National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

Turbocharged

if ho ching is head of army, she will buy equipment and weapons at very high prices (from her "buy high, sell low" pattern)

if saw is head of army, she will lease out extra spaces in camps to earn revenue... might even use cable ties for thosee failing equipment

[laugh]

Area A to E may have all the fast food outlets too!!!! Imagine our tanks and APC have drive thru lanes to orders their meals. That's what I call world class army!!!! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I do not not why some of you guys resent so much about NS. At the very beginning of my NS, I told myself, since I am going to spend 2.5 years in NS, might as well make full use of the time. A large part is waste of time, which I agree, but but there are some stuff that is useful later in live that was taught in NS. You can only learn something if you keep an open mind.

But one big thing I learn is to be much more appreciate of civilian life. When I was out in the hot tropical heat in Thailand just last year ( & I cannot stand hot weather), beaten by mosquitoes every night, & clothes so dirty & smelly, & rashes, abrasion all over the body. I did not hope for a new BMW, dinning in high class restaurant, or having a date with Megan Fox, but I thought to myself, " A nice hot shower, & siting on a bench with an ice cold coke, & that will be heaven."

kawan

really, you dont need NS to teach you all these

if that is the case, the rest of world who do not do NS are then in deep s h i t

This is a classic case of self centredness and over protection of kids of a Singaporean reaching an all time high.

I find it hard to fathom that someone can suggest relaxing the issue of national security so that their kids "can have a better future".

I served my 2 years 4 month and did not feel short changed. I am sure many others that went through the same route the last 45 years felt the same too.I have seen many people that succeed in their lives and they served NS too.

I think you should migrate.

Only if one have an open mind, then they can learn. Like I though I am only capable of this much, but training & discipline, & heart, I can far exceed what I think I am capable of.

I remember this classic example, when I was in BMT, & taking the SOC trail test (you need to pass the trial test in order to take the actual one).

& so I ran, but fail by one sec! During the debrief, the OC look though the timing & shout "1 sec. Who is this fellow, stand up!"

One spec even look at me, & do a squeeze ball action.

I think everyone in my company knew me by then, if they haven't already. OC then said he will give me chance to take the actual test, but did die must pass.

So on test day, all my platoon mates & Spec & office all shout to encourage "the one sec guy", every moment I thought of slacking a bit, I thought of the one sec that could cost me, & pushed on. In the end, I ran 9:45 (from 10:31). Not a world record by any means, but a 45sec reduction in SOC timing. Anyone that have taken a full SOC course knows how difficult to improve by this amount of time in 3 days (between the trail test & test day).

Every time I face with near impossible task & timing, I always will recall this & some other events in NS. I will told myself, I have face with harsher condition & make it, I am not gonna fail now. I just need to want to succeed hard enough.

But then again, if one is slacker, & only thinking of report sick, attc C & siam work, then of course cannot learn anything.

Only if one have an open mind, then they can learn. Like I though I am only capable of this much, but training & discipline, & heart, I can far exceed what I think I am capable of.

I remember this classic example, when I was in BMT, & taking the SOC trail test (you need to pass the trial test in order to take the actual one).

& so I ran, but fail by one sec! During the debrief, the OC look though the timing & shout "1 sec. Who is this fellow, stand up!"

One spec even look at me, & do a squeeze ball action.

I think everyone in my company knew me by then, if they haven't already. OC then said he will give me chance to take the actual test, but did die must pass.

So on test day, all my platoon mates & Spec & office all shout to encourage "the one sec guy", every moment I thought of slacking a bit, I thought of the one sec that could cost me, & pushed on. In the end, I ran 9:45 (from 10:31). Not a world record by any means, but a 45sec reduction in SOC timing. Anyone that have taken a full SOC course knows how difficult to improve by this amount of time in 3 days (between the trail test & test day).

Every time I face with near impossible task & timing, I always will recall this & some other events in NS. I will told myself, I have face with harsher condition & make it, I am not gonna fail now. I just need to want to succeed hard enough.

But then again, if one is slacker, & only thinking of report sick, attc C & siam work, then of course cannot learn anything.

To be frank, I think some things are just inherent to one's character. You probably didn't need NS to "learn" this. If not, NS, some other formative experience in your early work or higher education would've taught you the same thing. And, in contrast, the slacker who doesn't want to learn anything from NS wouldn't have learned anything at work either.

