Proton Exora Bold..... Turbo Engine for MPV

Escksu

Some clowns will say the car is good because got turbo. Got turbo means good car, no turbo means cannot make it. Sometimes I really wonder people knows what a car is for ? For reliability transportation or racing ?

:wacko:

Actually, got Turbo these days is better.

This is because a lightly boosted car (say a lightly boosted 1.6L) can achieve the same power as a 2L NA but still get better FC.

Due to more stringent emission requirements and focus on FC, manufacturers are moving towards direct injection turbo engines.

↡ Advertisement

Used to drive a WIRA for 13 years straight. Though it has exactly the Japanese engine, the rest are all M'sia inputs. Yes rattling of interior part is true, the rest of what you said never. Only one engine mounting and A/C compressor busted in 210000 km at year 10, even after 230k km, clutch and driveshaft still hold strong. In fact, the soft touch interior holds so well until it is just as good as when it was new even after 13 years. Maintenance? Other than normal oil change and a period of 100k km, timing belt and water pump replacement and one time replacement for radiator, major maintenance never pass S$4000 throughout the years I spend with the car.

I wonder where you get those info from. For a such an old car, when I test drove the VIOS as a possible replacement for the WIRA, the NVH of the WIRA is many times better, other than the hard riding, engine noise is low, insulation against traffic is good. In fact, the WIRA impresses me and my family very much because of its reliability and low maintenance cost. Servicing in M'sia is extremely cheap. I don't think any other makes can beat that with the overall package the Proton delivers. It's a great car! I think those who sniff at proton never really do research themselves about the car.

the wira is jap technology, the exora is almost 100% malaysian, check up north and you will hear a lot of negative feedback. the malaysian folks buy proton because of the tax breaks not because its a good car.

i used to drive a vios and yes nvh is bad, but for wira money then u could also get sunny, a few k more altis and these were many times better than the wira

for exora price you can get almost no 7 seater in the market except for a used wish or if one puts another 20k a new wish. with such high coe its no brainer what the market will choose. if i have to drive to malaysia just to save a few bucks on servicing i might be better off with taxi or bus.

for those who have owned other cars for reasonable length of time will consider protons an inferior value proposition even though its cheaper. the japanese are better engineering wise and reliability wise. the contis for the handling and drive etc.

to each his preference. but the vote from the market place says its all, cars are so expensive in singapore do you really think that most people didnt think about their purchase decision or explore options throughly so as to exclude a cheaper proposition like proton. like in my post, the drawbacks are too overwhelming.

Actually, got Turbo these days is better.

This is because a lightly boosted car (say a lightly boosted 1.6L) can achieve the same power as a 2L NA but still get better FC.

Due to more stringent emission requirements and focus on FC, manufacturers are moving towards direct injection turbo engines.

Not true. Some manufacturers are moving forward to hybrids/electric rather than turbo boosting their cars for power. IMO, I do not think small cars with turbo is the way to go, I feel hybrids and electric are technologies we are embracing for the future. Turbo(case to case) and those dunno what rotary engines will one day be history and that is why some car manufacturers especially the Japs are innovating further on hybrids/electric. Let's see who will lose out whether going forward with the technological advance hybrids/electrics or companies that remains with the old school turbo boost to meet the stringent emssion. Frankly, if companies continue to find short-cuts or easy way of just adding a turbo to their stables instead of sorting out technologies, may reallly end up running up the wall becasue of energy and reliability etc issues. :blink:

Edited by Renegade777

i dont own any proton car

but during the years of high coe

i use to rent alot of different cars

and i can say wira is a fun car to drive

due to its quick and light to go from 1 traffic to another in sg

but when i bought my car, i choose kia cerato (old version) due to its design

as wira did not upgrade it image for many years

and of course that time gen-2 was hot but the price is 10k more than my cerato

the wira is jap technology, the exora is almost 100% malaysian, check up north and you will hear a lot of negative feedback. the malaysian folks buy proton because of the tax breaks not because its a good car.

i used to drive a vios and yes nvh is bad, but for wira money then u could also get sunny, a few k more altis and these were many times better than the wira

for exora price you can get almost no 7 seater in the market except for a used wish or if one puts another 20k a new wish. with such high coe its no brainer what the market will choose. if i have to drive to malaysia just to save a few bucks on servicing i might be better off with taxi or bus.

for those who have owned other cars for reasonable length of time will consider protons an inferior value proposition even though its cheaper. the japanese are better engineering wise and reliability wise. the contis for the handling and drive etc.

to each his preference. but the vote from the market place says its all, cars are so expensive in singapore do you really think that most people didnt think about their purchase decision or explore options throughly so as to exclude a cheaper proposition like proton. like in my post, the drawbacks are too overwhelming.

Sorry, back in the days of 90s, most Jap cars are in the league of S$90k - $100k, that is why the WIRA was bought at around $70k, even till year 2000, the price difference between WIRA and Altis, Sunny, Lancer is not a matter of just a few ks more, the closest to the margin is the Koreans, like Accent or RIO, aveo. Yes like I mention, the WIRA is Jap technology and only, the engine and running parts, while interior parts and body are all locals. Before making the decision of buying the WIRA, even the locals said wira is lousy with rusty body, peel off paint, window seals leakages. But after driving mine for 13 years without much stated issues, they said domestic protons are lousy, exported ones are good quality ones. [laugh]

And do you know that servicing in Malaysia is not just a matter of a few bucks? A full engine oil change using Caltex fully synthetic oil servicing with sparks changed costs RM 120, and at year 10. I recond the compressor, changed water pump and timing belt, all 4 Mitsubishi engine mountings and original shocks, plus springs costs only RM2000? For a currency exchange rate of nearly half as compared to SG, what can $900 do for the car in SG? Other than just the year 10 "major" servicing, the rest of the normal servicing spread out, those equates to quite a sum of $$$ over a period of 1 year compared to doing a normal servicing in SG.

