How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

My Vw Golf VI 1.6 diesel DSG 7 has similar problem with gearbox. In the 1st and 2nd gear it has a light shudder.

I asked some local service shop to change the oil but and they told me that this dry gearbox and after searching on internet I find out that this is a DQ200 and does not need oil change.

We have 5 vehicles with the same gearbox because we are a small rent a car company and I'm afraid that the others cars my have the same issue later with the gearbox.

My question is what can I do in order to prevent this from happen and it true that the oil fluid for this gearbox does not need to be changed?

Thanks a lot gays

Oil change will only minimize the symptoms but the gearbox will eventually fail.

The DQ200 gearbox have a poor reliability and the clutch/mechatronic unit need to be changed generally every 40000km/3 years whichever come first.

• Praise 1

If true, why are people still buying VW cars?

Oil change will only minimize the symptoms but the gearbox will eventually fail.

The DQ200 gearbox have a poor reliability and the clutch/mechatronic unit need to be changed generally every 40000km/3 years whichever come first.

some of the workshop are familiar with swapping it to a wet clutch. But, you have to weight the cost. 

New DQ200 on Audi A3 Facelift model no issue. I am running mine now at 65000km over 2 years. Dun agree wif yr sweeping statement for DQ200.

New DQ200 on Audi A3 Facelift model no issue. I am running mine now at 65000km over 2 years. Dun agree wif yr sweeping statement for DQ200.

I think some people think that manufacturers will not improve/rectify problems found in previous versions. As you said, the new DQ200s on the roads seem to be working fine. Quite a number of vehicles are using it across many VW brands. It was even stated in certain articles that they had made changes to the problematic one.

Reputation might take time to recover, but some make sweeping statements and will not give it a chance. 

• Praise 1

some of the workshop are familiar with swapping it to a wet clutch. But, you have to weight the cost. 

Any idea which workshop know how to do this and what is the cost?

• Praise 1

I think some people think that manufacturers will not improve/rectify problems found in previous versions. As you said, the new DQ200s on the roads seem to be working fine. Quite a number of vehicles are using it across many VW brands. It was even stated in certain articles that they had made changes to the problematic one.

Reputation might take time to recover, but some make sweeping statements and will not give it a chance.

Yes please more ppl need to give DSG a chance just like buy TOTO, and report back their experience in 5 years time to give others accurate feedback.

You never know, you may get lucky and survive the experience.. Just like TOTO

• Praise 1

dry clutch issues are better understood by car buyers and AD handling of these issues and part replacements have improved somewhat by now

hence lesser outcry and publicity on gb failures than before

but less noise doesn’t mean that gb failures have been eliminated completely

The only solution is to avoid buying cars equipped with DQ200. Why put yourself at 'risk'  :D

That is one view.

But there are still buyers who still go for DQ200 and have not had an issue for more than 5 years ownership.

Some have good luck, some have bad luck. That's why some people keep buying Toto. :)

• Praise 1

That is one view.

But there are still buyers who still go for DQ200 and have not had an issue for more than 5 years ownership.

Some have good luck, some have bad luck. That's why some people keep buying Toto. :)

the dry clutch issues are overblown. but then again, since there's the wet clutch, why not just get it? 

• Praise 1

If true, why are people still buying VW cars?

To some it’s an acceptable wear and tear component. Piston wear and tear also ok.

My previous ride was a golf mk6 1.4 twin-charged.

It was a dream to drive among all the different rides i had owned. However, it was also the worse car i had ever owned.

The dag, specifically the MU was inly the tip of the iceberg for me. I had countless other issues with my ride and had to send it in tot the workshop more than 20 times (excluding servicings) in my 3 years of owning it.

It wasn’t the mist reliable hut it sure was fum on the road.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

My previous ride was a golf mk6 1.4 twin-charged.

It was a dream to drive among all the different rides i had owned. However, it was also the worse car i had ever owned.

The dag, specifically the MU was inly the tip of the iceberg for me. I had countless other issues with my ride and had to send it in tot the workshop more than 20 times (excluding servicings) in my 3 years of owning it.

It wasnât the mist reliable hut it sure was fum on the road.

You sure BMW as the next car will be better? It’s not known as Bring More Worries for nothing
↡ Advertisement