How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Hi

Been contemplating getting a VW jetta but quite concerned about how serious the 7 speed DSG problem is. I would say its the only thing stopping me now. VW sales guy said its those ppl who mod (chip) the car. But what i heard from others is even not chipped also have problem. Every 1 or 2 month have to visit workshop. And their after sales is not fantastic either.

Anyone here can share?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi

Been contemplating getting a VW jetta but quite concerned about how serious the 7 speed DSG problem is. I would say its the only thing stopping me now. VW sales guy said its those ppl who mod (chip) the car. But what i heard from others is even not chipped also have problem. Every 1 or 2 month have to visit workshop. And their after sales is not fantastic either.

Anyone here can share?

There was some discussion here on DSG for the Passat CC...

Passat CC Thread

• Praise 1

Thanks.

Really like quite bad. How come still so many ppl buy VW?

Cos it's afterall an entry level conti with low road tax and FC, but still can out gun any 1.6/1.8 liter jap car. Am referring to the 1.4 rocs and golfs, and those are the ones with the said 7 speeder DSG.

• Praise 1

Thanks.

Really like quite bad. How come still so many ppl buy VW?

Marketing lor. LOL!

Those in the market for a used VW, avoid those cars from 2008-2010.

2011 I don't know, may be owners would like to report their problems todate.

Cos it's afterall an entry level conti with low road tax and FC, but still can out gun any 1.6/1.8 liter jap car. Am referring to the 1.4 rocs and golfs, and those are the ones with the said 7 speeder DSG.

Jetta also has the 7 speed DSG.

Actually dats the main reason why i m tempted to change to VW - the performance to price ratio is quite high. Although the interior quite sucks but how else to get 160/240 below $130k (latest price for jetta sport is $128k)? But why would ppl buy a car with (serious) reliability issue?

Those in the market for a used VW, avoid those cars from 2008-2010.

That would be the bulk of the cars i would be looking at. No point to buy a 2007 car - too old already. My own car now is a 2010. I wouldn't want to change to an older car since part of the intention to change to to pre-empt the expected rise in COE next year when quota is further reduced.

Jetta also has the 7 speed DSG.

Actually dats the main reason why i m tempted to change to VW - the performance to price ratio is quite high. Although the interior quite sucks but how else to get 160/240 below $130k (latest price for jetta sport is $128k)? But why would ppl buy a car with (serious) reliability issue?

Get a FD2R or WRX lor..I thought those are more bang for buck. But of course, with better reliability comes higher roadtax, insurance and FC.

Get a FD2R or WRX lor..I thought those are more bang for buck. But of course, with better reliability comes higher roadtax, insurance and FC.

Not suitable image for me.

I actually considered swapping my 1.6 Koup to 2.0 (6speed) koup. Choose same colour as current one, transfer my stuff over and my family won't realise i changed car!

Edited by Kar_lover

si lucaswh lol

those car like ur SSS attract more TP and LTA attention [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

I actually considered swapping my 1.6 Koup to 2.0 (6speed) koup. Choose same colour as current one, transfer my stuff over and my family won't realise i changed car!

Get a Skoda Octavia VRS or Superb 2.0T. You get essentially a VW, with a 20% discount and 6 Spd DSG + all the bells and whistles.

• Praise 1

Get a Skoda Octavia VRS or Superb 2.0T. You get essentially a VW, with a 20% discount and 6 Spd DSG + all the bells and whistles.

Like your monster? [sly]

si lucaswh lol

those car like ur SSS attract more TP and LTA attention [laugh][laugh]

I like leh.. I am Japanese car fanboy.

But recently drop by VW showroom look see..all the 1.4 models so tempting. Can be sleeper car, but reading all the reliability/aftersales issues make me apprehensive.

Bear u sure?

Skoda I thought is more expensive then VW

I like leh.. I am Japanese car fanboy.

But recently drop by VW showroom look see..all the 1.4 models so tempting. Can be sleeper car, but reading all the reliability/aftersales issues make me apprehensive.

u lich man loh,

koup to SSS now thinking of change car again ? wow

well coz u alway heard the bad thing,

those good things no one will voice out lol,

heard the 2nd services center will be up soon [laugh]

Hmm. I wouldn't do that..last time I felt my 1.6 Koup was let down by the weight of the car, I don't think the 2.0 will be any better in terms of performance, plus the resale of a 2.0 Koup isn't much higher than the 1.6.

I guess if you have the budget for VW, there are certainly many options you can consider out there. :wub:

↡ Advertisement