How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

that’s exactly my point... shifting from 5-3 is effectively using a single clutch because both are odd gears.... this takes away the advantage of the dual clutch

having said that... dual clutch shifting is fast only if the next correct gear is in place....

yeah dsg blips throttle too

my point was at least for selespeed, the downshifts are just as fast, if not faster than human hand doing it.

not quite sure what u mean by dual clutch is fast only...

u mean not all dual clutch does the same thing?

compared to human hand, fully agree the dsg or selespeed would be faster

what i meant was the mu continuously predicts the next gear you require based on the current driving input. eg in d mode and on gear 3, the mu will usually get gear 4 ready on the other clutch and shift seamlessly when the shift point is reached. the shift is extremely quick and almost imperceptible.

however if you suddenly kick down on the throttle pedal or tap the paddle shifter to down shift for overtaking, there is a split second delay for the transmission to react and would not be as quick, seamless and smooth

On 8/24/2019 at 7:53 AM, Enye said:

compared to human hand, fully agree the dsg or selespeed would be faster

what i meant was the mu continuously predicts the next gear you require based on the current driving input. eg in d mode and on gear 3, the mu will usually get gear 4 ready on the other clutch and shift seamlessly when the shift point is reached. the shift is extremely quick and almost imperceptible.

however if you suddenly kick down on the throttle pedal or tap the paddle shifter to down shift for overtaking, there is a split second delay for the transmission to react and would not be as quick, seamless and smooth

ok get wat u mean. not sure how true cos a friend on dsg and selespeed before said selespeed downshift is faster than dsg as no need preselect gear. having driven the selespeed for a long time, i feel the downshifts are fast but of cos, not as smooth. 

in short, the dsg edges out selespeed upshift but not downshift. 

2 hours ago, Felipe said:

ok get wat u mean. not sure how true cos a friend on dsg and selespeed before said selespeed downshift is faster than dsg as no need preselect gear. having driven the selespeed for a long time, i feel the downshifts are fast but of cos, not as smooth. 

in short, the dsg edges out selespeed upshift but not downshift. 

DSG can't predict when you downshift unless you step on brake.

8 hours ago, Davidtch said:

DSG can't predict when you downshift unless you step on brake.

So braking makes it downshift faster?

Then it's still fast in the slower corners but a fast corner where braking is not needed is a problem?

On 8/23/2019 at 12:59 PM, Enye said:

that sound means dry clutch up lorry

change gear seamlessly means mu still good

Not really.. new VW with DSG or Audi's S-tronic.. also have. More obvious at low speeds in carparks. Slightly jerky and mechanical sounds can be felt/heard. Audi one less so.

Porsche don't have 😊

Edited by Hotbod
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Felipe said:

Then it's still fast in the slower corners but a fast corner where braking is not needed is a problem?

For DSG you should accelerate before a corner to downshift. Braking doesn't downshift.

7 hours ago, Felipe said:

ECU will always prep GB to upshift.  Difficult to predict downshift.  That's why it is slower.

7 hours ago, flashbang said:

For DSG you should accelerate before a corner to downshift. Braking doesn't downshift.

his point was braking before a corner helps manually downshift faster, not that braking downshift the gears. 

Golf standard > GTI > R

you pay what you get 

obviously, "dry" is no shiok ... "wet" is good ... :grin:

Untitled.png

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

7 hours ago, Wt_know said:

Golf standard > GTI > R

you pay what you get 

obviously, "dry" is no shiok ... "wet" is good ... :grin:

Untitled.png

dry one noisier. actually more shiok for some ppl 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:08 PM, Fu11thr0tt1e said:
On 8/23/2019 at 8:42 PM, Wt_know said:

$180K Golf? mai la ... wa mai ... lol

$180k for GTI? I might as well go with a 300bhp Seat Leon Cupra R for under $160k.

Can't afford a $180k GTI Mk7.5 in Sg so decided to rent one when I was in Oz instead. Good fun

20190917_084827.jpg

Screenshot_20190917-084606_Gallery.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3