Woes Of An Overseas Grad: Sg Doesn't Feel Like Home Anymore

Vulcann

Since the part on the experience of the overseas grad is taken from TR, I will leave it to you to your judgments to its authenticity [rolleyes]

What is most interesting is the part highlighted in red :o

Did not know the HK govt will go to the full extent of performing all the necessary checks to ensure employers only employ foreigners because they have got no choice to protect the interests of the locals there.

Any bros familiar with HK or it's policies can advice if this is true?

From STOMP:

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg...me_anymore.html

Posted on 20 Jan 2012

Woes of an overseas grad: S'pore doesn't feel like home anymore

STOMPer Alex shares the experiences of a Singaporean overseas grad, who found it tough getting a job both overseas and locally. The overseas grad says Singapore doesn't feel like home anymore because of the large numbers of foreigners here.

Says the STOMPer:

"From a Singaporea​n overseas graduate... "|

The Singaporean overseas graduate wrote in to the TR Emeritus website, and these are excerpts from her entry:

"I feel that this whole

↡ Advertisement

Don't think it is always the case, I have 4 friends from elsewhere who recently found jobs in HK and the process is usually quite smooth and easy. In all cases once they got selected the company processed their immigration matters and they collected their ID cards (that of a non-permanent resident with conditions attached) within a couple of months.

Provided you remain employed (except not as a domestic helper, after a high-profile case exposed some loopholes) for 7 years you are automatically eligible to register for permanent residency.

(edited)

Don't think it is always the case, I have 4 friends from elsewhere who recently found jobs in HK and the process is usually quite smooth and easy. In all cases once they got selected the company processed their immigration matters and they collected their ID cards (that of a non-permanent resident with conditions attached) within a couple of months.

Provided you remain employed (except not as a domestic helper, after a high-profile case exposed some loopholes) for 7 years you are automatically eligible to register for permanent residency.

So is it true as what the fella claimed that the HK govt requires that the typical employer would need to prove that they have exhausted all means & yet could not find a local worker to ask permission to get a foreigner to fill in that post?

[confused] [confused]

Edited by Vulcann

this time you a bit late, posted few day ago :D

Is it?

Briefly checked and saw one thread posted by bro Scion yesterday at 2:57pm while I started this thread earlier at 2:48pm leh.

Is there another one started few days earlier?

i agree.... singapore really doesnt feel like home anymore...

A foreign friend visiting Singapore recently said this to me...

"I love Singapore. I feel very safe here, especially in Orchard Road where there are many foreigners like me."

I was stunned for some time and did not know what to say.

But isn't that the truth, you go to London and feel "very comfortable" in places like Oxford Street where there are many Asians?

Let's face it - WE are the minority now.

So is it true as what the fella claimed that the HK govt requires that the typical employer would need to prove that they have exhausted all means & yet could not find a local worker to ask permission to get a foreigner to fill in that post?

[confused] [confused]

I don't think this is true at all, because for all the positions that my friends and others I know applied and were selected for there is no possibility of a local not being able to fill the position.

Some of my HK friends were also retrenched and complained to me that most of their department was replaced by foreigners.

Supercharged

SG no longer the same.....

At CK Tangs Marriot, my partner went into the ladies toilet. Inside the toilet, there are 10 other gals; 9 are Filipinos and 1 PRC. She felt so out of place.

A foreign friend visiting Singapore recently said this to me...

"I love Singapore. I feel very safe here, especially in Orchard Road where there are many foreigners like me."

I was stunned for some time and did not know what to say.

But isn't that the truth, you go to London and feel "very comfortable" in places like Oxford Street where there are many Asians?

Let's face it - WE are the minority now.

I tell them "Yeah, we all like Disneyland but who the f**K wants to stay there?" <_<

I tell them "Yeah, we all like Disneyland but who the f**K wants to stay there?" <_<

Whatever happened to the bear? Now kena replaced by a seal pup? FT right?

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

(edited)

I don't think this is true at all, because for all the positions that my friends and others I know applied and were selected for there is no possibility of a local not being able to fill the position.

Some of my HK friends were also retrenched and complained to me that most of their department was replaced by foreigners.

Have not surfed the HK govt's website but doubt they will do that because theirs is an open economy like ours.

So the part highlighted in red in my earlier thread is pure baloney?

-_-

Edited by Vulcann

my impression is that working in hk one will have to speak fluent cantonese.....

not to forget li ka shing is residing in hk who is worth US 26 billion

the wealth disparity is far greater than in singapore

and hong kong girls are vain and pretty [:p]

Seems like the person mentioned in the Stomp article could not find job in aust, HK and also s'pore?! Wonder it is really the country got problem or the person himself got problem? [:/]

Edited by 13177

my impression is that working in hk one will have to speak fluent cantonese.....

not to forget li ka shing is residing in hk who is worth US 26 billion

the wealth disparity is far greater than in singapore

and hong kong girls are vain and pretty [:p]

No need to say also should know that residing or working in hk, one need to be able to speak and understand cantonese perfectly well. But i think even you know how to speak cantonese fluently, doesnt mean you are able to get a job in hk if you are foreigner. Cause what makes them want to employ you since there are also plenty of hk citizen knows cantonese very well?!

upon graduating....TS should come back to singapore and work first....then go overseas......

its common sense why do ppl from india come to sg to work for a while then proceed to the US and UK to work?

it because they are using singapore as launch for their careers

however he may get lucky and find a good job in HK or Aus

anyway he has to realise that HK money is small and the exchange rate of 1 SGD = 6.10486 HKD

but i agree there is something on going on around there where ppl can drive fast cars and the rich are getting richer.....especially those are worth above 20 billion....like li ka shing stanley ho and the others......

↡ Advertisement