How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Supersonic

Unfortunately need to learn a bit. If you at the wrong gear go up a slope, the car will not move or move very very slowly even if you floor the accelerator pedal.

Izit? I don't hv that issue on mine leh
↡ Advertisement

Izit? I don't hv that issue on mine leh

It happens when the car is still at higher gear when it needs to climb up a slope, eg up a MSCP or even crossing multiple humps when passing a gantry. Experieinced it in my previous Touran, now B class also same with similar DSG gearbox.

Sometimes in higher gear there's a lag when stepping on it. Pedal is about 2/3 down but car isn't moving correspondingly as the gear is wrong. Still learning how to manage the gearbox in those scenarios.

Sometimes in higher gear there's a lag when stepping on it. Pedal is about 2/3 down but car isn't moving correspondingly as the gear is wrong. Still learning how to manage the gearbox in those scenarios.

Put to sport mode prob solved.
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

The scenario I encountered is the gearbox is at a lowest gear and rev quite high, then I step a bit more then the gearbox jumps to the next gear. Usually encounter this in carpark slopes.

Hypersonic

just drive on manual mode with paddle shifters lah

quite fun and definitely won’t be caught on wrong gear

Someone with interest in driving can notice and appreciate the difference. I used to think my normal torque converter seems quite fast liao. Once I changed to DSG I realised how stupid my previous thinking was.

It only takes around 2 months to figure out the new driving style. Not a big difference from regular auto. Learning the DSG technique improves your driving experience but is not a must.

heng u were on AT, i went from jetta to nissan qq cvt and buay tahan.....

Supercharged

quite fun and definitely wonât be caught on wrong gear

ð

No paddle shifters leh. Next time I try sports mode.

Supersonic

Is this the DQ200?

That's true. No problems in sports mode.

for those who have class 3,

just mimic back the driving method

can use M mode if no paddle shifter

my only complain is that the shifting up down direction boh tio.....shd be up if wanna downshift:(

just like when i was in ubi L plate.....datsun 120.....crusing nicely on 4th gear then approaching red light instructor say...slow down and downshfit

so from 4 to 3 is up:)

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

never like s mode....too aggressive gear mapping

from 2nd gear onwards, need to rev to red line at every gear to induce an upshift

if like that, vw should call it race mode better

:D 

quite fun and definitely wonât be caught on wrong gear

ð

Yes. That's the point of this gearbox. To shift manually to get it right

Use the stick
  • Praise 1

That's why for the price driver paid for DSG, it is probably the most valued system one get. Unfortunately, most prefer to live in the past of its past failure and refuse to acknowledge its benefits

• Praise 1

Supercharged

What's ECP? This is serious, can elaborate more? 

Anyone encountered ECP light up and lost power, and rear end by another vehicle...

The EPC warning light, also known as the Electronic Power Control warning light, is a vehicle warning indicator that indicates a problem with your Volkswagen's throttle system, such as with the throttle pedal, throttle body, traction control, or cruise control.

• Praise 1