How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

How CVT works. [scholar]

In one of the company I worked with, I have the chance to deal with machine using CVT and see how it work in real life, the change in gear ratio (by narrowing / widening pulley width) can be much faster than one thought. [nod]  [nod]

i think as discussed in earlier posts, the shift speed is never in doubt. it's the feeling which for some who demand engagement, tat part is missing. 

Interesting beedeos...

how does it feel during a kick-down to overtake at speed with a cvt?

can't feel anything. which is good for some ppl

↡ Advertisement

i think as discussed in earlier posts, the shift speed is never in doubt. it's the feeling which for some who demand engagement, tat part is missing.

can't feel anything. which is good for some ppl

Maciam 3l inline6 I had before...totally boh feel...no confident to overtake at highway. With turbo you can know whether can make it or not...

In a way, I think it does. I found the drive in a 2.0T FXT quite alright, then I tried the 2.0NA XV which I found slightly lethargic for a 2 litre.

Have also tried the 1.6 Altis and 1.6 Civic, which were just disappointing. In fact, I found the 6 spd on the Cerato even more engaging to drive.

In conclusion, I think CVT must be paired with high torque engines to be enjoyable.

yes. if match with good torque the drive is different.

however the rubber band effect unavoidable at low rpm range.

CVT is gearless. How does it 'shift'?

It mimics a 6-7 speed GB when you use +/- mode

out of the few cvts i tested such as impreza/xv/vios/civic, i gotta say civic is the best but that could be mitigated by the turbo in the 1.5t civic.

xv/impreza was acceptable but lethargic and vios is just absolute crap.

Previous vios might not have manual mode unless you referring to current model. I'm referring to how instant the gear changes as you flick the paddle or push/pull shift lever, not commenting if car is swift or lethargic.

I need to clarify it's how fast gear shifts and not performance of car

Interesting beedeos...

how does it feel during a kick-down to overtake at speed with a cvt?

Need to ask Mat Watson of Carwow to do a rolling acceleration test between an Audi A6 45 TFSI (DSG ), BMW 530i (ZF) and bring along an old Lexus GS450h (CVT) to see which responds faster to kickdown. That would be fun to watch. Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

It mimics a 6-7 speed GB when you use +/- mode

Previous vios might not have manual mode unless you referring to current model. I'm referring to how instant the gear changes as you flick the paddle or push/pull shift lever, not commenting if car is swift or lethargic.

I need to clarify it's how fast gear shifts and not performance of car

the speed is there for sure. there's the idea of something feels fast, and some that IS fast. track times have shown there's no way manual hand can shift faster than various modern autoboxes no matter how shiok it feels. even F1 has gone dual clutch which it previously banned cos it's like a cvt with minimal driver involvement. not forgetting things like turbo where it was previously NA. 

for cvt, the mimic of shifts is obviously instant. so it all boils down to the feeling one gets, which differs for individuals. 

• Praise 1

I drive a 7 speed wet DSG in Singapore

I drive a CVT 2.4 Accord in Malaysia

So i switch btw these 2 cars every few weeks.

I miss my DSG car a lot a lot really a lot when I am driving the CVT in Malaysia. Hahahaa...

Edited by Wen
  • Praise 3

I miss my DSG car a lot a lot really a lot when I am driving the CVT in Malaysia. Hahahaa...

Those who hearsay this, hearsay that won't understand bro. Only those who own a DSG car will appreciate that fact

• Praise 3

So envy of you, enjoying the best of both worlds

Those who hearsay this, hearsay that won't understand bro. Only those who own a DSG car will appreciate that fact

U need to drive both CVT and DSG swapping on a regular basis, then you know what the real gem it is to drive for a DSG

• Praise 1

U need to drive both CVT and DSG swapping on a regular basis, then you know what the real gem it is to drive for a DSG

Know what u mean

I owned both a GTI and a Sorento turbodiesel w torque convertor auto at the same time

Torque convertor auto already win CVT hands down

And the DSG on the GTI win torque convertor easily

In fact, I purposely drove my GTI (instead of the Sorento) to MI when i test drove the Forester XT w CVT

Hopping back to the GTI after the test drive, i appreciated the responsiveness of the DSG even more

Know what u mean

I owned both a GTI and a Sorento turbodiesel w torque convertor auto at the same time

In fact, I purposely drove my GTI (instead of the Sorento) to MI when i test drove the Forester XT w CVT

Hopping back to the GTI after the test drive, i appreciated the responsiveness of the DSG even more

if the GTI cannot deliver the driving engagement, it will not deserve to wear the badge GTI.

eg: civic 1.6NA with DIY type R badge will just make people laugh.

Know what u mean

"win torque convertor" means what?

I am sorry that you had to test drive forester in order to feel good about DSG.

LOL. 

Do you drive Sorento daily prior to driving GTI?

Edited by Junky73

I tested the sorento with the 400plus Nm mated with a 8 sp Torque converter GB and thereafter walked out without the signature on the dotted line. Not impressed.

Current IL6 with 310Nm mated to a 6sp Torque convertor also yawning and unimpressed. Smooth though

I missed the VW 6sp wet DSG and how quick it shifts between gears, especially the upshift. Engine tends to be less refine though.

• Praise 6

"win torque convertor" means what?

I am sorry that you had to test drive forester in order to feel good about DSG.

LOL.

Do you drive Sorento daily prior to driving GTI?

Muahahaaaaa....the trolls cometh liao

I tested the sorento with the 400plus Nm mated with a 8 sp Torque converter GB and thereafter walked out without the signature on the dotted line. Not impressed.

Current IL6 with 310Nm mated to a 6sp Torque convertor also yawning and unimpressed. Smooth though

I missed the VW 6sp wet DSG and how quick it shifts between gears, especially the upshift. Engine tends to be less refine though.

An IL6 would definitely be more refined than the 4-pot EA888. But having said that, the EA888 is very well matched to the 6-spd DSG. Especially the throttle blips aka DSG fart...hahaaa
  • Praise 1

An IL6 would definitely be more refined than the 4-pot EA888. But having said that, the EA888 is very well matched to the 6-spd DSG. Especially the throttle blips aka DSG fart...hahaaa

Mine was the pre FL 7N1 EO sucking CCZ engine. Guess the EA888 is a much better unit.

Edited by Hamburger
↡ Advertisement