And, to those who insist NS builds character, many claim that a stint in prison also builds character, but who really wants to go to prison if he has a choice?

Edited by Turboflat4

To be frank, I think some things are just inherent to one's character. You probably didn't need NS to "learn" this. If not, NS, some other formative experience in your early work or higher education would've taught you the same thing. And, in contrast, the slacker who doesn't want to learn anything from NS wouldn't have learned anything at work either.

And, to those who insist NS builds character, many claim that a stint in prison also builds character, but who really wants to go to prison if he has a choice?

Your last sentence reminded me of something during my NS.

I was with my PC queueing for food at the cookhouse. During those days, cookhouses are still manned by our own cooks, whom some of them look quite dodgy and scary to be honest with their 'battle scars' and tattoos.

Then there was this very fit and well built cook serving our plate. Then my PC tried to strike a conversation by saying: "Wah. You very fit ah? You always go gym and train ah?"

Cook: "No Sir"

PC: "Then how you train?"

Cook: "Go DB lor..."

PC: ...

So not only NS/Prison builds character... can build good body also [laugh]

one thing for sure! ever wondered why there are no protest or strikes in sg! the answer lies in ns....where we are collectively punished for another's wrongdoing, where we are systematically trained to follow orders where the officers are always correct. if u do not think so....well i can only say the gov has really done a good job! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Agree it's the character and not NS. I'm a storeman and I met lots of useless ah bengs who keng at everything. There are very good ah bengs but very rare. None of my friends are different, lazy ones will still be lazy.

I rather not do NS, that 2 years 4 months is very precious to me. Rather use the time to get real life experience in work. It's not a good feeling to see my seniors younger than me because they are FT and no reservist/IPPT to worry. Companies value work experience more than NS.

Edited by Pchmj

I'm guessing you are a woman or foreigner. Either way, if 2 years NS is so good, we should make it compulsory for women and new citizens of any age, unless you are suggesting that Singaporean men are somehow inferior and needs NS to do the "transformation".

What's make you think I'm woman or a foreigner? Put it straight..I'm one with a dick and served my time as a bloody NS guy and then as a regular .....ORDed for 15 years and completed my cycle....now above 40 years old and considered to be no more in the NS population.....It is now my guess that you are a woman or foreigner as you won't agree NS do transform a boy to a man...indeed....many foreigner I know don't agree to that too...they do said that they are man enough...no need NS to do that...anyway, it is my opinion...if you feel otherwise...that's your opinion.....

Read again. He/She said Singaporean males are "guniang" if they don't serve NS.

Switzerland is a neutral nation and shares a border with Germany, and it is within a stone's throw from the Iron Curtain when it was still up. Which neighbours of Singapore is comparable to Germany or the Soviet bloc? Not to mention, Singapore is not a neutral nation. Go take a look at satellite photos of Changi Naval Base on Google Maps and tell me you cannot see an aircraft carrier.

Oh, and why is 2 years NS sufficient? I served a full 30 months. If you really think Singapore will fail without NS, why is 24 months sufficient? Why not serve 3 full years like the Israelis, and conscript both men and women? Why is it the status quo is always Goldilocks perfect?

Anyway, like I said, I am not adamant about cutting NS. Just make it fair. Raise the salary and ban disruptions. Conscript the women too. And the changes I advocate for will spontaneously happen. As soon as the elites have to bear the cost, the changes will happen.

You read carefully...since when I said males are guniang if they don't serve NS?.I'm saying from boy to man...boy is a guniang?

I support the 2 years for a boy transformation to a really man....won't want my son to be a half pass six, half grown man....

Unquote

LoverofCar thinks his/her son will only be a half grown man without 2 years of NS. Doesnt that sounds like he/she thinks his/her son is guniang without NS? Would a Singaporean man think like that? I sincerely hope not.

Do *you* think that without NS, you yourself will only be a half pass six half grown man? If you do, I can only express sympathies for you as well.

It is no surprise Singaporeans are overran by foreigners. We Singaporeans are a self-loathing lot. When you look down on yourself, don't expect foreigners to respect you. 2 years or 20 years of NS wont make you any more or less a man that you already are.

