Irritating experience at Shell Station

1fast1

Just wanted to discuss an experience I just had at the Dunearn Rd Shell Station (the one the near Turf City junction).

This Shell has been freely giving out those "$3 off every $40 petrol" vouchers like water. I have 3 whole sheets of these vouchers. They allow you to use more than one voucher per fill, e.g. $120 petrol (before discount) = $9 off.

I was also pleasantly surprised recently when I "won" an $8 voucher during my last fill - this is that promotion where they match the serial no. of the receipt or something. It's like a lucky draw. Anyway, this is not something that's freely given out.

So today I filled a full tank of V-power, as I usually do. The bill was just over $128 dollars. Naively, I assumed that I could use my $8 voucher plus three of those $3 vouchers to get a total discount of $17.

Nope, think again. The counter staff (PRC girl) told me this was not possible because "both of them were vouchers" and I couldn't use 2 sorts of vouchers together. Or something like that. This struck me as unfair and stupid. For one thing, even after discounting the $8 voucher, I would still legitimately be able to use 3 of the "free" $3 coupons. It's not like I was trying to pull a fast one by getting a discount to which I was not entitled. Furthermore, the expiration date for the $8 voucher was close to the expiration date for all the free stamps (of which I had tons, more than I would be able to finish before the expiration date). So that essentially meant my "special" $8 voucher was fairly useless to me because I would never be able to use it in conjunction with the other stamps.

If there had been someone waiting in line behind me, I would just have sucked it up and moved on. But since I wasn't inconveniencing any other customers, I decided to play hardball. I insisted on speaking to the manager. The PRC girl at first insisted she was the manageress there, and her decision was final. I said, OK I will write an email registering my displeasure to Shell. At this point, she relented and agreed to make a phone call to her manager (so there *was* someone higher she could readily contact after all [rolleyes]). After that call, she came out all apologetic and said they would accept all the vouchers together. $17 off. Finally.

So I got what I wanted, but only after a good bit of table-banging. It's not even about the money, it's about being fair to the customer and the principle of the thing.

Just wanted to vent a little, and share my experience so the bros here know what to expect. [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Just wanted to discuss an experience I just had at the Dunearn Rd Shell Station (the one the near Turf City junction).

This Shell has been freely giving out those "$3 off every $40 petrol" vouchers like water. I have 3 whole sheets of these vouchers. They allow you to use more than one voucher per fill, e.g. $120 petrol (before discount) = $9 off.

I was also pleasantly surprised recently when I "won" an $8 voucher during my last fill - this is that promotion where they match the serial no. of the receipt or something. It's like a lucky draw. Anyway, this is not something that's freely given out.

So today I filled a full tank of V-power, as I usually do. The bill was just over $128 dollars. Naively, I assumed that I could use my $8 voucher plus three of those $3 vouchers to get a total discount of $17.

Nope, think again. The counter staff (PRC girl) told me this was not possible because "both of them were vouchers" and I couldn't use 2 sorts of vouchers together. Or something like that. This struck me as unfair and stupid. For one thing, even after discounting the $8 voucher, I would still legitimately be able to use 3 of the "free" $3 coupons. It's not like I was trying to pull a fast one by getting a discount to which I was not entitled. Furthermore, the expiration date for the $8 voucher was close to the expiration date for all the free stamps (of which I had tons, more than I would be able to finish before the expiration date). So that essentially meant my "special" $8 voucher was fairly useless to me because I would never be able to use it in conjunction with the other stamps.

If there had been someone waiting in line behind me, I would just have sucked it up and moved on. But since I wasn't inconveniencing any other customers, I decided to play hardball. I insisted on speaking to the manager. The PRC girl at first insisted she was the manageress there, and her decision was final. I said, OK I will write an email registering my displeasure to Shell. At this point, she relented and agreed to make a phone call to her manager (so there *was* someone higher she could readily contact after all [rolleyes]). After that call, she came out all apologetic and said they would accept all the vouchers together. $17 off. Finally.

So I got what I wanted, but only after a good bit of table-banging. It's not even about the money, it's about being fair to the customer and the principle of the thing.

