How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

can let me know the workshop you used to fix the roof lining?

sk auto at the new sin ming building, the tall one

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I was told that after brining in the Arteon, Volkswagen decide not to continue to carry this model in the near future. Thats mean no more support and value of the car will drop?

Thinking of getting it.

Any advise?

• Praise 1

(edited)

My next car might be one that comes with a dsg gearbox.

I saw a video mentioning that carparks and traffic jams are killers of the dsg gearbox.

the reason is that some drivers, let the car inch forward without depressing the accelerator.  This cause the gearbox  to be half-clutch condition, which will build up heat and also wear out the clutch.  The video goes on to say that the way to counter this is to let the gap between the car in front open up and step on the accelerator to move off.

I have been driving a conventional auto transmission all this while and after watching the video, I have been thinking what if there is a red light in front, I would sometimes like the car coast a bit before braking.  Looks like this practice is bad for the dsg.

What are some of the tips to drive the dsg gearbox the right way?

Does the salesperson brief owner before handing over the car?  Does the salesperson know/care?

Edited by Lotr
  • Praise 2

I wonder if anyone can verify this

verify the overpricing of the car or lack of sales?

Regarding pricing, I can offer my observations when I was looking at the Passat Exclusiveline and Superb L&K about 2 months ago.  At that time, the Passat was at 165k and the Superb at 160k. 

The skoda sales told me the OMV is about 33k (Difficult to confirm these figures as there is no published OMV data), while the OMV of the Passat is 35.5k. 

So, to me, Passat is not that overpriced as compared to the skoda.  In fact the profit margin is lower than the skoda.  

(edited)

I saw a video mentioning that carparks and traffic jams are killers of the dsg gearbox.

the reason is that some drivers, let the car inch forward without depressing the accelerator.  This cause the gearbox  to be half-clutch condition, which will build up heat and also wear out the clutch.  The video goes on to say that the way to counter this is to let the gap between the car in front open up and step on the accelerator to move off.

I have been driving a conventional auto transmission all this while and after watching the video, I have been thinking what if there is a red light in front, I would sometimes like the car coast a bit before braking.  Looks like this practice is bad for the dsg.

Does the salesperson brief owner before handing over the car?  Does the salesperson know/care?

Coasting is fine (above 10kph). Creeping is not. Some creeping is fine (like traffic lights), but don't do it excessively (like in a traffic jam).

When you drive, the gearbox is relatively cool, so when you approach a traffic light to a stop, it's OK to let it roll to a stop.

Don't launch the car. Accelerate gently off the line. This is one of the biggest killer of the DSG. The other one is trying to creep the car up a slope (e.g. carpark gantry). You'll need to start using your handbrake.

That's all there is to a DSG.

I had a DSG (VW Golf Mk6) car that I just sold recently which I drove for years without issue (it is 9 years old and I swapped it for a newer car). My family still has another Golf Mk7 which has been working fine.

The new car though (BMW 116d) has a ZF 8 speed transmission which is  a brilliant piece of work. Of course if you ask me to choose, I'd pick the ZF8. It shifts so quickly that there's really no reason for a DSG unless you are racing.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 7

Coasting is fine (above 10kph). Creeping is not. Some creeping is fine (like traffic lights), but don't do it excessively (like in a traffic jam).

When you drive, the gearbox is relatively cool, so when you approach a traffic light to a stop, it's OK to let it roll to a stop.

Don't launch the car. Accelerate gently off the line. This is one of the biggest killer of the DSG. The other one is trying to creep the car up a slope (e.g. carpark gantry). You'll need to start using your handbrake.

I had a DSG (VW Golf Mk6) car that I just sold recently which I drove for years without issue (it is 9 years old and I swapped it for a newer car). My family still has another Golf Mk7 which has been working fine.

The new car though (BMW 116d) has a ZF 8 speed transmission which is a brilliant piece of work. Of course if you ask me to choose, I'd pick the ZF8. It shifts so quickly that there's really no reason for a DSG unless you are racing.

The idea is not the speed of the shifts, but the feeling. Neither dsg nor zf gives tat feel. Only the single clutch one like those used in f1 does.

