Man shocked by $82 cab fare

Richard_Peh

post-93211-1326627016_thumb.jpg

For a 90-minute taxi ride from Changi Airport to Jurong West, Mr A. Kochumadhavan paid $82.59.

On Dec 23 last year, he arrived at Changi Airport Terminal 3 after a 27-hour flight from Lisbon, Portugal, and got into a black SMRT Chrysler cab, unaware that such taxis command premium fares.

Traffic on the ECP was heavy, and Mr Kochumadhavan arrived home 90 minutes after he had entered the cab.

Cabbies whom The New Paper spoke to said that this is the steepest fare they have heard of in all their years of driving a taxi.

Wow 1st time in my life in s'pore, heard so much cab fare.... [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

For a 90-minute taxi ride from Changi Airport to Jurong West, Mr A. Kochumadhavan paid $82.59.

On Dec 23 last year, he arrived at Changi Airport Terminal 3 after a 27-hour flight from Lisbon, Portugal, and got into a black SMRT Chrysler cab, unaware that such taxis command premium fares.

Traffic on the ECP was heavy, and Mr Kochumadhavan arrived home 90 minutes after he had entered the cab.

Cabbies whom The New Paper spoke to said that this is the steepest fare they have heard of in all their years of driving a taxi.

Wow 1st time in my life in s'pore, heard so much cab fare.... [sweatdrop]

Whatever you do, do not get into the stupid Chrysler cabs. I kena once too. Got into the Chrysler cab because i was next in the queue took the cab from changi airport to Toa Payoh. cab fare was $47 [rifle]

Everyone knows Chrysler cab fare is a killer, so never get onto a Chrysler cab. Tht's y i think Chrysler cab should not join the queue at the airport, cause no one will want to get onto the cab, unless tourists lo. [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

But its very comfortable.

Try doing a 90 min

taxi ride in Australia and you will find our cab fare is quite reasonable.

But its very comfortable.

Try doing a 90 min

taxi ride in Australia and you will find our cab fare is quite reasonable.

why dont you give some background to your comparison

car ownership in Australia is dirt cheap when compared to Singapore

hence alot of Australian own cars especially if public transport cannot service them

Turbocharged

why dont you give some background to your comparison

car ownership in Australia is dirt cheap when compared to Singapore

hence alot of Australian own cars especially if public transport cannot service them

If you want to compare this way, way not also compare the parking charges between Aust and Sg. Never end story lah. I just want to share our cab fare is not that expensive.

If you want to compare this way, way not also compare the parking charges between Aust and Sg. Never end story lah. I just want to share our cab fare is not that expensive.

then in the first place you shouldn't start the comparison.

Well never say is cheat, but if u in airport. When happen ur turn so lucky to get this kind of cab how? U can reject meh? if u reject behind ur queue ppl oso don't want to board....then how? taxi struck there? [laugh]

Was in town on thur night..saw heaps of hapless tourists and locals alike trying to flag down taxis that wont stop. A few angmohs were seen walking to the middle of the road in a bid to get taxis to stop. Near circular road I recall. Then I saw with my own eyes an empty cab with the green available signage suddenly amended its signage to read 'hired' although it is clearly visibly empty when a desperate caucasian woman attempted to hail it.

Why must our local cab drivers stoop so low? Fortunately I have sworn never to take cabs unless paid for by my company. I rather walk or take bus. Why subject myself to sheer torture under the sweltering heat in a taxi stand that doesnt see cabs coming? [rifle]

I will encourage fellow singaporeans to do the same, boycott these money eyed cab drivers for a while and see if they pick and choose passengers. [wave]

We have so many different types of cabs, charging different fare, starting rate, different route to reach same place, various surcharges though stated, different ERP cost at different timing

You need to understand their mentality. If you were driving a taxi, of cos you would do such things to earn as much as possible to recoup the rental.

I dont think most taxi drivers care about any "ethics" if there were any out there at the first place.

Was in town on thur night..saw heaps of hapless tourists and locals alike trying to flag down taxis that wont stop. A few angmohs were seen walking to the middle of the road in a bid to get taxis to stop. Near circular road I recall. Then I saw with my own eyes an empty cab with the green available signage suddenly amended its signage to read 'hired' although it is clearly visibly empty when a desperate caucasian woman attempted to hail it.

Why must our local cab drivers stoop so low? Fortunately I have sworn never to take cabs unless paid for by my company. I rather walk or take bus. Why subject myself to sheer torture under the sweltering heat in a taxi stand that doesnt see cabs coming? [rifle]

I will encourage fellow singaporeans to do the same, boycott these money eyed cab drivers for a while and see if they pick and choose passengers. [wave]

ha ha...you go there see see...u will know what's going on... :D u want wait for SHA8888 to come also no problem...i once ask a rude taxi uncle...got pple want take meh ?? his asnwer..."""you think they stupid...no one take...they queue for what?? it is a matter of time...they charge so much...they can afford to wait!!!""" [laugh] [laugh]

ha ha...you go there see see...u will know what's going on... :D u want wait for SHA8888 to come also no problem...i once ask a rude taxi uncle...got pple want take meh ?? his asnwer..."""you think they stupid...no one take...they queue for what?? it is a matter of time...they charge so much...they can afford to wait!!!""" [laugh] [laugh]

[laugh] speechless [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement