How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Been with my 7-speed Touran for 5 years and I must admit the situation has improved a lot compared to earlier years. VW stated the problem being the oil used in the gearbox as the culprit. Then u see new 7-speed is no longer twin-charged.

I had my DSG problems but since the last repair, it has been ok. No more juddering for quite some time already. End of the day, its a 1.4L, so don't drive it like a 2.4L.

Then don't design 1.4 like 2.4.

This a classic case of 羊毛出在羊身上

↡ Advertisement

Been with my 7-speed Touran for 5 years and I must admit the situation has improved a lot compared to earlier years. VW stated the problem being the oil used in the gearbox as the culprit. Then u see new 7-speed is no longer twin-charged.

I had my DSG problems but since the last repair, it has been ok. No more juddering for quite some time already. End of the day, its a 1.4L, so don't drive it like a 2.4L.

The problem appears irregardless of whether you drive it like a 2.4L or pamper it like a 1.4L. The problem appears more frequently in constant stop start traffic like the ones we experienced on our roads on a daily basis. Changing the oil helps but only serves to delay the inevitable. 

I think they threw twincharged setup out of the window already despite it being highly raved & winning many awards for its performance & design initially, because many piston cracks were reported by owners of twincharged setup VW models.. which meant a engine overhaul.. as early as 60,000km mileage.

• Praise 1

I don't think the 7 speed dry clutch dsg was ever resolved, despite what VCS is telling their customers. If you go to overseas VW forums, lots of complaints with the mk7 golf on 7 speed dsg.

Bro, the way vw "solved" was via "take panadol for headache", 治标不治本. And from the reduction in warranty year n mileage just hints of unresolved bug in the dsg.

And as long as we have contrasting sharing of experiences with dsg, n more negative than positive in various car forums, we can be sure it's still an issue.

We r well aware of the "conti" issues but big ticket items purchase r very emotional decisions, more emotions than rational, esp when one is at the showroom seeing many sitting down w se discussing. The feel good factor after touching, feeling n test drivin one just simply evokes the desire in u to own one..

The problem appears irregardless of whether you drive it like a 2.4L or pamper it like a 1.4L. The problem appears more frequently in constant stop start traffic like the ones we experienced on our roads on a daily basis. Changing the oil helps but only serves to delay the inevitable.

I think they threw twincharged setup out of the window already despite it being highly raved & winning many awards for its performance & design initially, because many piston cracks were reported by owners of twincharged setup VW models.. which meant a engine overhaul.. as early as 60,000km mileage.

I'm simply glad this thread continues to be alive. It really reminded me to be rational instead of emotional on my next car purchase.

Up for awareness for those who r deciding on next car purchase. Those whose decide to proceed n dispose of such makes a few months to yrs later no need to think.

• Praise 2

Bro, the way vw "solved" was via "take panadol for headache", 治标不治本. And from the reduction in warranty year n mileage just hints of unresolved bug in the dsg.

And as long as we have contrasting sharing of experiences with dsg, n more negative than positive in various car forums, we can be sure it's still an issue.

We r well aware of the "conti" issues but big ticket items purchase r very emotional decisions, more emotions than rational, esp when one is at the showroom seeing many sitting down w se discussing. The feel good factor after touching, feeling n test drivin one just simply evokes the desire in u to own one..

I'm simply glad this thread continues to be alive. It really reminded me to be rational instead of emotional on my next car purchase.

Up for awareness for those who r deciding on next car purchase. Those whose decide to proceed n dispose of such makes a few months to yrs later no need to think.

Killer combo when see chio SE in tight skirt sales talk you, coupled with good looking car design + interior fit & finish + better than average driving performance from turbocharged engines..

Some people of course buay tahan.

• Praise 2

Yes, the good old manual was a gem until people complain too difficult to drive manual...

Eventually, there will be no need for you to even step on gas or brake pedals.  [laugh]

But, be prepared for failed antenna which will bring you to an adventurous roller coaster ride. The LRT incident is a preview to the future.  :XD:

The human race has full control, but prefer to have machines dominating them.

The more complicated a car is, the more problem it will have.

Many points of failure.

Edited by Kangadrool

Indeed very surprising this thread is still alive. It is very simple, if a buyer cannot stomach the risk , please avoid all VAG cars with 0AM dry clutch gearbox and buy a jap car with a either manual gearbox or conventional auto trans.