Just wanted to vent a little, and share my experience so the bros here know what to expect. [:)]

Thats small matter. I had at two different enlightenment from their attendants. Thats where I learned full tank and Auto-stop. When I said full tank. It means to them, fill until fuel tank overflowing. Auto-stop means the level sensing triggered stop the refilling automatically only. The first two attendants really got me annoyed by saying others prefer to fill until overflow. I also learned never say it in Hokkien, to avoid mis-interpretation. [sweatdrop]

Thats small matter. I had at two different enlightenment from their attendants. Thats where I learned full tank and Auto-stop. When I said full tank. It means to them, fill until fuel tank overflowing. Auto-stop means the level sensing triggered stop the refilling automatically only. The first two attendants really got me annoyed by saying others prefer to fill until overflow. I also learned never say it in Hokkien, to avoid mis-interpretation. [sweatdrop]

Somehow i dunno learn from where, the difference between Auto-stop and full tank.. [laugh] [laugh]

umm... so... like did you also get the free tissue box as well... [:p]

ha..ha... just kidding, bro...

Wah, interesting thread... 2 things which hit me...

1) I a curious where to get those $3 off vouchers and when they expire...

2) I never knew there was a diff in full tank and auto stop, so now it actually means fill to the brim meaning overspill and auto stop is when the clicker stops it... Darned now I know why sometimes there is some petrol spillage when I pump, I had always thought telling them full tank means when the auto mechanism kicks in the attendent automatically stop pumping or sometimes helps round off to the nearest dollar..

The counter girl did not offer you special service for compensation after you banged table? [laugh]

[for Turboflat4]

Well, if the girl had laid down on the table..... :ph34r:

Seriously, all these promotions is just to pull/retain the customers and if they wanna play punk with all the technicalities, it's just gonna piss ppl off....

I would just challenge:

what's stopping me from pumping $8 petrol and make payment with the $8 voucher + pumping $40 petrol and make payment with the $3 voucher + topping up another $40 petrol and make payment with $3 voucher + fianlly topping up the last $40 petrol and paying with $3 voucher?

Seriously, all these promotions is just to pull/retain the customers and if they wanna play punk with all the technicalities, it's just gonna piss ppl off....

I would just challenge:

what's stopping me from pumping $8 petrol and make payment with the $8 voucher + pumping $40 petrol and make payment with the $3 voucher + topping up another $40 petrol and make payment with $3 voucher + fianlly topping up the last $40 petrol and paying with $3 voucher?

If you had the time to spare, sure!

Somehow i dunno learn from where, the difference between Auto-stop and full tank.. [laugh] [laugh]

difference between both for my car= 5 liters

well honestly, you could just come back the next day and fill $10 and use the $8 voucher, there's no minimum anyway, and the expiry is on 29feb2012. or even $8.42, then dont even need to top up any cash at all....

the difference is different when u auto-stop on the fastest flow rate, the middle flow rate and the slow flow rate.

for me is 6.5L/4L/2L...

the difference is different when u auto-stop on the fastest flow rate, the middle flow rate and the slow flow rate.

for me is 6.5L/4L/2L...

i normally auto stop on the slowest rate from be beginning when i pump

well honestly, you could just come back the next day and fill $10 and use the $8 voucher, there's no minimum anyway, and the expiry is on 29feb2012. or even $8.42, then dont even need to top up any cash at all....

Won't be the next day, my driving habits don't use up the petrol that fast (which is why I said I have an excess of those $3 stamps). But yes, I could have done that. However, that would've meant I had to spend petrol to specifically go to and from the station, since it is not next to my house and not actually on one of my usual routes. So I would still lugi.

I would just challenge:

Yes, some people insist on filling in "tranches" to avoid this problem. But it's also a little inconsiderate as it hogs the space, etc. And considering that customers can insist on this and get their way anyway, why doesn't the Station recognise that it comes to the same thing to just let people add the discounts cumulatively?

The counter girl did not offer you special service for compensation after you banged table? [laugh]

[for Turboflat4]

Hmm...the manageress wasn't really hot, but her colleague was quite pretty (I think also PRC girl). [;)]

↡ Advertisement