Half grown man indicate guniang?....I define a man as someone that can make decision independently, able to take responsibility, able to take hardship...love his family and country at all time, know how to protect the people around him if needed....and NS do in a way....make me a better man....that's what I mean transforming from boy to man....perhaps you were thinking that what I mean is that NS can make my dido grow longer...and make me more man......sorry if that is what you were thinking....btw....in case you are a foreigner..half pass six mean..."not up to the mark"......also nothing to do with dido.... [cool]

Edited by LoverofCar

Half grown man indicate guniang?....I define a man as someone that can make decision independently, able to take responsibility, able to take hardship...love his family and country at all time, know how to protect the people around him if needed....and NS do in a way....make me a better man....that's what I mean transforming from boy to man....perhaps you were thinking that what I mean is that NS can make my dido grow longer...and make me more man......sorry if that is what you were thinking....btw....in case you are a foreigner..half pass six mean..."not up to the mark"......also nothing to do with dido.... [cool]

are you describing some MPs

There is no reason to worry about proximity to our northern neighbours because Singapore, at least on paper, has a superior air force and navy, as well as longer range artillery, including the "rain of steel" HIMARS that we just acquired. Any piece of land that can fire a shot at Singapore, will be blown to stone age. There is no need to question Singapore's survivability in a quick hot war.

The problem is with a prolonged cold war. Malaysia and Indonesia can impose an air and sea blockade and starve Singapore to death long before a single shot is fired. Or more easily, just withdraw their nationals. Believe me, Singapore will cease to function if every single Malaysian and Indonesian citizen leave.

For starters, SMRT wont have a CEO. In fact, it seems much of SMRT's senior management are PRs.

And let's say we break the blockade by invading them. What's next? 8 years of Iraq style occupation? What will be left of the Singapore economy after such a war?

There is no question Singapore has threats. But being the glass house that Singapore is, if anybody starts throwing stones, we would have lost already. Doesnt matter if we stockpiled more stones than anyone else.

I agree deterrence is important, and we have invested well with the hardware. But does it really that much whether Singapore conscripts gets 2 full years of training or not?

In a real war time, how do soldiers get to their reporting centres? By taking the MRT? Or SBS Bus driven by PRC nationals?

have you forgotten your route marches? ever wonder why it's 40km? Gets almost anyone to their camp.

Ok la, I'm kidding, even if it does turn out to be true [:p]

This is a classic case of self centredness and over protection of kids of a Singaporean reaching an all time high.

I find it hard to fathom that someone can suggest relaxing the issue of national security so that their kids "can have a better future".

I served my 2 years 4 month and did not feel short changed. I am sure many others that went through the same route the last 45 years felt the same too.I have seen many people that succeed in their lives and they served NS too.

I think you should migrate.

despite having crossed swords (metaphorically) and knowing where you come from (same place as Zanter and "David", surely), I agree with you.

Those who wanna stay, just suck it up. Maybe vote for the party who is more likely to try to change things the way you want it to be. Don't stay and make a huge fuss.

Either not have kids, or migrate (or both).

I'm aiming to do both. Don't wanna waste my time trying to change things around here, or settle for second best. [rolleyes]

I think the point is, most forms of life experience build character. But there's always a price to pay. To those who benefit from NS, good for them lor.

If you can siam, siam. If not, make the best of it. And think hard whether you want your offspring (if applicable) to go through the same thing.

It's all about pros and cons, really.

It's a democracy. 60% have made their choice.

You don't expect them to honor the minority's choice, do you?

Those who vote for Tony Tan, either don't believe that his sons siammed NS, or they endorse such actions. Ok lah, maybe they didn't even know why they voted for Tony Tan. But it's still by popular vote.

Get over it!

I did not mention any MPs in my post.....if you want to link it...you are free to do so....is FOC...afterall......people can even think that I'm a woman or foreigner ..just because I support 2 years NS....is all left to imagination..... [laugh] ...btw...I'm part of the 40% ....party support has nothing to do with that... ..... [laugh]

Edited by LoverofCar

It's a democracy. 60% have made their choice.

You don't expect them to honor the minority's choice, do you?

Those who vote for Tony Tan, either don't believe that his sons siammed NS, or they endorse such actions. Ok lah, maybe they didn't even know why they voted for Tony Tan. But it's still by popular vote.

Get over it!

believe me

i trying to get over it

but just another example

i dont really know what our previous Health minister doing

for the past 10 years there were no addition hospital bed

so what the hell was he planning

more cemetery or columbarium

they want productivity and efficiency and cost-effectiveness

so they want to ensure that all beds are full all the time

like hotel occupancy

how can this be