How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Supersonic

Think i told this story before.

My friend put deposit for a 2+ year old Roc in 2014 with VW's 2nd hand arm after he came back from studies.

So he was told it's accident free.

Then by coincidence he met one of his colleagues (not immediate colleague) and was chatting in the lift and found out the girl sold off the same car to VW because of multiple accidents (want to change luck or something). 1-2 fender benders and 1 more serious one. 

So he kpkb to VW and only reluctantly got back his deposit cos they deemed those accidents non structural.

While the car itself is probably structurally fine, he just feel dulan about VW's misrepresentation.

hahaha.

Lol rather than the japanese brands aunties  [:p]

This really sucks man...  But thanks for heads-up.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Out of all the conti, Mercedes may still hold the best value. Their parts are usually more rugged in design. The cars may not run as smooth as Audi or being made a drivers car like BMW, but the fact is that they are the only Germany car maker that has ventured into industrial cars as well as passenger cars, and reliability plays a very important part.

Mercedes is being very very conservative about stressing out their engines too. eg.

Audi: 1.4l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

BMW: 1.5l 3 cylinder pushing out 136bhp and 220Nm

Mercedes: 1.6l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

Others may say smaller engines with higher output are more advanced, but I do not think Mercedes cannot make such an engine, but they prefer to consider more on the long run.

Agree, MB's preference is to not go close to the limit, based on the given capacity.  However, I also heard that in comparison w their mortal enemy, MB's parts cost more too.

• Praise 2

The scarry part is that someone else has just inherited your problems.

Not implying anything about your action as this is the reality of buying 2nd hand cars, especially conti ones.

well looking at the profit margin of the listed car , they have a very very very very very good buffer catered for the repairs

Edited by S4vtec

Agree, MB's preference is to not go close to the limit, based on the given capacity.  However, I also heard that in comparison w their mortal enemy, MB's parts cost more too.

That is a myth. Only thing is don't go back to C&C, then the parts will be as expensive as a Mazda.

Like that Mercedes and BMW 2nd hand cars very cheap lah. You know of any lobang? [wave]

I bought before 5.5 yrs old BMW 520 for 66k.  Maintenance including 2 sets of new tyre cost me only 10k.

Out of all the conti, Mercedes may still hold the best value. Their parts are usually more rugged in design. The cars may not run as smooth as Audi or being made a drivers car like BMW, but the fact is that they are the only Germany car maker that has ventured into industrial cars as well as passenger cars, and reliability plays a very important part.

Mercedes is being very very conservative about stressing out their engines too. eg.

Audi: 1.4l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

BMW: 1.5l 3 cylinder pushing out 136bhp and 220Nm

Mercedes: 1.6l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

Others may say smaller engines with higher output are more advanced, but I do not think Mercedes cannot make such an engine, but they prefer to consider more on the long run.

Who says Mercedes conservative?

Look at your own example.  BMW is the most conservative.

Rugged in design = more buffer.  Nowadays, with profit squeeze, these buffer is reducing.

By the way, isn't continental car brand includes Renault, Volvo, Peugeot & etc?  Why only limit it to Audi, BMW & Merc?

Who says Mercedes conservative?

Look at your own example.  BMW is the most conservative.

Rugged in design = more buffer.  Nowadays, with profit squeeze, these buffer is reducing.

By the way, isn't continental car brand includes Renault, Volvo, Peugeot & etc?  Why only limit it to Audi, BMW & Merc?

BMW loses one cylinder and still managed to churn out 136bhp and 220Nm, I will say that is pushing the engine to almost its limit. But the engine has been running in the MINIs for a while, so I will say BMW makes a calculated risk in bringing this engine to the BMW series.

Sorry I am not that well informed about the rest of the contis so cannot make informed comments on those, though I think Volvo is the other carmaker with both industrial and passenger vehicles?

Maybe you can give some information on the others.

BMW loses one cylinder and still managed to churn out 136bhp and 220Nm, I will say that is pushing the engine to almost its limit. But the engine has been running in the MINIs for a while, so I will say BMW makes a calculated risk in bringing this engine to the BMW series.

Sorry I am not that well informed about the rest of the contis so cannot make informed comments on those, though I think Volvo is the other carmaker with both industrial and passenger vehicles?

Maybe you can give some information on the others.

Sorry hor.  The correct output from that 4 cylinder should be 184hp & not the detuned version of 136hp.  Somemore, the same 3 cylinder is able to push out 230hp for i8.  How would that 3 cylinder producing 136hp be not conversative?

Are you talking about the same Volvo???

Juddering is not the same as this downshifting.

Juddering is due to uneven wear on the clutch. I guess you have to change your driving characteristics in start stop traffic to reduce clutch wear.

I think it should be fine, depending on how each driver drives. Start stop traffic, manual car also need to change clutch plate. For DSG, I realised the gear is going into engage mode when the brake are not step hard enough. Thus, it might also wear out the clutch plate. But if going on highway constantly, I guess the clutch plate should be able to tahan quite a bit of distance.

Sorry hor.  The correct output from that 4 cylinder should be 184hp & not the detuned version of 136hp.  Somemore, the same 3 cylinder is able to push out 230hp for i8.  How would that 3 cylinder producing 136hp be not conversative?

Are you talking about the same Volvo???

I am getting confused here.

