How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Supersonic

That's why for the price driver paid for DSG, it is probably the most valued system one get. Unfortunately, most prefer to live in the past of its past failure and refuse to acknowledge its benefits

Worst are those kiasi hearsay brigade. Stick to outdated tech w mundane drive, never try b4 but yet tok like hero....lol
↡ Advertisement

Actually, non-DSG driver are not outdated, but merely enjoying a different type of system. Traditional torque converter is smoother, less jerk but at the expense of slightly more fuel consumed due to fluid transfer method. But the jewel of torque converter auto is ZF8 which is lightning fast yet smooth. It is almost DCT equivalent.

CVT had improved leap and bound over the years, nothing wrong with it but just different, different philosophy in how car should perform.

• Praise 2

A quick question, is it ok to release the throttle to slow down (say coming to a junction) and let the DSG tranny downshift itself?   

I have been doing this with the conventional auto tranny, and not sure if the above can do for dsg box.

I'm seriously considering getting one a model with a dsg tranny.  

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Supersonic

A quick question, is it ok to release the throttle to slow down (say coming to a junction) and let the DSG tranny downshift itself?

I have been doing this with the conventional auto tranny, and not sure if the above can do for dsg box.

For DSG w coasting mode, when throttle lift off it will go into neutral gear n revs drop to idling speed. Once tap on the throttle, gear engages seamlessly as it has already been pre-selected
  • Praise 1

For DSG w coasting mode, when throttle lift off it will go into neutral gear n revs drop to idling speed. Once tap on the throttle, gear engages seamlessly as it has already been pre-selected

I thought when drive manual gb coasting down we would still keep gear engage to have full control instead of neutral.

those switch to neutral are thinking of fuel saving only.

Worst are those kiasi hearsay brigade. Stick to outdated tech w mundane drive, never try b4 but yet tok like hero....lol

once u experienced gb failure at causeway jam or on journey to holiday with family then only you will understand why some avoiding unnecessary risk.

Hypersonic

there is no need to change driving styles 

why would you have this idea in the first place?

:D 

• Praise 1

Only change u need to do is not to creep in traffic jams. Else everything same, maybe no need step so hard since the car accelerate faster with better gearshift vs most of the cvt or auto gearbox.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I thought when drive manual gb coasting down we would still keep gear engage to have full control instead of neutral.

once u experienced gb failure at causeway jam or on journey to holiday with family then only you will understand why some avoiding unnecessary risk.

Plane can crash. Does that mean we onli take bus to go holidays?

Plane can crash. Does that mean we onli take bus to go holidays?

you cant drive to Europe.

so only choice is plane. so plane we choose better airline recognize with proper maintenance.

same like car choose a wise choice to minimize risk.

DSG go for Wet unit instead of dry.

NOT 100% eliminating risk is the key word here.

hence you answer pure BS.

Supersonic

you cant drive to Europe.

so only choice is plane. so plane we choose better airline recognize with proper maintenance.

same like car choose a wise choice to minimize risk.

DSG go for Wet unit instead of dry.

NOT 100% eliminating risk is the key word here.

hence you answer pure BS.

So kiasi go sentosa don't act brave go Europe laaa

Gb won’t die out of a sudden unless MU failure. There are signs to pre-warn you prior to it. Not you but i see many comment if these and that car can overtake easily at NsHw or even going up Genting effortlessly. I wonder how often they do the journey they commented.

Anyway, all tranny perform differently, just which one suit one better in term of drive and comfort. There are always camps at each side, so pointless to keep repeating the say old stories over and over again.

I had preciously own model equipped with DQ25, presently driving one with DQ200. When it fails, i just have to deal with it.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Only change u need to do is not to creep in traffic jams. Else everything same, maybe no need step so hard since the car accelerate faster with better gearshift vs most of the cvt or auto gearbox.

just use autohold function to avoid creep

:D 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Thanks to the bros answering my question [thumbsup]

No worries.

One more thing to add, for those who tink that throttle lift off means no engine braking, once u tap on the brakes the DSG seamlessly re-engages n will downshift according to the speed

tested an Audi DL 2.0 Gearbox yesterday paired with the EA888 engine. the shift are buttery smooth and the noise it makes is wonderful.

Except in gears 1 and 2. Salesperson also told me no jerking and asked me to try lifting off throttle, and it didn't jerk.

Only after driving it for a month then I realise it's mostly true, except for a certain case where you accelerate a bit from a stop, then lift off. There will be a slight jerk.

I don't know is it the same as old DSG boxes, or maybe I never experienced a real jerking DSG box before.

A small complaint only. Otherwise it is really excellent. Would like to try ZF out one day as I read it's also a top performing gearbox.

↡ Advertisement