How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

In Singapore, only Hong Lim Park can do picket.  Go Hong Lim no wrong what.

Hong Lim, picket must apply Permit,maybe you can try to apply.."Smash a Car to protest a brand",see can get approval or not.?

↡ Advertisement

By Consumer Reports

October 24, 2016

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

vw= still amongst the least reliable brand

audi= amongst the top, reliability has overtaken bmw and mercedes over the past 3 years

wet gearbox reliable?

In my opinion, I personally dont think it is.

Maybe over the years audi has improved, according to the studies done.

my 2011 audi s4 3.0L quattro S-gearbox just died.( 6 years old car, out of warranty)

*however, I had previously chipped it up to 410 bhp stage 1 mtm at the agent PA.

Lucky agent replaced mechanics for free,  i told them that this is Fxx Sxxx, a gearbox is meant to last 200,000km!

works like a charm now. 

Very problematic, Do avoid, especially for jetta, you can go ahead and check out their service centre at Ubi, to see how many jetta's are facing gearbox issues. Not worth taking the risk. Japanese cars are definitely more reliable. Considering changing car after 3 years warranty has ended. Feel free to consult me as to what problems i faced having the Volkswagen Jetta for 3 years. 

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Very problematic, Do avoid, especially for jetta, you can go ahead and check out their service centre at Ubi, to see how many jetta's are facing gearbox issues. Not worth taking the risk. Japanese cars are definitely more reliable. Considering changing car after 3 years warranty has ended. Feel free to consult me as to what problems i faced having the Volkswagen Jetta for 3 years.

yours is which year?

VW say from 2011, all no problem liao!

Was the former owner of a VW MK6 Golf, one of the unfortunate pioneers of the infamous dry 7 speed DSG in Singapore.  Mechatronic failed a grand total of 3 times in 5 years.  It happened every 15k or so. After first replacement, they said it was fixed for good. Same spiel second time. Third time was outside the extended 5 year warranty but they still replaced for free. With a newborn then (2015), that was a last straw for me so I replaced the car instead. Other issues encountered over the years include coolant leaks, ABS sensor failure and drooping roof lining (quite common at the 3-4 year mark). 

• Praise 2

Have owned a Touran 1.4TSI for 5 years now. Gearbox issues happened on later part of the second year - no issues with aftersales team, even got a courtesy car for the period they took to replace clutch and replace synthetic with mineral oil. No problems since then.120K mileage and still going strong... might even replace my ride with the new Touran...

yours is which year?

VW say from 2011, all no problem liao!

Mine is from 2014, currently 3 years old. Just before CNY, in 3 weeks, i send into volkswagen service centre 3 times. Gearbox issue, engine cannot start, car key problems. 

• Praise 2

dry clutch, wet clutch, flood clutch, simi clutch ... Very Worry .... [sweatdrop]

Today ST's feature on the new Golf states a 7 speed wet cluch. Engine is now 1.5 with 148hp.

Today ST's feature on the new Golf states a 7 speed wet cluch. Engine is now 1.5 with 148hp.

Ello, even the 6-wet got MU issues hor... only less frequent and more sparodic.

VW's DSG technology is not out of the woods yet lah

• Praise 1

Hi Everybody Happy CNY,

I am very new to this forum here, needed some advices from senior/experienced/like-minded people here.

Am driving a 5.5yr old VW Passat CC 1.8T with about 108k km.

The gear box seems to be down for me on CNY Eve.

a. After starting the car, when i tried to engage "reverse gear", the car did not reverse but can only drive forward.

b. After driving forward for about 2km, the car lost power and the gear box seems to "jump gear" from D6 to D4 to D and finally back to normal driving.

c. I continued my journey for the next 20km or so. Did a reverse gear, and it worked.

d. Drove back home and managed to reverse parked my car.

e. The same thing occurred and i did not drive the car till now.

VW Singapore did a Voluntary Recall (Replacement of Mechatronics 7-speed DSG) on my car on May 2014. Could my current issues be related to this recall? Contact VW Singapore this morning and they told me my warranty has expired, what redress can i do, and where can i seek assistance to repair the car?

Appreciate your kind advices and comments. TQ :)

U did not say if during the recall you missed it.

Am assuming you did not take it up. Vw normally are quite flexible unless when they send reminder and you chose to ignore it. Then after the warranty it would be at the owner expense. If it is a volunteer recall instead of a mandatory recall then it's going to be tough to get a goodwill fix. Else they may ask u to fixed it at a discounted rate.

Was at my usual jb workshop and saw a VW gb stripped for changing mechatronics.

So I asked if it's the usual 7dsg and the answer is no.

It's a wet 6sp.

• Praise 1