BMW 4 cylinder producing 184hp is a 2000cc engine, NO? Then we have to compare all 2000cc cars then:

AUDI 2.0 producing 252bhp and 370Nm

BMW 2.0 producing 184bhp and 270Nm

Mercedes 2.0 producing 181bhp and 300Nm

In this case, BMW and Mercedes are in the same reign and both are being conservative. BMW 2.0l cars are known to be reliable too.

i8 is using electric motor 3 cylinder , and not the same as the MINI 3 cylinder. Electric motors are of totally different technology but I do hope that it will become main stream in the future. 1.5l 3 cylinder producing 357bhp and yet environment friendly is great!

• Praise 1

I am getting confused here.

BMW 4 cylinder producing 184hp is a 2000cc engine, NO? Then we have to compare all 2000cc cars then:

AUDI 2.0 producing 252bhp and 370Nm

BMW 2.0 producing 184bhp and 270Nm

Mercedes 2.0 producing 181bhp and 300Nm

In this case, BMW and Mercedes are in the same reign and both are being conservative. BMW 2.0l cars are known to be reliable too.

i8 is using electric motor 3 cylinder , and not the same as the MINI 3 cylinder. Electric motors are of totally different technology but I do hope that it will become main stream in the future. 1.5l 3 cylinder producing 357bhp and yet environment friendly is great!

I did not confused you.

You did not read up enough to comment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Audi_vehicles#Production_model_engines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mercedes-Benz_engines..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BMW_engines

Edited by Davidtch

hahaha.

Lol rather than the japanese brands aunties  [:p]

Japanese brands have aunties.. and many lao beng uncles.

Conti brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi.. younger chai.

The scarry part is that someone else has just inherited your problems.

Not implying anything about your action as this is the reality of buying 2nd hand cars, especially conti ones.

If got $$$, buy brand new. If got issues can bang SE err I mean tables with the service manager.

People choose to buy pre owned.. at their own risk. Because they avoided the bulk of the initial depreciation. Give & take a bit. 

I always prefer brand new.. the new car smell is addictive. My withdrawal symptoms always appear after 1-2 years  :wub:

Like that Mercedes and BMW 2nd hand cars very cheap lah. You know of any lobang? [wave]

Have lobang I buy liao, but find not worth to buy n potentially repair. Hence stickin to my old ride. At least I know the repairs only 3 figures instead of 4 or 5.

I bought before 5.5 yrs old BMW 520 for 66k. Maintenance including 2 sets of new tyre cost me only 10k.

10k quite substantial for maintenance budget, wc I could replace chassis components n rubbers + servicing, n still have change for my current ride.

One really needs to cater such budget for preowned conti I suppose. Those feelin stretched or unwilling to fork out such amount should steer clear of conti cars.

u the lucky one til now, though no info on mileage / years owned / new-used car status / stock-mod condition. it's not just judderin they complaining about..

Golf Mk6 Twincharge 1.4 2009 - Owned 2 years (used) current km 98,000+ - Wife's car

Golf Mk7 Turbo 1.4 2016 - Owned 8 months (new) current km 8,000+ - Mum's car

No mods. All stock.

I never own a VW before, but tempted by the VW brand. Mind to share your 2 VW cars 6-DSG or 7-DSG or Manual ?

When Roc first launched many years ago, I test drove the 1.4 7-DSG and was thinking "why a brand new GB Jerk especially when down shifting... and thought it was the advanced engine braking tech..."

That's because you were in "S" sports mode izzit? During normal driving, the downshifts are not noticable. But in S, it downshifts early hence you have the jerk, or more correctly.. a lurch... next shift yourself, and learn to blip the throttle. If you drive like boy racer and don't know how to handle downshift, don't blame the car. Even a conventional auto will jerk.

Edited by Detach8

Golf Mk6 Twincharge 1.4 2009 - Owned 2 years (used) current km 98,000+ - Wife's car

Golf Mk7 Turbo 1.4 2016 - Owned 8 months (new) current km 8,000+ - Mum's car

No mods. All stock.

Besides being the luckier owner, keeping stock may help in prolonging need for mu n clutch replacemeny I suppose. For th used ride, any idea if the mu / clutch / gb been replaced by prev owner?

10k quite substantial for maintenance budget, wc I could replace chassis components n rubbers + servicing, n still have change for my current ride.

One really needs to cater such budget for preowned conti I suppose. Those feelin stretched or unwilling to fork out such amount should steer clear of conti cars.

2 sets of tyre already 2.5k.

Alternator + Battery done at PML, 1k

That's ball park number off my head.

My total cost of driving BMW 520 (including maintenance) is about 40k over 4 yrs.  Where to find?

My advice to you is to stick to Jap or Korean. 

Besides being the luckier owner, keeping stock may help in prolonging need for mu n clutch replacemeny I suppose. For th used ride, any idea if the mu / clutch / gb been replaced by prev owner?

Why do you say until like people don't keep their car stock?

Used ride, no idea. I have checked with VW and the car was not part of any recalls. Even if I assume the clutch pack was replaced just before I bought the car (unlikely, as it was juddering a bit from day 1) then it lasted a good 30k.

Anyway the judder is random and does not always happen, but always on-throttle + half-clutch engagement of gear 2. So I think once you learn not to jam on the gas as the car shifts from 1->2, it should not judder.

↡ Advertisement