How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Lol !

Some said : phoenix = Peugeot...

Brand new A6 with less than 19,999km mileage ah... ?

Didn't check lah.

It was my uber ride home yesterday night.

↡ Advertisement

So only dry clutch has it? Cos I really felt it when I let test car a3 creep on d mode.

Well if you want to make the car move without giving petrol to the engine (esp a small 1.4l)...

Lol !

Some said : phoenix = Peugeot...

Brand new A6 with less than 19,999km mileage ah... ?

Eh ello, the Phoenix is a bird lah ... 2 wings and 2 legs hor!

Well if you want to make the car move without giving petrol to the engine (esp a small 1.4l)...

MT is the best for low torque application.  If not, SMT loh.

Noob question.

How to blip throttle on a dsg car? Is it like press accelerator a bit then brake?

Sorry if I sound silly but this is the first time I heard abt this n keen to learn so that I can try.

Eh ello, the Phoenix is a bird lah ... 2 wings and 2 legs hor! ð

Peugeot's Lion has 2 hands and 2 legs lah!

You got pass PSLE science topic in animal kingdom or not? :D

Phoenix I heard can transform one leh...

PSLE is a long time ago, all returned to my teachers oredy, lol !

right turn leh, surely will creep for inching purpose.

I juz had a ride in Audi A6.  Damn smooth!  Where got juddering?

depends on which a6 you sat, the newest a6 is back to S-Tronic with physcial gears. 

for the previous a6 before facelift, it was using multi-tronic (CVT), its super smooth, and good torque just comes below 2000rpm with no jerk at all.  its a masterpiece for me, some may not like it , but the truth is its smooth like BUTTER 

Hypersonic

Noob question.

How to blip throttle on a dsg car? Is it like press accelerator a bit then brake?

Sorry if I sound silly but this is the first time I heard abt this n keen to learn so that I can try.

dsg will blip for you when downshift

just drive

Mercedes is being very very conservative about stressing out their engines too. eg.

Audi: 1.4l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

BMW: 1.5l 3 cylinder pushing out 136bhp and 220Nm

Mercedes: 1.6l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

Others may say smaller engines with higher output are more advanced, but I do not think Mercedes cannot make such an engine, but they prefer to consider more on the long run.

Mercedes has a 2.0-litre with 380bhp and 475Nm...

Why do you need to do rapid shift down?

Juz step on the brake is enought, right?

No, I meant when I am braking, as the speed goes down, the car automatically shifts down the gears sequentially.

Might be a problem with my particular old car. But on certain braking/speed patterns, as the car slows due to braking and the box automatically shifts down the gears, I can feel the engine braking effect* which is totally invisible to me on the Japanese 5AT I was used to.

​*or gear box jerk or some other combination thereof.

Edited by Ake109

No, I meant when I am braking, as the speed goes down, the car automatically shifts down the gears sequentially.

Might be a problem with my particular old car. But on certain braking/speed patterns, as the car slows due to braking and the box automatically shifts down the gears, I can feel the engine braking effect* which is totally invisible to me on the Japanese 5AT I was used to.

What I found is if you don't press the brake on and off again when slowing down, the gear is dropped without engaging the clutch (thus no jerk).

If you repeat press and release brake before coming to complete stop then the clutch reengages causing jerk / engine braking.

It is normal.  I have the same jerking with SMT.

In fact, Aisin box of my Mini also jerk because of aggressive downshift.

What I found is if you don't press the brake on and off again when slowing down, the gear is dropped without engaging the clutch (thus no jerk).

If you repeat press and release brake before coming to complete stop then the clutch reengages causing jerk / engine braking.

No, i am quite anal about braking smoothly (cant stand taxi drives with tap dancing right feet) so I wont release the brake but I might lessen the pressure on and off a bit for fine adjustment (still braking) and I feel the slight jerk sometimes, Hope is not DSG issue :(

The irony is that the dealer will probably chiak the profit for himself and not likely to do any repairs on the car beyond cosmetic changes. 

On the other hand, if the dealer/private seller has a guilty conscience and sell way below market price to compensate the buyer for the potential repairs, nobody would dare view that car. It is like broadcasting out loud that car has a problem hence selling cheap. 

I knew of someone years ago who could not bring himself to sell his very problematic car (Hyundai Excel) to an unsuspecting innocent buyer. He scrapped the car instead, incurring financial loss...but walked away a much happier person.

The dealer is aware of the faults that's why the low take in price. I do not have control over if they choose to rectify it or not and become a happier human being . but looking at the modus operandi of most dealers I would say they wont unless they have no choice

Edited by S4vtec

just curious.

Did those who bought the dry clutch as a result of sales saying problems solved 

Or

As a result of good faith and did not bother about the noise of many VW customer who complained because it was a sweet deal of a price at that time ?

DSG is like Manual box. Sure have a bit of down gear effect. For those Japanese car running on 5 to 6 AT. I believe torque convertor already absorb some of the jerk already.

↡ Advertisement