But of course with current high COE, buying a proton is not a very wise choice due to the limited models available and the way proton is doing business in SG, selling only the updated models in their home ground and not SG. They are bound to sure lose out.

Edited by Heartbreakid

Not true. Some manufacturers are moving forward to hybrids/electric rather than turbo boosting their cars for power. IMO, I do not think small cars with turbo is the way to go, I feel hybrids and electric are technologies we are embracing for the future. Turbo(case to case) and those dunno what rotary engines will one day be history and that is why some car manufacturers especially the Japs are innovating further on hybrids/electric. Let's see who will lose out whether going forward with the technological advance hybrids/electrics or companies that remains with the old school turbo boost to meet the stringent emssion. Frankly, if companies continue to find short-cuts or easy way of just adding a turbo to their stables instead of sorting out technologies, may reallly end up running up the wall becasue of energy and reliability etc issues. :blink:

Sorry but hybrid is not the way to go. Hybrid is in fact one of the worst thing ever created for cars. hybrid engines do more harm than good.

1. The amount of rare earth metals needed for hybrid is a really killer for the environment. The batteries needed is another big problem. Then hybrid cars cannot be scrapped normally because of the rare earth metals too.

It just create lots of environmental problems in the end.

Sorry but hybrid is not the way to go. Hybrid is in fact one of the worst thing ever created for cars. hybrid engines do more harm than good.

1. The amount of rare earth metals needed for hybrid is a really killer for the environment. The batteries needed is another big problem. Then hybrid cars cannot be scrapped normally because of the rare earth metals too.

Well, from what you are saying, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Audi, Merc all must be going in the wrong direction all these years putting in so much for green cells rather than TURBO (that drinks petrol and noise).........and polluting the environment with their green cells that drinks less and makes no noise.

I guess the brand with no hybrid model will be the future of automotives then?!!!!!!!!!!

Well, from what you are saying, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Audi, Merc all must be going in the wrong direction all these years putting in so much for green cells rather than TURBO (that drinks petrol and noise).........and polluting the environment with their green cells that drinks less and makes no noise.

I guess the brand with no hybrid model will be the future of automotives then?!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they are creating hybrid cars not because they are doing it for the sake of environment. They are doing it for $$$ and to meet emission regulations.

The public only knows about petrol consumption and pollution given out by the car. So hybrids address this issue by having very low petrol consumption, hence much greener than before, less pollution. Yes, no doubt hybrid cars are greener. But, what goes into making them is not.

However, none of these companies ever did mention how damaging it is to the environment to extract rare earth metals needed for the cars. Btw, some of the ores are also lightly radioactive. So we get radioactive waste as well.

Btw, hybrids and turbos are just temporary solutions. All of them still require fossil fuels to operate.

Btw, I wouldn't mind driving any Proton cars, even if it's a old Saga Hatchback. [;)] I actually like them because they are quite cheap and parts aren't that expensive. Some of you may say I'm bias but anyway...they're not really bad cars.

There are pros and cons but certainly they are cleaner than conventional cars. More friendly to the environment but maybe not for your pocket at the current stage. Time to come, these cars will be mass produce. Anyway, are you the spokesman for these car manufacturers ? Come on, many car manufacturers are moving towards hybrid/electric and yet you say it is not the future. It is greener, less emission issues and consumed less petrol for that kind of power. :wacko:

Edited by Renegade777

Then it must be damn kuku..... :wacko:

Yes, they are creating hybrid cars not because they are doing it for the sake of environment. They are doing it for $$$ and to meet emission regulations.

The public only knows about petrol consumption and pollution given out by the car. So hybrids address this issue by having very low petrol consumption, hence much greener than before, less pollution. Yes, no doubt hybrid cars are greener. But, what goes into making them is not.

However, none of these companies ever did mention how damaging it is to the environment to extract rare earth metals needed for the cars. Btw, some of the ores are also lightly radioactive. So we get radioactive waste as well.

Btw, hybrids and turbos are just temporary solutions. All of them still require fossil fuels to operate.

Actually, what Escksu said is correct. The design and components of hybrids cause more harm than good to the environment. Consumers simply have the misconception that due to the low fossil fuel usage, it is good for the environment. Consumers do not consider the impact prior and post life of the car and its components.

Then it must be damn kuku..... :wacko:

No he is not kuku but he is saying that all big name car makers like GM and toyota are kukus and also the governments like japan/USA/Europeans who supports them (with charging stations and tax rebates) they are all kukus as they of them never consider the environment before they promote hybrid cars...........in their countries.

cos countries don't trade in precious metals but do trade in fuels / oils, right? thus they more concerned in the oil price rather than the price of the precious metals?

do you think they really very the concerned about the environment?

This forums is for proton owners to share or ask info and not about comparing Japs or conti makes here.Ive tired of goons who say proton is bad but they themselves doesn't owned one.Did you notice that more n more japs/conti makes got more problems??Guess its all behind curtain right cause embarrass expensive n renowned makes got stupid problems

Greetings,

May I know if anyone knew would there be a proton showroom in Singapore and when is the latest fleet of proton cars coming into Singapore.

↡ Advertisement