NUS Grad becomes rubbish collector after retrenchment

Ahtong

[hur]

This 53 yo guy graduated from NUS Engineering course.

Early every morning, he goes to the rubbish dump to scavenge for stuff.

In 1993, he had a high flying job with a big company but he was retrenched in 2007. This gave him a big psychological shock.

Although his company gave him a recommendation letter, he feels his reputation is tarnished and cannot find a job easily.

Since retrenchment, his outlook on life has also changed and attention has shifted from career to family.

He has 4 daughters aged between 5 to 9 and an elderly mother at home.

每天摸黑垃圾槽翻旧物 工程师捡垃圾养一家7口

20120105_it_lcn_rubbish-bin.jpg

工程师捡垃圾养一家7口,每天摸黑赶早到垃圾槽翻宝,忍受臭味和白眼!

53岁的许先生毕业自国大工程系荣誉班。他在社会闯荡几年后,于1993年在一家大公司谋得高职,一做就是14年。

然而,2007年被公司裁退后,令他心灵大受打击。虽然公司给推荐信让他另谋高就,但他认为被裁让履历出现污点,求职不易。

他的价值观也有了莫大改变,开始把生活的重心从事业转向家庭。他有4个5到9岁的女儿,还有老母与他同住。

可是为什么要拾荒呢?其实在他看来,这是环保的工作。

被裁前月入八千,哭诉公司无情。完整报道,请翻阅05.01.2012《联合晚报》。

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I wonder did he really say this or was edited?

"Although his company gave him a recommendation letter, he feels his reputation is tarnished and cannot find a job easily."

Cause the Pro White will say he can find a job if he want just that he dont want

This is the original statement in Chinese

虽然公司给推荐信让他另谋高就,但他认为被裁让履历出现污点,求职不易。

I think the gist is correct.

Sibeh jialat , I pray that such thing dont befall on any of us here . Fortunately Singapore got lots of rubbish everyday, if in other countries want to collect rubbish also difficult leh .

Edited by Jasonjst

Sibeh jialat , I pray that such thing dont befall on any of us here . Fortunately Singapore got lots of rubbish everyday, if in other countries want to collect rubbish also difficult leh .

eh...dunch liddat le...i also collect bodies.....aka rubbish [laugh][laugh][laugh] but retrenchproof nia

I wonder did he really say this or was edited?

"Although his company gave him a recommendation letter, he feels his reputation is tarnished and cannot find a job easily."

Cause the Pro White will say he can find a job if he want just that he dont want

He is being paranoid. Maybe finding the same title or salary could be difficult. He can work in any fast food restaurants or as taxi driver and etc. He creates his own path, 走出去就有路.

Sometimes it depends very much on individuals. There are pple who even went bankrupt but fought back. On the other hand, i also know well qualified persons with sound track records but couldnt take the blow psychologically of being laid off and never 'recover' themselves let alone find a new job even opportunities were there.

Admittedly, the experience of being shown the door is not an easy one to pull through. Some are born with strong mind+will to survive/fight back, some are not.

My sons' ex tuition teacher (freelancer) was retrenched as an engineer but he found his niche and become quite a successful tuition teacher by words of mouth.

Very hard to say. [:)]

Edited by KARTer

strange har..I been retrenched twice but I never feel this way instead I worked even harder to upgrade myself n find a new job....Sometimes retrenchment is no beyond circumstance like for mine case co. close shop.

He should start from scratch again since he have 5 mouth to feeds

Neutral Newbie

Read that article in yesterday's evening paper. Quite a sad case.

On a related note, most local companies prefer NTU grads rather than NUS when it comes to Engineering positions ( that is if they even consider hiring local over FT :p)

My first job after getting a B.Eng from NUS in 03, was as a technician ($1600 job). Moved quickly up the ranks after that but it is difficult to forget that kind of experience :)

eh...dunch liddat le...i also collect bodies.....aka rubbish [laugh][laugh][laugh] but retrenchproof nia

hey, expand your business empire to collect sushi-covered bodies..... very the good [thumbsup]

i'll be your assistant to select / pre-inspect the bodies

Edited by KARTer

Anyway for those in managerial position n above....u will not last past 55 yrs old...so u gotto start thinking of other ways to supplement ur income before hitting this age.... the world is nt going to be more merciful towards ur soul..... I jus wonder if he is a high flyer..he shld hv set a backdoor for himself...but he did not..which is strange... anyway....

Read that article in yesterday's evening paper. Quite a sad case.

On a related note, most local companies prefer NTU grads rather than NUS when it comes to Engineering positions ( that is if they even consider hiring local over FT :p)

My first job after getting a B.Eng from NUS in 03, was as a technician ($1600 job). Moved quickly up the ranks after that but it is difficult to forget that kind of experience :)

Im nt a local grad...but I hv worked w local biz grads n find that most of their financial modelling skills sucks....I wonder what they learn in uni....ask them to write an analysis report...cant even do a proper job...not that Im criticising them but I wonder what rubbish is the Uni imparting to them.... [shakehead]

I dun believe a good education is the utmost important criteria a person will succeed...it depends on ur destiny to certain extend n ur attitude towards life....

Anyway for those in managerial position n above....u will not last past 55 yrs old...so u gotto start thinking of other ways to supplement ur income before hitting this age.... the world is nt going to be more merciful towards ur soul..... I jus wonder if he is a high flyer..he shld hv set a backdoor for himself...but he did not..which is strange... anyway....

maybe he could have joined miw immediately after the lay-off to offer free service, and work his way up from there.... could be a MP by now?? :o i heard of ex-minister who was not performing great work in previous job, resigned (before the axe dropped), wore white, then went all the way up to be minister... from 'going-nowhere' to million dollar man....(my fren told me he personally knows him, so hearsay only)

Edited by KARTer

strange har..I been retrenched twice but I never feel this way instead I worked even harder to upgrade myself n find a new job....Sometimes retrenchment is no beyond circumstance like for mine case co. close shop.

He should start from scratch again since he have 5 mouth to feeds

were you retrench at age of 50??

↡ Advertisement