My Emails with LTA over CTE ERP pricing

Wind30

Turbocharged

My email to LTA

------------------------------

After the expansion of CTE, why are the ERP rates revised?

It is not reasonable that one should pay the same rates leaving the CTE to PIE (the exit now is BEFORE braddel) as traffic going to the CTE.)

ERP is meant to control congestion and not as revenue for the government. There is no Jam on the CTE before braddel on weekdays and yet there are TWO ERP gentry for cars that uses the CTE to get to Upper Serangoon Road.

Why are we paying so much when the Roads are smooth? Why are cars travelling to Upper Serangoon Road paying as much as those travelling to the City when they don't contribute to traffic congestion on the CTE???

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

LTA reply,

------------------------------------\

Dear Mr Tan

ERP rates on CTE southbound (TMDM)

FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20111222-0096

We refer to your email of 22 December 2011.

ERP is a traffic management tool for managing the use of high demand roads and expressways to ensure that traffic speeds remain within the optimal speed range. Motorists that use the entire stretch of the southbound CTE between Braddell Road and PIE will be charged for contributing to congestion at that location. As such, motorists using the southbound CTE between Braddell Road and PIE before entering Upper Serangoon Rd are also contributing to congestion at that location.

We conduct regular rate reviews to ensure the ERP rates remain relevant to traffic conditions. The rates along southbound CTE have been reduced in the 2 most recent quarterly reviews in reaction to the improvements brought about by the progressive CTE widening. Rates were reduced in the 2 half hourly time periods between 7.30am -8.30am in August 2011 and 2 half hourly time periods between 8am -9am in November 2011.

We note your concern on the improved traffic condition southbound CTE and will continue to monitor the traffic condition. If the traffic condition improves above the optimal level, ERP rates will be reduced.

We thank you for giving us this opportunity to clarify.

Yours sincerely

LIM TAO HENG

ENGINEER

Turbocharged

My reply

------------------------------------

I don't understand you. With the new changes to the CTE, motorist going to the PIE from CTE do not use the stretch of CTE from Braddel to PIE.

How can you say ," Motorists that use the entire stretch of the southbound CTE between Braddell Road and PIE will be charged for contributing to congestion at that location. As such, motorists using the southbound CTE between Braddell Road and PIE before entering Upper Serangoon Rd are also contributing to congestion at that location. "

It is not true. What we are using is the NEW SLIP road beside the CTE as we exit before braddel. And there is no congestion on the slip road. Can you tell me when the congestion is for that slip road and I will personally go down and monitor it for you.

The new slip road to PIE is newly opened and I think LTA just took the easy way out and priced it the same as the CTE city bound traffic which is totally illogical.

Singapore needs more people like u.

Give those civil servants more work

it should be Singapore needs more people like u, to be the kind of civil servants that think and work.

Neutral Newbie

You are wasting your time writing to LTA or any gahmen organisation.

They have their policies and they will implement it; whatever your logic is.

When you write to them, they will only come back with an excuse to continue doing what they are doing.

And they pretend to listen to you.

My email to LTA

It is not reasonable that one should pay the same rates leaving the CTE to PIE (the exit now is BEFORE braddel) as traffic going to the CTE.)

ERP is meant to control congestion and not as revenue for the government. There is no Jam on the CTE before braddel on weekdays and yet there are TWO ERP gentry for cars that uses the CTE to get to Upper Serangoon Road.

Why are we paying so much when the Roads are smooth? Why are cars travelling to Upper Serangoon Road paying as much as those travelling to the City when they don't contribute to traffic congestion on the CTE???

you are wasting time writing to them

Post it on ST forum and the minister direct, or check where his next public appearance is and shoot him the question direct :D

what is LTA's email address?

let us all start sending them emails with regards to this matter, the ERP at that location is indeed stupid

i guess they are simply trying to recover the cost of erecting an ERP at a stupid location

let us all start sending them emails with regards to this matter, the ERP at that location is indeed stupid

i guess they are simply trying to recover the cost of erecting an ERP at a stupid location

Its a gateway to expand their ERP territory coverage.

Bro, i just serviced my car and forgot to insert the cash card...went thru a gantry and kana summon - wrote email to appeal ( this is my 2nd time in 6 years ) - give me standard reply letter ..die die must make extra $8 from me for a genuine mistake...so what's e moral of the ERP - to catch people like us...i bet they make more out of people's oversight than thru actual road pricing...(&^%#$@(

Soon,the gantry will come down.look at the one at orchard exit next to Istana. Anytime will fall and crash onto cars. Damn the metal all corroded.

My reply

------------------------------------

I don't understand you. With the new changes to the CTE, motorist going to the PIE from CTE do not use the stretch of CTE from Braddel to PIE.

How can you say ," Motorists that use the entire stretch of the southbound CTE between Braddell Road and PIE will be charged for contributing to congestion at that location. As such, motorists using the southbound CTE between Braddell Road and PIE before entering Upper Serangoon Rd are also contributing to congestion at that location. "

It is not true. What we are using is the NEW SLIP road beside the CTE as we exit before braddel. And there is no congestion on the slip road. Can you tell me when the congestion is for that slip road and I will personally go down and monitor it for you.

The new slip road to PIE is newly opened and I think LTA just took the easy way out and priced it the same as the CTE city bound traffic which is totally illogical.

Send your letter to straits times, new paper, TOC, TR Emeritus... don't bang on our state media to publish your letter anyway..

My email to LTA

You're mistaken and the LTA officer who replied for whatever reason didn't address you on this at all. All he/she talked about was why you had to pay (as the slip road is technically part of the CTE).

I use the exit to Upper Serangoon Road all the time as my GF and I stay on both sides of the exit (turn one direction to hers, the other to mine). There is only one gantry that we need to pass through. The second gantry is for those who do not take the slip road to the PIE and Upper Serangoon Road. As such, those who travel to the city go through two gantry's and those who exit go through one.

Same thing when driving from the other direction. Those who exit from Braddell and after go through two gantry's, while those who exit to the PIE and Upper Serangoon Road go through one.

As such your initial statement that those who exit end up paying the same is factually wrong.

Edited by Elfenstar

You are wasting your time writing to LTA or any gahmen organisation.

They have their policies and they will implement it; whatever your logic is.

When you write to them, they will only come back with an excuse to continue doing what they are doing.

And they pretend to listen to you.

But it is good that he questions their policy. This tells them pple r watching n wil keep them on their toes n ty also wont suka suka keep raising charges as n when ty like.

With him going public with his letters n their replies, it gives more pple the chance to gauge fr themselves if what the gharmen is doing is right or wrong.

We need more such pple who dare to question the authorities with good sound facts.

Everything our beloved gharmen does is cost-recovery or revenue generating.

We always end up being e suckers.............until e next election comes around. Then we can get our justice. [idea]

↡ Advertisement