How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

well looking at the profit margin of the listed car , they have a very very very very very good buffer catered for the repairs

The irony is that the dealer will probably chiak the profit for himself and not likely to do any repairs on the car beyond cosmetic changes. 

On the other hand, if the dealer/private seller has a guilty conscience and sell way below market price to compensate the buyer for the potential repairs, nobody would dare view that car. It is like broadcasting out loud that car has a problem hence selling cheap. 

I knew of someone years ago who could not bring himself to sell his very problematic car (Hyundai Excel) to an unsuspecting innocent buyer. He scrapped the car instead, incurring financial loss...but walked away a much happier person.

Edited by Topspin
↡ Advertisement

Why do you say until like people don't keep their car stock?

Used ride, no idea. I have checked with VW and the car was not part of any recalls. Even if I assume the clutch pack was replaced just before I bought the car (unlikely, as it was juddering a bit from day 1) then it lasted a good 30k.

Anyway the judder is random and does not always happen, but always on-throttle + half-clutch engagement of gear 2. So I think once you learn not to jam on the gas as the car shifts from 1->2, it should not judder.

u read too much into what i said bro; there was no such implication. ironically, there are fair share of owners who did stage 1, 2 or whatever.

2 sets of tyre already 2.5k.

Alternator + Battery done at PML, 1k

That's ball park number off my head.

My total cost of driving BMW 520 (including maintenance) is about 40k over 4 yrs.  Where to find?

My advice to you is to stick to Jap or Korean. 

tyres r wear n tear is expected. 10k per year is smthg me n i believe, many new conti / would-be conti owners, wouldn't expect. u either really take care of ur ride beyond the norm or track / drive hard / super high mileage ur car to warrant such maintenance costs. for ur case, would it b "cheaper" to own new w warranty before u "released" to open market, as i don't think new cars / 1st owner cars will depreciate more, like what used car dealers used to quote, unless urs a hybrid or much higher end model.

u read too much into what i said bro; there was no such implication. ironically, there are fair share of owners who did stage 1, 2 or whatever.

LOL, ok... cos you say until maciam stock is not a norm. The car has plenty of power for what it is, I don't understand why people want to go and chip their cars and risk other issues, especially if the chips are from unknown manufacturers or unproven tuners.

2 sets of tyre already 2.5k.

Alternator + Battery done at PML, 1k

That's ball park number off my head.

My total cost of driving BMW 520 (including maintenance) is about 40k over 4 yrs.  Where to find?

My advice to you is to stick to Jap or Korean. 

How the fark u drive your car bro? How many kms you put into your car?

My F10 from day one until now tyre haven't botak. JUST only about to change it. @ 35K mileage. I'm still on stock 18". U confirm must be on 19" or 20" staggered setup rite... backside itchy is liddat one :P

Battery OK lah understandable cos AGM battery required for start-stop system. $400-500. But again, so fast kaput? BMW batteries should last 3-4 years... double that of Jap/Korean rides.

Alternator so fast kaput?

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

tyres r wear n tear is expected. 10k per year is smthg me n i believe, many new conti / would-be conti owners, wouldn't expect. u either really take care of ur ride beyond the norm or track / drive hard / super high mileage ur car to warrant such maintenance costs. for ur case, would it b "cheaper" to own new w warranty before u "released" to open market, as i don't think new cars / 1st owner cars will depreciate more, like what used car dealers used to quote, unless urs a hybrid or much higher end model.

I got the car at 100k km.

Depreciation of almost new Mini also cannot beat BMW with depreciation + maintenance of 10k.

LOL, ok... cos you say until maciam stock is not a norm. The car has plenty of power for what it is, I don't understand why people want to go and chip their cars and risk other issues, especially if the chips are from unknown manufacturers or unproven tuners.

My F10 from day one until now tyre haven't botak. JUST only about to change it. @ 35K mileage. I'm still on stock 18". U confirm must be on 19" or 20" staggered setup rite... backside itchy is liddat one :P

Battery OK lah understandable cos AGM battery required for start-stop system. $400-500. But again, so fast kaput? BMW batteries should last 3-4 years... double that of Jap/Korean rides.

The car has clocked 100k km when i got it.

Unlike a lot of ppl, i changed tyre every 2 years regardless of the wear rate.  BMW 16" size has weird size like 225/55 16.  Tyre is more ex than usual 16"

Alternator kaput at 100k km.  Normal what.  It is normal battery.  That battery has been used for 5 yrs already.

I got the car at 100k km.

Depreciation of almost new Mini also cannot beat BMW with depreciation + maintenance of 10k.

Walau bro, u tok until like maintenance oredi 10k a year.. If incl depre then may be worth "calculated" risk, notwithanding lemon law.

i u check out forums, seemed like stock not so norm.. i can understand y they chip or mod or tune or whateva u called it. the hunger for more money, power or fame or along such line is always there. only when kena real hard hit then will come back to earth n for the time being only; human nature.

Golf Mk6 Twincharge 1.4 2009 - Owned 2 years (used) current km 98,000+ - Wife's car

Golf Mk7 Turbo 1.4 2016 - Owned 8 months (new) current km 8,000+ - Mum's car

No mods. All stock.

That's because you were in "S" sports mode izzit? During normal driving, the downshifts are not noticable. But in S, it downshifts early hence you have the jerk, or more correctly.. a lurch... next shift yourself, and learn to blip the throttle. If you drive like boy racer and don't know how to handle downshift, don't blame the car. Even a conventional auto will jerk.

Good advice, I go back to BB Driving School to learn how to handle downshift.

Saw a video before about how an automated dual clutch works.. like the DSG from VW / S-tronic from Audi / PDK from Porsche / 7G-tronic from Mercedes Benz. At a stop, you don't need to engage Neutral because the computer does it for you already. Not sure if there's any damage done if you still go ahead & do it.

In the video, it strong advised against letting a DCT like above, creep forward. You either accelerate or come to a complete stop. Frequent creeping forward will result in a lot of premature wear & tear. And a lot of local drivers like to do this at the traffic light.

Merc's 7G-Tronic is full automatic (visco coupled) lah!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_7G-Tronic_transmission

• Praise 1

Solution would be to engage first gear, lightly accelerate, then downshift to N and creep. Very tedious indeed. Almost like manual, except DSG wouldn't need to press clutch pedal.

Wah! If must drive liddat the si bei sian leh!

Why even buy such a car and live through sh!t?? :D

Golf GTI/R is 1 of the car i will avoid at all cost. Unlike to find mod free car especially at that mileage.

I had heard from owner of Audi S3 that he boost the engine until pistol piang. Have to wait 3 mths.

The 'same' story I heard from PA person was a 2.0T A3 owner who replaced his whole turbo setup and remap to an S3's, went up north and pistons piang!! :D

Thanks for your efforts explaining this technology in your perspective. I am more enlightened now.

Got "lion" brand in Singa-pura ?

I heard people called horse = ferrari, porky = Porsche. Don't tell me lion = jag ... ?

Lion = Peugeot
  • Praise 1

I juz had a ride in Audi A6. Damn smooth! Where got juddering?

So only dry clutch has it? Cos I really felt it when I let test car a3 creep on d mode.

Lion = Peugeot

Lol !

Some said : phoenix = Peugeot...

I juz had a ride in Audi A6. Damn smooth! Where got juddering?

Brand new A6 with less than 19,999km mileage ah... ?
↡ Advertisement