Have service standards at petrol stations declined?

Davedesouza

how much are you paying for your petrol? does what you pay come with a 10% service charge?

if you are not paying for service charge then what type of service are you expecting?

why not expect free petrol too while you are at it?

↡ Advertisement

I'm all for self-service lanes for cheaper petrol...

In future, we may have self service petrol stations, but I won't hold my breath to expect it will be cheaper.

Did things become cheaper when we use cheap FWs?

Anyway, pumping your own fuel is common in many countries, just like its common to see women drive manual cars & do parallel parking.

I like it in England, that they provide you with plastic glove, so after pumping, just remove the glove & throw into the bin. No dirty hands.

But there is one thing Singapore petrol stations are good. 24/7 open. I know my local Supermarket Petrol station when I was in England close at around 8pm at night. Earlier on Sunday.

All these despite their fat profits!!! But there are still service oriented stations, just very few...

They have fat profits mainly they are the boss.

If that MIW do anything stupid, they move out, how many will lose their jobs.

Everything correlates to fuel. It is a vicious cycle...

All the while, I thought the attendant primary role was just to assist customers to pump petrol/diesel, point 1 & 3 were done by goodwill of the attendants. I did not know they must do that to all their customers proactively.

IMO, nope, just that drivers nowadays expect to be treated like a king.... [laugh]

btw, SPC @ punggol is [thumbsup] ...

yup....i always pump at SPC @ Punggol......everytime the pump attendant pump for me, tell me the pump number as well as ask me whether want to clean windscreen or not.....

yup....i always pump at SPC @ Punggol......everytime the pump attendant pump for me, tell me the pump number as well as ask me whether want to clean windscreen or not.....

Ask you whether want to clean windscreen means he wants $2 from you. :D

i think we are very pampered and raising expectations on others to serve us.

While waiting for the fuel to fill up, cleaning the windscreen or pumping the typres is not a big problem. As a few forumers have pointed out, it's DIY in many other countries and people in nice suits do not mind it at all.

i know some of our petrol stations are outsource-managed by private parties.

rental they are paying is abt maybe 30k-60k per month.

hence their main is to sell fuel which make abt 50%.

SPC TINK ALL MANAGED by parent co.

hence better service.

its the outsource management bad [laugh]

All the while, I thought the attendant primary role was just to assist customers to pump petrol/diesel, point 1 & 3 were done by goodwill of the attendants. I did not know they must do that to all their customers proactively.

yes, let me share two incidents several months ago at shell siglap:

an abled bodied man in his 40s-50s driving a RX300 was at the air pump and sounding his horn incessantly

why?

because he wanted the attendant to "assist" him in pumping air.

they were busy because all the 8 pumps were full, but this guy just kept honking.

and when someone finally came, he gave his blackest face ever to that guy. and no tip, because according to him, a "very poor service".

best part, when the attendant asked him how much pressure, that man said "i don't know! you guys should know!"

the other, a woman in her 30s-40s driving a colt turbo was at the fuel pump looking lost and also sounding her horn to attract attention.

why?

because she doesn't know HOW to activate and use the pump. but it was lunchtime and some attendants were away.

and after it was done, in the same manner, needing "assistance" on pumping air, honking again.

but she gave a $2 tip to the attendant (who was a different person).

if we were to remove the attendants, there will be a lot of lost souls at the stations.

Edited by Flykite

an abled bodied man in his 40s-50s driving a RX300 was at the air pump and sounding his horn incessantly

why?

they were busy because all the 8 pumps were full, but this guy just kept honking.

and when someone finally came, he gave his blackest face ever to that guy. and no tip, because according to him, a "very poor service".

best part, when the attendant asked him how much pressure, that man said "i don't know! you guys should know!"

the other, a woman in her 30s-40s driving a colt turbo was at the fuel pump looking lost and also sounding her horn to attract attention.

why?

because she doesn't know HOW to activate and use the pump. but it was lunchtime and some attendants were away.

and after it was done, in the same manner, needing "assistance" on pumping air, honking again.

if we were to remove the attendants, there will be a lot of lost souls at the stations.

In the case of the Lexus driver, I think he needs to learn some manners.

Especially ESSO...smell of curry puff on shirt after paying at cashier!!!! [nosebleed]

U sure boh, always pump at JW St42 Esso/Mobil and also the one along cooperation road, the attendant there always greet us, help as clean windscreen and also help us pump... [:)]

i do everything myself.

from pumping the petrol to refilling the fluids.

however, most petrol stations i go to, do not allow me to clean my own windscreen. they must clean for me...

why?

why?

Colt tb - ask the lady to GO N FLY KITE.

Lexus - ask the man to GO N FLY AEROPLANE.

Few years ago at the 2nd link PETRONAS (inbound Spore)..

02 Ferlalee (Spore reg plates) arrvd simulteneously..n 01 was complaining loudly....

-Ferlalee also must selfservice ka??? [rifle]

Farking self centred Ferlalee owners [blush] (NO offence to other PRANCING HORSE owners - a BIG execptional for this particular idiot).

↡ Advertisement