SKODA Octavia vRS Combi Mk II

The_Bear

I have always wanted a Volkswagen. Specifically the GTi. It was the ultimate sleeper car that was designed to smoke clueless drivers. And then, the GTi grew up, became famous and now everybody knows about it. Then came along SKODA. Specifically the Octavia vRS. It was the GTi Mark I all over again. I had to get myself one and when the opportunity came knocking or rather I went to knock on the opportunity, I got myself a Combi vRS. Finally.

5,000 miles later, I am enjoying my daily 70km commute. The amount of kit SKODA threw into the car was tremendous. I am only missing the kitchen sink but that will fit easily into the boot if I so desire. 16 Speakers built-in Columbus system with auxiliary input and SD card reader, even 无言的结局 sounds like a happy song. GPS, active headlights, driver's multi-display, rain sensors, auto headlights comes as standard. Heck, it even closes the windows by itself when it rains. Now, if it would only bring me the slippers, I will scrap my dog.

The built is solid and functional, like a piece of industrial equipment. So much so that the engine note sounds abit agricultural at times but maybe it is just me and my imagination. 197 horsies pull away from most mortal traffic at will. SSS becomes Smell Smoke Soon! Consumption is pretty decent at 11km per litre, then again this could be due to the fact that I hardly have the chance to push the car hard in Singapore. Strange things power can do a regular guy's mind.

Genting was conquered in the first week of ownership. I planted a flag at the carpark and was about to declare our nation's sovereignty over the hill but the attendent chased me away. Maybe I shoud try Cameron next. Maybe they'll be nicer about it. Nonetheless, the valet was mightily impressed with the vRS despite not having a clue about what it was. "Skoda?" he pondered, wounded by the fact that he knows nothing about this one car and his reputation as a veteran parker just got pwned. "Very nice, like BMW," he finally concluded, to save himself from further humiliation I guess. Damm, I should have bought a BMW, then it will just be like the SKODA.

Last month, I received a letter from Harvest Motor. They actually increased my warranty to 5years/ 150,000km, whichever comes first. Normally, I like to come together but I am not writing back to them just because of my personal preference. It was pretty surprising given the car was registered in October. This is what they said -> SKODA.pdf

So that is the story of my vRS so far. I am looking forward to my first servicing and see how Harvest Motor handles the one task that most dealers screw up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Very nice review. Better than some car journalists in local car mag.

Now you need to post some pictures, before the NPNT police come knocking.

C**kster u noe, break up song become happy song?? I had.a good laugh, pls post pics, is it the station wagon type? Hw nice to drive a car to be proud of.

Ha.. nice one.. after I started driving my superb combi.. I too am looking forward to driving it everyday.. in fact I make excuses to bring my family out so that I can drive the car.. the further the better! Haha.. the equipment and ride quality really no horse run.. don

Knock Knock, NPNT!

Eh why wanna suan my SSS? [:(]

Haha..nothing personal but I do get quite a few SSS sniffing around. Also Rocs. :D

C**kster u noe, break up song become happy song?? I had.a good laugh, pls post pics, is it the station wagon type? Hw nice to drive a car to be proud of.

Yes, the Combi is much like a station wagon. But then, there is actually a station wagon for the Octavia but HM don't bring it in. There is also the Scout TDi which I think they just beginning to bring in.

Nice review bro bear.. now if only you could lend me the car for 15 mins... (with the key as well please) :D

We can always go for a joy ride when we meet up. Btw, I just had Curry Puffs.

Yes, the Combi is much like a station wagon. But then, there is actually a station wagon for the Octavia but HM don't bring it in. There is also the Scout TDi which I think they just beginning to bring in.

Doesnt it come with rear hatch which 'split' ie either open just the glass panel (rear windscreen) or the entire hatch? Clever idea!!! [:)]

\Which VW engine does it have, the current or recently-superceded Golf engine? with light turbo or TSI (turbo+SC, or big+small turbos?)?

Last but not least, and quite important question: how much?? [:)]

Doesnt it come with rear hatch which 'split' ie either open just the glass panel (rear windscreen) or the entire hatch? Clever idea!!! [:)]

\Which VW engine does it have, the current or recently-superceded Golf engine? with light turbo or TSI (turbo+SC, or big+small turbos?)?

Last but not least, and quite important question: how much?? [:)]

The vRS combi do not come with the split gate offered in the Superb Combi. It is a regular hatch on a station wagon.

It comes with a CCZA engine as used in Golf Gti Mark VI.

Current price is around $155,900 for Combi and $144,900 for Hatchback.

↡ Advertisement