Forgot to release handbrake

Ruriimasu

Was driving for quite a few mins yesterday on PIE and realised that brake light was on. found out i forgot to release handbrake. what kind of damage should i expect?

↡ Advertisement

Was driving for quite a few mins yesterday on PIE and realised that brake light was on. found out i forgot to release handbrake. what kind of damage should i expect?

Burnt smell?

no problem lah....probably just wore off some of your brake pad only..

Handbrake activates rear brakes only. So if your rear brakes are disc brakes, you can inspect the brake pad for excessive wear visually. If it is drum brakes, it annot be inspected visually. A crude method is to see if you can engage the park brake within 3 clicks. If less than 3, then the brake shoes are ok.

If as you said is a few minute, the damage should be minimal. The brake pads should be able to take such beatings for a short period. Moreover as handbrake is activating the rear wheels, the effectiveness of your brake should not be affected. Most of the stopping action is done by front brakes. If you're still worried, send it to your mechanic for a rear wheel brake shoes/pad check.

Very unlikely that the hand brake was fully pulled up so should be minimal damage.

It happens to the best drivers. A racing driver drove a 190E Cossie with hand brake on

and then complain it could barely touch 100 mph.

:D

I did that a few times for my previous drive..no issue...jus that u will find that u got to step on the pedal harder to accelerate....waste petrol only.... Complete from pt A to pt B (at least 5km) once with brake light on.... realise it only when I parked my vehicle... [laugh][laugh]

No damage lah, only heart pain. [;)]

car sure spoil liao. better go back dealer. i think will spoil your wipers one.

[thumbsup][laugh]

Maybe the battery or audio system will breakdown also [:p]

Handbrake activates rear brakes only. So if your rear brakes are disc brakes, you can inspect the brake pad for excessive wear visually. If it is drum brakes, it annot be inspected visually. A crude method is to see if you can engage the park brake within 3 clicks. If less than 3, then the brake shoes are ok.

If as you said is a few minute, the damage should be minimal. The brake pads should be able to take such beatings for a short period. Moreover as handbrake is activating the rear wheels, the effectiveness of your brake should not be affected. Most of the stopping action is done by front brakes. If you're still worried, send it to your mechanic for a rear wheel brake shoes/pad check.

huh? what do you mean engage park brake within 3 clicks?

car sure spoil liao. better go back dealer. i think will spoil your wipers one.

[laugh][laugh] ya.,...might catch fire next time drive......my friend freind, aunty, cousin daughter uncle say wan [laugh][laugh]

No problem, the drum will be very hot only.

I also kenna once, my dad drove my car from changi airport to bedok without releasing handbrake. No damage when I open up the rear brakes.