Good padlock for my HDB flat iron gate.

Bluetree

Neutral Newbie

I am changing my iron gate for my flat unit and looking for good and tough padlock. I don't mind paying more as it is for home safety and security.Which brands are the good and realiable? Where can I get it for reasonable price? Thanks for any advices. [:)]

↡ Advertisement

I have a Duro, bought from HomeFix. To me, all seems the same? Really don't know how to tell.

But one very important thing is to make sure their bracket can fit your gate.

last time i think i do 2 hinges (wield to my gate) for $20... did not know that the price go 10 time over the years.

Ya, that guy claim that normal hinge, the gate can be open by prying the top of the hinge.. but that time 20 buck so just do it...if now 200, i think i will go back to the gate vendor and complaint why their gate dont have this safety feature.

Just after we moved in we had the sales guy come round to sell us new hinges claiming that the original hinges were easy to remove from the gate and so easy to burgle.

A couple of neighbours paid the over S$200 for the new hinges.

Madness.

After removing the hinges, you will have to lift the gate to open it. Possible with old hdb estates where the gate is not flushed with the outer wall. For newer hdb estates, the gates are flushed with the external wall, so there's no need/benefit of changing the hinges...

Neutral Newbie

Duro look really good to us but over S$100. Got long guarantee on the spring.

Chairo is the cheaper version S$50 to S$60 iirc but no guarantee on spring and we tried three in one shop and the spring was very iffy.

Check you buy the size to fit your gate.

Thank for you advice. The gate contractor had told me about the spring that will spring back the metal or some other thing ( not really sure what he mean) Are you refering to the same thing? He also told me to buy the holding bracket for the padlock to be fix to the gate.

Duro look really good to us but over S$100. Got long guarantee on the spring.

Chairo is the cheaper version S$50 to S$60 iirc but no guarantee on spring and we tried three in one shop and the spring was very iffy.

Check you buy the size to fit your gate.

I believe the warranty is only 5 years for Duro. The spring for mine did spoil after ~3 years. Used it for a further 5 years now without problem...

But the lock did oxidise after about 5 years... Autosol or other metal polish doesn't help...

Thank for you advice. The gate contractor had told me about the spring that will spring back the metal or some other thing ( not really sure what he mean) Are you refering to the same thing? He also told me to buy the holding bracket for the padlock to be fix to the gate.

If you get the Duro design, it clips onto the gate without a need for a bracket. Much more convenient to lock/unlock. But as bros here have said, make sure it fits your gate...

I believe the warranty is only 5 years for Duro. The spring for mine did spoil after ~3 years. Used it for a further 5 years now without problem...

But the lock did oxidise after about 5 years... Autosol or other metal polish doesn't help...

Mine turns rusty just after 2 years :wacko:

Neutral Newbie

If you get the Duro design, it clips onto the gate without a need for a bracket. Much more convenient to lock/unlock. But as bros here have said, make sure it fits your gate...

For making sure to fix the gate,You mean the round hole of the gate for the lock to goes in right?

Supercharged

I'm using Duro lock.

I heard there is a salesman going around, and telling ppl that Duro locks are no good. He demo by using a 20 cents coin and he knock against the Duro. The Duro lock just open up after a knock.

I never personally see this, but my MIL saw it with her own eyes with her own Duro lock.

u remember our army days? the famous albiloy lock. :D that one normal cutter wont work. and then its key cannot be duplicated.

Edited by Rongerald

Supercharged

I think for max security, use 2 locks are better, though its more troublesome

U can use a main lock and another one at bottom or top of the gate.

Burglars are put off with 2 locks, than 1 lock.

I am changing my iron gate for my flat unit and looking for good and tough padlock. I don't mind paying more as it is for home safety and security.Which brands are the good and realiable? Where can I get it for reasonable price? Thanks for any advices. [:)]

In my opinion, don't waste time looking here and there. I would go for Abloy or Chubb. To me these are the better ones and even the military and some commercial companies uses it. One of the criteria for good strong locks that it should not have spring within.

Neutral Newbie

my place used this for the last 13 years! thumbs up!

13 years and still rustfree and working well? Wow.

↡ Advertisement