Not that the manual gearbox is obsolete , the last i saw on sgcarmart , Tan Chong is still selling the almera with a manual gearbox.

I just wonder,there are alot of "Angmo" working in VW S'pore,all driving Corporate VW Cars,i wonder will their cars breakdown.? [confused]

Killer combo when see chio SE in tight skirt sales talk you, coupled with good looking car design + interior fit & finish + better than average driving performance from turbocharged engines..

Some people of course buay tahan.

No leh, my se no chio one lol. I only see car chio. But really, I was swayed from my conviction, even if it's for a moment. She did seized opportunity to psycho me into placing deposit n even followed up w me next day. Luckily I fled from temptation..

Also, fortunately, a reasonably good experience w a current pre owned kimchi ride left me desiring for another new bibimbap..

Indeed very surprising this thread is still alive. It is very simple, if a buyer cannot stomach the risk , please avoid all VAG cars with 0AM dry clutch gearbox and buy a jap car with a either manual gearbox or conventional auto trans.

Not that the manual gearbox is obsolete , the last i saw on sgcarmart , Tan Chong is still selling the almera with a manual gearbox.

I saw Leco like carrying an axio w manual gb. Worth enquiring. Brings back fond memories of driving in 1990s n early 2000s.

Yes, the good old manual was a gem until people complain too difficult to drive manual...

Eventually, there will be no need for you to even step on gas or brake pedals. [laugh]

But, be prepared for failed antenna which will bring you to an adventurous roller coaster ride. The LRT incident is a preview to the future. :XD:

The human race has full control, but prefer to have machines dominating them.

Difficult? More like troublesome or lazy I think. Give me a manual anytime, albeit not well received if reselling it, more so if non performance model

I think a lot of people complain got problem... I personally have 2 VW cars with DSG in my family... no problem so far (touch wood). So I dunno why people keep saying it will kaput. The older car has some juddering.. but if your butt not so sensitive, i.e. don't be so farking anal about a little bit of juddering, the car is perfectly fine and in fact a very good car... not many car is in the same league as a Golf.

• Praise 1

I think a lot of people complain got problem... I personally have 2 VW cars with DSG in my family... no problem so far (touch wood). So I dunno why people keep saying it will kaput. The older car has some juddering.. but if your butt not so sensitive, i.e. don't be so farking anal about a little bit of juddering, the car is perfectly fine and in fact a very good car... not many car is in the same league as a Golf.

u the lucky one til now, though no info on mileage / years owned / new-used car status / stock-mod condition. it's not just judderin they complaining about..

I never own a VW before, but tempted by the VW brand. Mind to share your 2 VW cars 6-DSG or 7-DSG or Manual ?

When Roc first launched many years ago, I test drove the 1.4 7-DSG and was thinking "why a brand new GB Jerk especially when down shifting... and thought it was the advanced engine braking tech..."

I never own a VW before, but tempted by the VW brand. Mind to share your 2 VW cars 6-DSG or 7-DSG or Manual ?

When Roc first launched many years ago, I test drove the 1.4 7-DSG and was thinking "why a brand new GB Jerk especially when down shifting... and thought it was the advanced engine braking tech..."

Do you ever drive manual GB?

When u downshift w/o releasing clutch, does it judder?

Do you ever drive manual GB?

When u downshift w/o releasing clutch, does it judder?

Ah... that confirmed my suspicious. The VW Auto (nit manual) DSG exhibits the same characteristics of a manual GB. Then, why I heard so many people complaint about it ?

I think Vw car is Heng suay la.. Myself bought a mk6 gti on this year May.. Driving it for 3 months already.. So far only do norm servicing and done some gasket changes.. I am planning to drive till the end of Coe so around 4yrs more for me.. 4yrs back was driving the 7spd Jetta sport for a year than change again.. Reason y I drove back vw because want to fulfil my boy dream car for owning a Gti.. That time when I bought this car whole car was wrapped ppl thought sure got mod 1 but in the end whole car was stock and Low mileage as this was owner 3rd car.. So in other words is luck when buying 2nd car..

But if wan to buy get a 6spd wet clutch than a 7spd dry clutch.. That's y advice..

You go ask all the workshops in Singapore, all will tell you to avoid VW and Audi due to its DSG problem that is known world wide.

If DSG is problematic, how about PDK??

↡ Advertisement