Twincharged

The new car though (BMW 116d) has a ZF 8 speed transmission which is a brilliant piece of work. Of course if you ask me to choose, I'd pick the ZF8. It shifts so quickly that there's really no reason for a DSG unless you are racing.

That’s why dual clutched box is being abandoned by many manufacturers.

(edited)

You may want to watch the following videos if you are thinking of getting a car with dual clutch transmission.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hog948HZPL8

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUPhJTnIohY

Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_VLY-Fyi44

Edited by Razer_Blaze
  • Praise 3

Thatâs why dual clutched box is being abandoned by many manufacturers.

Which manufacturer abandon? Looks like many still using leh

(edited)

The idea is not the speed of the shifts, but the feeling. Neither dsg nor zf gives tat feel. Only the single clutch one like those used in f1 does.

Buy a manual car then

Btw F1 has a sequential gearbox which is different

Edited by Detach8

Buy a manual car then

Btw F1 has a sequential gearbox which is different

the sequential gearbox is essentially a manual gearbox. same for dual clutch gearboxes. 

the difference between F1 gearbox is it uses a single dry clutch, like those used in Ferrari 355 to 430, pre dual clutch era contis. 

the shifts in the single clutch can be jerky, which may not be to everyone's liking. but for the enthusiast, it's more engaging and direct. the feeling of the gearshifts will be similar to shifting manually, with a left foot pedal. 

dual clutch reduces that feeling. Auto even worse. What I'm referring to is the feeling of the shifts, not how much feel u get from using your left foot.

• Praise 1

(edited)

the sequential gearbox is essentially a manual gearbox. same for dual clutch gearboxes. 

the difference between F1 gearbox is it uses a single dry clutch, like those used in Ferrari 355 to 430, pre dual clutch era contis. 

the shifts in the single clutch can be jerky, which may not be to everyone's liking. but for the enthusiast, it's more engaging and direct. the feeling of the gearshifts will be similar to shifting manually, with a left foot pedal. 

dual clutch reduces that feeling. Auto even worse. What I'm referring to is the feeling of the shifts, not how much feel u get from using your left foot.

it's funny whenever I hear people talk about "feel" and "direct" on auto gearboxes

if that is what you want, just buy a manual gearbox.

auto gearboxes are... well, auto

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 7

(edited)

it's funny whenever I hear people talk about "feel" and "direct" on auto gearboxes

if that is what you want, just buy a manual gearbox.

auto gearboxes are... well, auto

which is precisely what some ppl have done, buying cars fitted with an F1 type gearbox, which is a manual gearbox, giving the feel of a manual shift, without the need for using the left foot. 

it's funny ppl simply think of a manual gearbox as using the left foot and make comments without understanding the technical underpinnings of it. 

yr right. auto boxes are auto boxes. but if u define it as simply one that eliminates using the left foot, then from an engineering perspective, yr wrong. 

thus it's hardly surprising many like u enjoy the zf auto more. it's fast n smooth. does it have the feeling? well, the fact no supercar fits it in explains it. 

for practical purposes to suit the masses. not aware of supercars switching though

Edited by Felipe

I hope you are not equating enthusiast with supercar (ferrari/lambo level) drivers. 

I see super car drivers as car enthusiast with a very deep pocket and with a yearly mileage of 100 km....their transmission is not expected to do the 20,000km/year average mileage. So the type of transmission choice very different. Same like those short life-span F1/Rally car engines and transmissions.

I belong to the masses where my car has to multitask to bring me to and fro work, taxi for my family, luggage hauler on long trips, plus providing the occasional driving fun when all alone.

which is precisely what some ppl have done, buying cars fitted with an F1 type gearbox, which is a manual gearbox, giving the feel of a manual shift, without the need for using the left foot. 

it's funny ppl simply think of a manual gearbox as using the left foot and make comments without understanding the technical underpinnings of it. 

yr right. auto boxes are auto boxes. but if u define it as simply one that eliminates using the left foot, then from an engineering perspective, yr wrong. 

thus it's hardly surprising many like u enjoy the zf auto more. it's fast n smooth. does it have the feeling? well, the fact no supercar fits it in explains it. 

for practical purposes to suit the masses. not aware of supercars switching though

• Praise 3