Hard Rock, Soft Rock, Metal... who are the greatest 10?

KARTer

There are a few lead guitarists who would definitely feature on any list of best metal guitarists.

Yngwie Malmsteen

Jason Becker

(whom you've already mentioned and youtube-d. Yes, Becker is a poor thing, struck down like Stephen Hawking. It's even worse because his genius is a motor skill not something purely of the mind like for Hawking who's still able to contribute significantly to the world)

Tony Macalpine:

John Petrucci (Dream Theater):

Steve Vai:

My favourite of all the above is probably Petrucci, since I love Dream Theater as a whole. They're a supergroup without having the typical artificial feel of a "supergroup". By that I mean that they are a group of extremely talented musicians who came together on their own rather than being shoehorned in to form a "supergroup" of previously established musicians from other bands. Those never seem to have a coherent sound as most of the members are prima donnas.

BTW, when it comes to metal bassists, there is only one choice for me.

Cliff Burton (RIP):

Steve Vai is also one of my favourite guitarist. Man, he can really make the guitar talk or scream. Had the privilege of watching him play at HRC during the mid 90s… Think his mentor is Joe Satriani.

european metal for me man

gamma ray

stratovarius

freedom call

axxis

alestorm

dragon force

Rhapsody of Fire

manowar

sonata artica

tarja

volbeat

Except for Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Dragon Force, Rhapsody of Fire and Manowar, the rest haven't heard of them. ANd I thought Manowar is from the US?

Prefer this type of slow rock

This riff from this Scorpion song sounds similar to the above song, that's why Scorpion gets into my collection too.

Yup…old school rock. But my all time favourite solo would be Stairway to heaven by the legendary Jimmy Page..

↡ Advertisement