg? My son is due for NS registration but need to defer for his further studies next year...my question is if he needs to furnish the medical report on his medical problem during this round of registration?

TIA

IMG_20220904_121103_edit_266245678518227.jpg

23 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Revive this thread for quick question and reference...anyone has recently done it online with cmpb.gov.sg? My son is due for NS registration but need to defer for his further studies next year...my question is if he needs to furnish the medical report on his medical problem during this round of registration?

TIA

IMG_20220904_121103_edit_266245678518227.jpg

Maybe you can try page for @Carbon82..

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Maybe you can try page for @Carbon82..

I spent nearly an hour last night going through the portal but no firm info on the first step of registration in terms of medical report. Shall see what it shows when my son log in with his Sing Pass later. 

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I spent nearly an hour last night going through the portal but no firm info on the first step of registration in terms of medical report. Shall see what it shows when my son log in with his Sing Pass later. 

My son did the deferment himself with his singpass, quite straight forward he said, as Mindef has all his details, including which institution and what course all listed.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5