How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Stuck in carpark jam at Taka slope (up to level 6) in manual seems fun. [:p]

Its ok for me. I'm very used to it. Just work on the handbrake, clutch and gas pedal simultaneously. No sweat man! Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 2

DSG is super noisy with the gears cling clang clunk while on the road. DCT is super quiet. Although both change gears seamlessly, DCT can't be heard while DSG has lots of metal grinding sound.

that sound means dry clutch up lorry

change gear seamlessly means mu still good

dsg is problematic

don buy cars with dsg

case closed.......

Yalor. Somemore got cling clang clunk sound one....

can....but slower gear change and jerkier due to the nature of the dual clutch

:D

really shouldn't the dsg downshift faster than human hand?

Stuck in carpark jam at Taka slope (up to level 6) in manual seems fun.  [:p]

I had MRS which has the similar automated manual to Alfa Selespeed.

Almost had accident on 1st day as the car slide backward.

I had MRS which has the similar automated manual to Alfa Selespeed.

Almost had accident on 1st day as the car slide backward.

its still easier than clutch pedal cos u just need to use left foot for brake. press abit of throttle and yr up. 

for clutch pedal, normally is handbrake unless one's clutch control is damn good. 

really shouldn't the dsg downshift faster than human hand?

odd gears on 1 clutch even gears on the other

change from 5-3, sure slower and jerkier like selespeed

Guys. What’s the topic?

We are on topic, aren't we? There are no new post about failure of 7 speed DSG, instead there are lot of justification and sharing of personal experience of how good DSG GB is... ... :D :D

OK, joke aside, the thread was started during the days when many faced issues with their DSG unit, thus reporting their unpleasant user experience in this thread. Now that VW has "done something" to improve on the reliability of the infamous 7 speed dry clutch DSG, such negative feedback are for sure getting much lesser then before, thus more are side-tracking to talk about other aspect of DSG, including comparison to other auto GB setup, and even manual shift.

• Praise 6

We are on topic, aren't we? There are no new post about failure of 7 speed DSG, instead there are lot of justification and sharing of personal experience of how good DSG GB is... ... :D :D

OK, joke aside, the thread was started during the days when many faced issues with their DSG unit, thus reporting their unpleasant user experience in this thread. Now that VW has "done something" to improve on the reliability of the infamous 7 speed dry clutch DSG, such negative feedback are for sure getting much lesser then before, thus more are side-tracking to talk about other aspect of DSG, including comparison to other auto GB setup, and even manual shift.

The most vw can do is improve the longevity of the mu. There's nothing they can do to make the dry clutch wear out slower. It's a 2k part n roughly 100k mileage.

No new post could mean those have given up and the new owners have yet to experience it

selespeed is single clutch. i feel the downshifts on single clutch is faster. A friend on dsg said too. selespeed also blips the throttle, effectively doing a heel and toe

that’s exactly my point... shifting from 5-3 is effectively using a single clutch because both are odd gears.... this takes away the advantage of the dual clutch

having said that... dual clutch shifting is fast only if the next correct gear is in place....

yeah dsg blips throttle too

quick question

the current golf and touran and sharan

the DSG is still dry but improved with lower failure rate or all "sibei wet" liao? [sly][laugh]

Edited by Wt_know

Manual vs PDK

No need to watch the video i can confidently conclude that PDK pick up speed faster than manual. 0-100 or quarter mile sprint the car with PDK sure take the crown.

There is no way human can outshift a machine! Thats why i'm driving a DSG today.

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 5

quick question

the current golf and touran and sharan

the DSG is still dry but improved with lower failure rate or all "sibei wet" liao? [sly][laugh]

toucan still dry and sharan is wet.  golf GTI and R are wet